1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to shutdown unnecessary programs!

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by patriots, May 31, 2003.

1. patriots

patriots Member

I am looking for a software program or some kind of tools that would shutdown all unnecessary programs that are running on my computer. This way I would have all available resources and memory when working with video files, and this way I would hope the video programs that I am working with would run faster. I am running Windows XP Pro!

2. IMRANmel

IMRANmel Regular member

i am unsure if any programs are out there tht can do that however there probably is
    the best thing is to go to task manager and go to applications and close all the programs u think are running without use
    windows only needs a few programs to run like explorer and a few others
    find out which others are needed on ur comp by trial and error

3. eieio

eieio Member

if you're using a dial up modem on a standard windows platform, the only things you need to run is explorer and systray, systray is basically the task bar and explorer is well, the explorer, (internet explorer)etc., unless you're on aol, aol has it own tray. any other platforms or connections, check with your isp's tech support dept. also check your start folder, located by clicking the start button, go up to programs and it'll be listed there as start. anything in there starts up automatically everytime you turn you computer on. if you don't want it there just click and drag the icon to your desktop._X_X_X_X_X_[small]hope u get everythin u deserve. [/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2003
  4. waiski

waiski Administrator Staff Member

Maybe this will help http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm But please read the warnings and other stuff first before you start to tweak your system. The author doesn't take any responsibility for any problems you might get.. Nor do I :)

I used "safe" configuration and it seems to work ok.