1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to reset 4th gen iPod "blindfolded"?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Ketola, May 14, 2007.

1. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

I've got an iPod with a broken screen, but otherwise the device has been in working order (suitable for a CD changer replacement for my car). I needed to reset the device to the factory defaults, but after running the "Restore" in iTunes, I haven't managed to get the device back up and running.

The instructions for factory settings restore state that the device should to be plugged to iPod power adapter (not USB). Unfortunately I don't have one.

I can hear the iPod HDD spin up when I click a button on it, but it doesn't get detected as an USB device (tried hooking it up to both Win XP and Linux 2.6.16-1.2115_FC4 -- nada).

I was wondering if someone could tell me the exact procedure of finishing the factory defaults restore blindfolded -- ie. which buttons do I need to press and in which order to get the iPod working again. I followed the instructions at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60983 to step 9, at which stage iTunes asked me to disconnect iPod from USB and hook it up to a power adapter.

Any help will be much appreciated. =) Even if I do need to go out and find a iPod power adapter, I would still appreciate the information on whether or not the iPod will ask for a confirmation for the factory reset, and which buttons I need to click to get it move on with the restore.

Cheers!

2. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Have you tried putting the iPod in disk mode then plugging it into your computer? If not, you should try it. To do this, hold the Menu + Center buttons for about 6 seconds then switch to holding Center + Play/Pause button for another 6 seconds. This should boot the iPod into disk mode and enable you to see it on your computer hopefully.

3. Ketola

Yeah, I've tried that, but to no avail. I guess iPod won't go in disk mode while the factory settings reset is in progress..? Then again I do hear the HDD head reseting itself after I've held menu+select down for around 6 seconds. Holding play+select doesn't seem to do anything, though (ie. the device doesn't get detected by a computer).

Thanks for the suggestion!

4. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

To me it sounds like there may be a hard drive problem, since you can't get it recognized by the computer.

5. Ketola

That could well be. The drive had (based on the sound it was making) problems spinning up, but I did manage to get it detected by Windows, and was able to view the contents of the drive (before I wiped it with iTunes, that is). Too bad 1.8"->2.5" IDE adapters aren't readily available over here.

I took the device apart last night and disconnected the HDD. After that the iPod was detected by a PC. That also suggest the HDD might have failed.

I also tried masking over the two middle pins (ie. data pins) of the USB-connector so that iPod would think it's connected to a wall charger, but that didn't help either.

I guess I've got to try and find another cheapo iPod for my car.. =)

6. jazo132

jazo132 Guest

Yeah, definantely sounds like a hard drive problem. If you are getting it for only music play, I would suggest just getting a cheap iPod Mini from ebay or something.