1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to rip video from a Direct TV HR21-700

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by glanzone, Mar 28, 2008.

1. glanzone

glanzone Member

Is there any way it can be done?

2. willwork

willwork Member

Go to this link:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=1449355

and check out BigBear58.

That'll get your video onto an external hard drive. After recording onto the drive, you can unplug it, plug it into your PC and voila - you have the files on your computer. They should be in MPEG2 or MPEG4 format - I'm waiting for my external drive to test it out so I can then convert the files to flv format.

3. willwork

willwork Member

So I got the external hard drive to work great - I just can't get the linux based drive to mount on my mac. There might be a way, using Terminal and some real complicated stuff, but I haven't had success yet. Anyone else been able to mount the external drive on a mac????

4. RLyon

RLyon Member

Hi,

I'm ready to switch to HD satellite (currently have Dish SD) and want to be able to continue ripping programs to my PC.

willwork says you can do it and the files will be MPG2 or MPG4. Can anyone confirm that and also comment on any current or future rooadblocks planned. I don't want to switch if something is happening in 6 months to make it impossible to rip usable files.

TIA