1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to rip a DTS audio CD?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by thehank, Dec 21, 2004.

1. thehank

thehank Member

I've searched the forums for an answer to this but can't find one. I hope this is the right forum! :)

How can I rip the audio from a DTS Audio CD? I've got the McCartney Venus and Mars DTS 5.1 audio cd and was wondering how to do this.

Thanks!
    Hank

2. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You should try posting your question in the high resolution audio and DVD forum rooms for the best assistance on this particular matter. I don't know of any way to rip a DTS 5.1 CD at this time.

... So you don't feel empty handed:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2004
  3. bulwinkle

bulwinkle Member

Found your question when I was googling for the same. I couldn't get the Creative software for my Nomad MP3 player to rip the only DTS disc I've stumbled on. Figured out that Windows Media Player 9 will do the job. It will only do it in a WMA format, one of 3 types, and you can control the compression ratio. If you want a different format, like MP3, other software I've got, like the Creative Media Source Organizer, can convert from format to format, just not DTS. You WILL lose the multi-track formating of DTS, so won't get surround sound. But, you have the old CD player and receiver for that, right?

4. krahosk

krahosk Member

HOW TO EXTRACT CD DTS (DTS AUDIO) TRACKS:

1) download DBPOWERAMP Music Converterand and install
    http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
    2) select DbPowerAmp Music converter from the Start menu
    3) Load CDA file from CD with the following parameters:
    - converting X file to WAVE
    - bit as source
    - freq as source
    - channels as source
    4) click "convert"

The tracks gets extracted into a non-standart wav file. It's actually a DTS wav. You can burn the file on a CD or a DVD with NERO, for example. It is decoded as a standart 5.1 DTS file from any DTS decoder.

5. thehank

thehank Member

krahosk,

thanks for the tips, but that didn't work either. Here's what I'm trying to do. As you know, with DTS audio discs you get 5 distinct tracks (c,lf,rf,lr,rr) and all I want to do is rip each channel to each respective wave file. For example, someone ripped the Beatles "Sgt Peppers" song and I have 5 wave files for each channel (per song).

How can I do this?

Thanks for the continuing help!

6. krahosk

krahosk Member

I am so far unable to decode the 6 channels of a DTS track separately. DBPowerAmp will not convert the track into a 6-channel wave or 6-channel WMA. So far I know no sound editing program that decodes the DTS format. The only way I think it can be done is to convert the DTS-WAV to a *.dts file, then use another program to decode it, and split the corresponding channels correctly.

Consult this link: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54738&highlight=dts

7. krahosk

krahosk Member

I have found how to do it. Get VLC MEDIA PLAYER
    http://www.videolan.org/
    Open the DTSWAV file, and transcode with the proper options. You get a 6 channel WAV file, that you can open with a sound editor. You can edit the 6 channels separately. Then you can transcode it again in any format you want or, like me use certain channels to make a remix!

8. thehank

thehank Member

Thanks for the tip! I'll give it a try and post my results.

Hank

9. buburuzu

buburuzu Member

I've followed exactly step by step but the resulting wav file can't be played with any player....only noise....what can I do for listen the wav file????
    Thank you very much

10. krahosk

krahosk Member

The extracted WAV file is still DTS-encoded. Therefore, you need a DTS decoder. VLC Media Player, Foobar and WinDVD can decode such files.

You can also convert the DTS-WAV file to a 6-channel WAV with VLC Media Player, and then convert it to 6-channel WMA (it takes a lot less space).

11. tempesta

tempesta Member

I did everything you guys said, and well in the end only noise, not music... I dont understand... I have here the wav´s files, so I did just like the readme said, just burn it and take it to your dvd-receiver dts and play it loud, only noise. Trying diferent things I got a .dts file and I could hear it in foobar. thats everything I could get, so Im start to think I am crazy.
    Why only noise!? please help.

thanx.

12. krahosk

krahosk Member

The noise is due to dts format the receiver can't decode. That's the only possibility.

I'm curious, how were you able to convert to .dts format? I never attempted this because it's very complicated. But I don't think there's real use, unless you want to embed it with video.

The wav files you have, were they ripped from a dts audio cd by yourself? When I rip DTS Audio with DBPOWERAMP as described above, there's no problem. The wav file plays in any dts decoder (that mean foobar, windvd, vlc media, and receivers that decode DTS (home cinema systems)). It won't play in windows media player or winamp.

13. tempesta

tempesta Member

I did it using a soft called DTSParser10 it makes the .dts files then I used another one to make to split it into 6 channels wav2wav6, and using surcode I could hear it. Well I did not rip it. But the original was a DVD-A and Im trying to play it on DTS (home cinema systems) by sony. And only noise. I got it already the final wav files but dont work at all.
    And well Im still trying to make it work, so if you guys have any suggestion!! : )

14. krahosk

krahosk Member

You're trying to convert from DVD-Audio to DTS, or another playable 6-channel format. I've never tried that one. I'll try it later this week.