1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Softmod Correctly

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chunkhead, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Klaymore

Klaymore Member

ok heres what i believe your problem is i dont think you ejected the disk fast enough or B) are you booting it with a disk in then taking it out?

2. F3nri5

F3nri5 Member

for myself i get the 'curser on reboot/shutdown
    remove the disk then hit the A button, flawless
    the few times ive done it.

F3nri5

3. sofmodnub

sofmodnub Member

Hey, I gotta go all the way back to the beginning, lol, when I put my splinter cell game in, there is no linux option. Can anyone help me?

4. corn

corn Guest

If you have PAL Xbox, make sure gamesave is PAL, if you have NTSC, make sure th game save is PAL.

5. sofmodnub

sofmodnub Member

thank you very much for your timely response, dude, I wish I had your knowledge. Let me give you a quick backround why i am doing this. I had xbmc on my xbox I LOVED it. However my son went on LIVE on accident and then when we turned it back on, it booted to the regular dashboard. I can play my regular games now, but i dont have my xbmc. When I look in the memory portion, UnleashX, XBMC, and all the files seem to be there. Anyway, Mechassault the linux came up, the the 3 categories were all unknown so i didnt work. Thanks again.

6. sofmodnub

sofmodnub Member

oh yea, and now when i go to live, or network i get the dreaded error 21. And like i said the splinter cell linux portion is not coming up.

7. sofmodnub

sofmodnub Member

on splinter cell it goes from start game to profile settings.

8. corn

corn Guest

Ok, if you can transfer game saves, try using SID 4.0, or a different version of what you used. If you can play backup games, download AID 4.1 and install the softmod using that. If you backed up the EEPROM on your computer rebuild the harddrive, and start all over.

EDIT: Chuckheads FAQ says you will have to rebuild with an error 21, and since you have no option to load the Linux Save, there is almost nothing else you can do.
    BUT don't lose faith yet.
    Follow this tutorial with a DIFFERENT version of the SID. Lets say you used 5.0 like the link provides in this guide, get 4.0 here http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/311710, it maybe out of date, but it may work, and then you can re-softmod with 5.0. If that makes any sense...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
  9. ginjim

ginjim Member

hi i'm getting a slight problem
    xbmc doesn't load

i have tried reinstalling sid etc but still won't boot up

i got on file explorer then cdrive which shows
    cache
    backup
    udata
    tdata

these look like solid xbox files
    but underneath
    the congig.xml
    and evoxdash.xbe
    have question marks next to them

if i click on evoxdash then xbmc loading page comes up then goes back to unleash dashboard
    help please
    many thanks

10. ginjim

ginjim Member

Sorry its E/ drive

11. Klaymore

Klaymore Member

i used FTP it works wonders!!

12. ginjim

ginjim Member

ignore everything i have said
    many thanks

13. sergueiX

sergueiX Member

I have problem copying files to HDD.
    I have used this softmod before but then I decided to upgrade HDD it went pretty well. My daughter was even playing SC for 2 days and when I started to make another softmod (with USB stick as a thumbdrive) when I go to the screen for transfering files from USB stick to XBOX HDD I can see only option to DELETE SID launcher and same for the savegame.
    What can it be? I am using exactly the same USB stick and mod files a s I did before, I just could not figure out how to copy files on XBOX HDD.

ANY help?

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

sounds like when i first started out, i wasn't selecting the correct files ie the ones on the right hand side (ie not the files on the left) ???

15. Klaymore

Klaymore Member

I agree with this person, you cannot select the Big Main file thing, you have to select the individual files, ALSO, i have trouble doing this copy/delete thing from evoX or unleashX it uually works best if u use the Microsoft dashboard, or at least thats what i have found.

16. MoNeY18

MoNeY18 Member

This message is to crunkhead or anyone very knowledgeable about soft moddin... I have all the materials described in your tutorial. Before i follow the steps i have a few questions. (1)In the programs listed in your tutorial do I have to put them all on my xbox or just one is sufficent... As i'm sure you can tell I have never anything like this involving programs and mods... (2)And once I have put whatever needed program on my xbox, how do I change the mods? or are they already built into the program? Ex. downloading different mods... I honestly have no idea how the mods work or how to change them. I can just put them on the xbox. Thanks for the help

17. Froasier

Froasier Member

OK, I finally got the saves onto the Xbox (tried 3 different USB drives and various driver/software configurations, now using Xbox memory card with homemade USB adapter, AR drivers, and Xplorer360). They show up on the memory card with the right names and copy to the Xbox HDD. All seems good until I hit A in the game to load the save, at which point I get an error 21 like Droid was getting. I tried both SID 4.0 from this tutorial and 5.01 from your download page, and I tried both Splinter Cell (Platinum Hits version, from Tom Clancy's Classic Trilogy) and MechAssault (original MS02301L, and the save showed up like you said it should). I did delete my SC and MA saves before copying the Linux saves, but I still have saves from other games as I was hoping to get these to my computer via FTP if possible (it's such a pain copying them in 502-block trips). Any ideas? Do I need to get all the saves off first?

18. iknowuc

iknowuc Guest

i need to redo my softmod because i think i messed up somewhere because now i cant get to any dashboard all i can do is play backups and originals and when i turn it on without a game in the xbox i get a error 21 can anyone help me fix this i already tried hotswapping and it didnt work so if anyone can help me with fixing the error code then fixing my mod

19. corn

corn Guest

Either click "Restore Softmoft."

20. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

Since you can still run back ups make a AID disc, put it in, start up the XBOX and select a dash to install. Its that simple.

Afterwords go into the file manager and delete any doubles if any this may have caused that will take up space on the HDD.

Man you can even use the disc to get into the file manager and some people can just figure out what they did wrong with that. Some people mess with a files name and get screwed, well going into file manaer could help you just fix the name.

Also, do a search. This has been covered time and time again. I had the same problems and I think but I am not sure I may have even gave this advice in this thread.