1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to shrink personal videos to fit on a dvd

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by Beadsie69, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Beadsie69

Beadsie69 Member

My son was in football for 3 years and I recorded all of his games with my Sony DCR-SR47 digital video camera. All are fine. However, since each complete season of his games amounts to about 100GB each, I want to burn copies of each game before I remove the video files to an external backup drive for archiving safety. My problem is that often the games exceed 4.7 & even 8.4GB. I need to know if there is a way to strip out all unnecessary data without losing video / audio quality so that they will each fit on a single dvd? I am also trying to find a way to strip the audio and leave the video intact.

Thank you in advance for any help.

2. attar

attar Senior member

A standard blank is nominally two hours - but you can probably get three hours of video depending on the source.
    What format is the source video - if it happened to be 720x480 mpeg2 then it's DVD compliant as far as NTSC (North America).
    As to the audio, you don't have to include it in the new DVD compilation.

3. Beadsie69

Beadsie69 Member

when my sony utility downloads the video files from my camcorder they are in 3 pieces 1 mpeg file, 1 .modd file, & 1 .moff file. i can merge video files, but they are over 8.5GB then. I need to shrink the total file size to fit on a dvd that plays in any dvd player. second, i have no way to remove the embedded audio from the video to make it a "silent movie"

4. attar

attar Senior member

What's the running time of one of these videos?

You can't have it both ways - the running time of the video has either to be a nominal two hours for a standard blank or four hours for a DL disk.
    If your source material is DVD compliant and it's two hours running time then it can be authored to DVD without any loss of quality, not otherwise.

5. Bartmole

Bartmole Member

A program like Ulead MovieFactory will let you split mpg files but isn't free. Would reencoding the mpg to a Video TS file for either DVD 5 or 9 be an option. DVD Shrink would be another option for DVD 5 from DVD 9 then too,I think. (both are free) There will be some quality loss but maybe not much (hopefully) depending on the bitrate used. Edit: Video Redo also has an mpg editor but quite pricey, don't know how crippled their trial is, excellent tool though as is UMF.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

a program called avidemux should be able to split the video and its free.some dvd burning programs also have the option to split the data burn it to multiple discs.