1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Set up Starview 2 - THEBOX

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by krazyasif, Jul 13, 2007.

1. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Hi there,

I have just ordered myself a Starview THEBOX from the dealers site www.starviewbox.co.uk and think it will need having software downloaded onto it.

Now i am unsure what comes in the box. Has anyone purchased theis Starview from this site? If so, do you know what comes with it?

I am a real novice at DBox's and not had one before and aint sure what to do so I would really appreciate if someone would go step by step with me please? This is what I want to know ...

1) How to see if it has got software on? How do I do this?
    2)How to connect the box? (to both net and TV - do you need anything extra that doesnt come supplied?)
    3) If I need to download software how would I do this?
    4) Are there any NO NOs that you really don't want to do with a new box .. hehe i.e. turning it on without software on or I don't know something?

Please will someone help ... I like to prepare before hand:) Mines coming on Monday can't wait!

Thanks for your time

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

I have sent you a pm with info. Go to private messages at the top of the screen.

3. CITYFAN

CITYFAN Guest

Hi, Mate,
    I have "THE BOX", it's working great, got it last monday from fleabay, One thing i must tell you is never switch it off at the mains, leave it plugged in at all times.If you are not using it, just put it in standby mode, then the time will appear,that's fine.

4. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Yes thats the info I require:) So you have to always leave it on? Does that also mean for the internet connection has to always be on? As i usually turn mine off at night to save bill

5. CITYFAN

CITYFAN Guest

Hi, Mate,

When you say internet conection, "what do you mean"?..

Do you have your box connected to the net. You see what i have done is just simply have the box plugged into a wall socket by itself, one plug one socket......... And the tv & dvd player on another socket............

6. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Hi, Mate,

When you say internet conection, "what do you mean"?..

Do you have your box connected to the net. You see what i have done is just simply have the box plugged into a wall socket by itself, one plug one socket......... And the tv & dvd player on another socket............[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------

I mean I have V Media 2 MB broadband connection (its cable). I don't subscirbe to CAble TV or anything. I was told by my cousin that this box will work through your cable connection? IS that true? He says all you have to do is to split your connections so one feeds into your computer from the modem and the other to your DBOX.

Is that the case?

So what is your box connected to? DO you have cable TV already? or internet cable?

7. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

thats cable internet connections (which is what I have)

lol soz i hope im not confusing you.

I have V MEdia Internet connection only. My cousin has this and he uses a DBOX where he has just split his broadband connection so one feeds into his Laptop (so he can browse the net) and the other into the DBOX (so it has a live cable feed). Now I do assume that you can still do this with this DBOX?

The guy says I will get everything I need in the box. I am using a laptop and dont think I have that port connection to download the software (flashing). What will I ask to get it at Maplins? is it called a Null Modem Cable?

8. CITYFAN

CITYFAN Guest

------------------------------------------------------------

I mean I have V Media 2 MB broadband connection (its cable). I don't subscirbe to CAble TV or anything. I was told by my cousin that this box will work through your cable connection? IS that true? He says all you have to do is to split your connections so one feeds into your computer from the modem and the other to your DBOX.

Is that the case?

So what is your box connected to? DO you have cable TV already? or internet cable?[/quote]Hi, Mate,

I,have my box connected to the cable,Iwould recommend that, you should send a PM to fergusrb or sc0user, as these guys know there stuff.......They can help you .
    good luck.

9. CITYFAN

CITYFAN Guest

Hi, Again,

I,have a laptop, and to tell you the truth, you can't, flash your box with a laptop, only a pc. I even got a usb serial converter with a gender changer from maplins, no luck at all, i got in touch with fergusrb and he sorted it out.........

10. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Hi

what did fergusrb do? ....

I know that you need to change some settings within the ports management sysytems within the control panel option to get your USB working. Not sure though. Can you flash a box from one PC (i.e. a friends) and then use it on ur laptop?

ANyway, a bit pointless to talk about it until I actually receive my box lol its coming on Monday or Tuesday ... cant wait:D

11. CITYFAN

CITYFAN Guest

WAIT TILL YOU GET IT, THEN YOU WILL SEE, WHAT'S WHAT !..........

12. mobile04

mobile04 Member

i seem to be in the same boat got the box but need the thing flashed .
    would any of you tech experts pm me please as im a complete novice.. i wouldnt even know where to get the firmware for the box.

13. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

pm sent.if someone is already helping you let me know.

14. lfclee

lfclee Guest

scouse can u help i have starveiwbox and only have cable broadband off virgn media ive been told i can spilt the feed from broadband so i can use the tv but what do i need to do it pls and allso is there any software im going to need for starview for updates etc many thanks lfclee cheers mate come on the reds

15. lfclee

lfclee Guest

scouse can u help me i need to no if i can split the feed from broadband to starveiw box and if so what do i need i belive parts are avble from maplins

16. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

Hi got my box today ...

I need the same help! I have v media broadband and need to know how to connect it? No cables or anything came with the box.

Do i need a cable splitter thingy (if there is a thing) ... if so where can i get one? Is it a case of connecting the broadband connection to the splitter and then feeding two of the wires .. one to the freeview and the other to THE BOX?

17. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Yes as long as you have a live true cable coax feed, that is all you need to do.

18. krazyasif

krazyasif Guest

19. ryanmg

ryanmg Guest

sc0user sent you a pm

20. sc0user

sc0user Senior member