1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Rip Audio from a DVD and into WAV/MP3

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by DVDBack23, Oct 3, 2005.

1. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

As I have seen many threads asking this question I have decided to write a small guide on it using Freeware products.

1. Download SmartRipper
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/smartripper.cfm
    or
    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=SmartRipper

2. Open SmartRipper and go to "Settings". Select "File Splitting" and make this "Max File Size". Under Max File Size, set this number to "9000 MB"

3. Now, go to "Stream Processing" and un-check all the video and subtitle tracks, and leave the Audio track you want to rip, checked. Then, take that Audio track you left selected and use the option to "Save to Seperate File".

4. When you rip now, it will rip the Audio track you want and save it as a seperate file.

5. When the audio track is finally ripped, you will have Dolby AC3 audio files. You will now ahve to downmix these into WAV or MP3 files.

6. Download PX3 here
    http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/showsoftware_ac3towav_28.html

This is the easiest AC3 to Wav converter that I know of. Others have used the program BeSweet, so if you know how to use BeSweet, feel free.

7. Download AC3 Filter. This is the codec for playing AC3 files, and is a must for all computers.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ac3filter.cfm

Good luck!

Copyright 2005 Andre Yoskowitz (dvdback23)

Also, thanks to aD user Minion, as he is the one I learned this method from.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  2. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I worked the same method out myself, but you can actually save yourself the job of cutting the file by going back after selecting stream processing and select the individual chapters. This is more of a music video DVD sort of thing, and takes a little more effort with handling a few more files, but you don't have to hunt for transitions between songs.

Good idea posting the tutorial too.

3. lmc1216

lmc1216 Member

Thanks for putting out this information. I used your technique and the audio file was successfully ripped but it is a .vob file.

Any thoughts on where I went wrong?

Thanks,

LMc - Chesapeake VA

4. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Did you make sure that under "Stream Processing" you checked "Save To Seperate File"...?

5. lmc1216

lmc1216 Member

Did not see that option:

On the stream processing tab - there are 3 options:
    - Direct Stream copy
    - Demux to extra file
    - Exract to a new VOB - I selected this one.

Thanks / LMc

6. OzMick

OzMick Guest

Sorry dude, demux to extra file then, try that. That failing, try the other. It's not like you can break anything, experiment!

7. Howardk

Howardk Member

Ok, I followed the procedure, but the resulting Wav Audio file sounds real low-fi compared to the orignal DVD. The intermediate AC3 file seems to sound fine. . . however there is a noticable loss in the high frequencies on the right side of the final Wav are using PX3. Ideas?

What I am trying to do is extract the audio from a DVD of a live concert for a band I work with. Then I can master it with my audio tools and then insert it back in time with the video. I have Macs and PCs and lots of experience in the pro-audio world, but no clue in the DVD/Video world. Suggestions welcome. Thanks. . .

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  8. Howardk

Howardk Member

Tried the AC3 to wave convert again, this time with the DS button out. Same result. Right side sounds terible and there is a glitching noise on that side as well. . .

9. OzMick

OzMick Guest

I don't know what program you are using for the conversion... I've generally used BeSweet to convert. I find issues downsampling from 48kHz back to 44.1kHz, perhaps if you check to see if this is your problem too? It has often been the source of crap sounding conversions for me at least.

10. lmc1216

lmc1216 Member

I tried the Demux option and it produced a .wav file. Media Player opens up the file and appears to play it but there is no sound.

11. OzMick

OzMick Guest

If you have installed the ac3 filters as directed, it could just be playing very quietly. I can't give a full technical explanation, but I believe that this sound format achieves its good sound quality by flatlining some frequencies and allowing massive headspace for others, and is thus very quiet. Try turning the volume right up to see if there is anything, or in your trascoding program turning on an automatic pre-gain filter to normalize the sound to something more reasonable like a 98% peak volume.

Hope that might help out a little, I don't fully understand your problem. You said you had an ac3 intermediate file a couple posts ago, if that works fine it is probably more a case of your transcoder. Have a go with BeSweet, and hunt around for a tutorial on it. There should be some over at http://www.doom9.org/audio-guides.htm

12. 70usouth

70usouth Member

I goofed around with SmartRipper trying to start this process, then had to download WinAce because SmartRipper had .rar files, then couldn't find the "settings" tab. Too much time and brain damage for me. I downloaded a program called DVD Audio Ripper from ImToo Software Studio and this baby rocks. No brain damage and the only trick is that the audio file is in a "temp" folder which you click and drag out, rename with a right click, then click and drag into your "My Music" on XP. Love it, tried it, it works. Cost was $39. Concert sound tracks on DVD's can be a lot cooler than the artist's original songs on CD. Worth it to me.

13. Timmy1970

Timmy1970 Regular member

Is it DVD Audio Extractor by Castudio that you are talking about? Didn't cost me a cent and you can rip into several formats such as Mp3 and Ogg - and it goes in a 4 step process, so anyone can use it - saves the trouble described above!

14. vlad

vlad Member

Hi: I've been able to rip the audio out as described above using DVD Audio Extractor. As there is only one song that I want, is there anyway of splitting the file to isolate it? I own the DVD and unfortunately, the sound track cd was produced in a very limited pressing and is no longer available.

thanks
    Vlad

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

MP3Splitter

Try searching for obvious things first :)

16. vlad

vlad Member

Thank you. I must not have searched enough.

17. renmin

renmin Guest

i am using cucusoft dvd to zune suite, it can not only directly convert dvds movies to wmv format, also can convert dvds audios to wma or mp3 format, to me it's an all-in-one solution...check this guide i writed http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/239698

18. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

I am currently trying to follow this guide. I have Ripped the audio from my DVD as in step 3, then when I put it into PX3 it just disappears...any clues as to where it disappears to??

BTW had trouble d/l SmartRipper from AD site, had to source it elsewhere.

19. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

hehe "writed"...

Gwendolyn,
    Have u tried using BeSweet as an alternative to px3? If so, please try it and if you have the same prob, then post here again (or PM like you did) and i will try to help :)
    i have also edit the link to an active download, thanks for the heads up ;)

20. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

@DVDBack, I have been trying to use BeSweet and BeLight but I keep getting these errors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What am I doing wrong??