1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to run snes in ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by timeblade, Jun 24, 2007.

1. timeblade

timeblade Member

I have ubuntu installed and working. I am new to it. I would like to run snes roms on it. I downloaded zsnes, snes9, and snesemu for linux. None of them work. When I extract them to the desktop and double click them, they do nothing. I tried right click then open and they still do nothing. The properties say it is an executable file. Can someone tell me how to run these emulators in ubuntu desktop?

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Wrong place to install it.. You ain't using windows where you double click a desktop icon to launch things.

Try the ubuntu forums, or read the documentation which came with the files. There is probably a file called "install.sh" or similar..
    If you can link me to the actual download I can tell you what to do.. but for now I'm not going to do the guesswork.

3. timeblade

timeblade Member

I can't find anything like install.sh.
    I read the documentation and it does not explain how to run it.
    I got them all here:

http://www.zophar.net/unix/snes.html

I tried the first one for each emulator.

I will use the ubuntu forums for all future questions, but I would like to have this one answered here if possible.

Thanks.

4. deadlove

deadlove Guest

They both work.. the top 2 anyways.

For SNEmul you need to be in the emulator folder (I hope you unpacked it into it's own folder, not just your home folder)

Open a root terminal, navigate to the emulator folder and run the command "play" which will bring up the list of options.

###################################################################

For snes9x it's a little different, you don't need to be root (I got all this information from the readme files in the packages!)

Again navigate to the folder in a terminal screen.. with this one the command is "./snes9x" (no ""'s) which again brings up a list of commands and options.

I don't have any snes roms available so that's as far as I can go today.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2007
  5. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Typical afterdawn crap.. good answer gets nothing.. no response, no "it did this".. or "it worked".. Just nothing..

I don't know why anybody should go to the trouble of downloading these packages, opening them up, reading the damn documentation that is included (why the hell the OP couldn't do that before posting is a mystery.. Not going to get very far with linux that way) and working out how to run the mofo things for what.. silence..

That's like a slap in the face.. fu*k em!

Sometimes I wonder.. I really do.

6. timeblade

timeblade Member

Sorry I couldn't respond faster. I have been busy. What you said works. I did not know what the terminal was or how to use it. I messed around with it for awhile and then did what you said and now it works.

I tried to read the manual and saw that stuff, but did not know I had to use the terminal to do it.

Thank you for you help.

7. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Sorry.. I was getting really stressed out with my webserver (stoopid frikkin thing grrrrr)

So you have the thing actually working and running games now. I think xsnes is the better one of the pair (on my libs and gnome-gtk2 setup)

With a little bit of tweaking it's possible to write some custom launcher scripts.. make some copies of the start files and there will be certain $xxxxxxx operators/variables where you can fill in the spaces with the rom names and screen size/speed/frameskip.. It seems like a lot of work, but makes loading fave games a lot easier and faster once you have worked out the best settings.

Try epsxe sometime too.. It's a great psx emulator. (not for FFVIII)

8. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

All you have to do to play Super Nintendo games is go to System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager.. load it.. search for "ZSNES" add and apply.. close synaptic and now go to terminal and simply type "zsnes" wahla.. it's magical You will want to change a few things after it loads like screen resolution and such.. but I'm sure you can handle that.. have a good one

If you don't want to do it that way you can also go directly to terminal and type "sudo apt-get install zsnes" w/o the quotations of course.

I often over look the obvious too..

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007