1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Softmod Correctly

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by chunkhead, Sep 7, 2007.

1. hossiam

hossiam Member

I've follow the splinter cell steps but the light around the eject button turns orange. This happens after I chose check point ......the screen also stays black and doesn't boot to SID4.5. Any help would be appreciated

2. hossiam

hossiam Member

I just tried oo7auf and had the same outcome.

3. atatreedy

atatreedy Member

a thousand thank you's buddy, i was quite wary of doing this, but it worked first time flawlessly using a usb plugin mod. thank you for such a great tut!!

4. omar3333

omar3333 Regular member

Wow. Fantastic tut. I like how you included pictures and how you explained how to softmod with each exploitable game. :)

5. Pardopoz

Pardopoz Member

i dont succeed in SC exploit

can't figure out why, but i cant even reach menu panel... after i load the exploit, someting happens (i can see the logo unleashx appearing for half a second), then xbox led goes orange, and i have no video signal.

i thought the previous owner could have massed up something, cause I bought this xbox from ebay, but i'm 99% sure it has't been opened looking from the status of screws. also it works perfectly with original games.

Can a failed softmod of the prev owner have caused this? i dont think so, cause, in fact i'm failing in applying the exploit... or i could have a very special copy of SC?? i'dont think so cause i see the unleash logo for a sec!!

someone could help?

thx

6. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

most probably you have an xbox that doesn't react correctly to the softmod (more people reported the problem).

it hasn't got to do anything with a previous softmod.

you can always look into the hotswap tutorial to softmod (beware of the error 5 problem if a hotswap fails)

btw. there are 2 versions of the sc game exploit (pal / ntsc), you need the one that fits your game (pal /pal, ntsc / ntsc).

7. iDealisti

iDealisti Member

Hi! I'm new at the forum, so ya better welcome me...

I've also read from a way to softmod xbox via xbox controller modification. Basically, the idea is to either buy an object, which makes it possible to connect Xbox controller to computer, or you can modificate your controller. Which was the way I used. So, I've modificated my "plug"-end of the whole xbox controller so that I can now plug my controller to computer. And now comes the problem: I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate (64bit) and I can't get it to cope with my controller. I've found numereous of articles of those drivers, and some download links, none of whitch working, ofc...

So the question is: How do I get my Xbox controller to work with Windows Vista, and concluding it to another question: If I get drivers to the Xbox controller, do they include the memory stick?

Just to remind, it is an original xbox controller, not Xbox 360 controller.

8. SolidFox

SolidFox Member

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

10. 1964ad

1964ad Member

Hi i'm not sure if anyones still reading this thread, but I have a question. I have softmodded my xbox using this tutorial and everything went fine,but I have one small problem. When I start the xbox using eject tray to start in unmodded mode and start xbox live I get the spinning wheel loading icon then the screen goes blank and nothing happens. Any ideas? :(

11. O_O_O

O_O_O Member

Can anyone help me understand the differences between an install with SID and an install with Krayzie's installer...i really want to get the mod done but no-one is able to explain to me how the end result, or process of installation, differs between the two applications.

Many thanks go to any kind soul who can elaborate for me, and pro's and con's of each would be great too!

12. whitore1

whitore1 Member

In actuality, I don't really see there being pros or cons to either, they're just different methods to softmod. SID5 is fast and easy, just use the PC to load the installer and gamesave onto a memory card. Then use the memory card to save the data onto the xbox. After that, just load up one of the usable games (corresponding to the gamesave that you put on your xbox, you only need one gamesave and the installer file) and it walks you through the rest.

Krayzie's NDURE involves hotswapping, which is a bit more complicated. It involves a little bit of work, but it also works. It involves opening your xbox and "tweaking". It provides a greater learning experience, but if you don't know what you're doing, you can ruin your console.

13. O_O_O

O_O_O Member

Even i know Krayzie's ndure doesn't have to involve hotwswapping and i haven't even done the soft mod yet! People even recommend Krayzie's installer as the noobs safer option.

Any differences in the final install between the two, or features offered during installation?

14. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

whitore1 - that's the second time i've seen the info in your posts questioned, it would be wise to stop posting completely incorrect info...

15. varnull

varnull Guest

Yeah.. I haven't said anything either about that.. but I have observed it.. lots of complete rubbish.
    I also saw some drivel about a softmod on a 1.6 needing exploit files on both C and E .. softmods don't work like that.. they redirect the font file loaded on C to load the dash from E .. modifying ANY dash files on C apart from those patched by the softmod installer is pretty fatal.

Other dude.. ndure is a good and simple exploit to install .. either evox or unleashx dash.. but beware.. it does come in 2 different versions and you will need access to either an action replay memory card.. or an already modded box to get the saves/exploit files on a standard memory card.

Ndure comes in 2 versions.. pal or ntsc .. doesn't matter if you get the wrong one, it just doesn't work.

16. whitore1

whitore1 Member

It doesn't HAVE to involve hotswapping, no. As I was modding my box, I saw NDURE as the only viable option while doing the hotswap. I'm not sure how NDURE can be considered safer than SID, but installing evox is incredibly easy with SID.

17. whitore1

whitore1 Member

I did not post completely incorrect info. And if you have such a problem with me, I'll leave.

18. Who_U

Who_U Member

hey guys, i have just setup my computer to run my xbox hdd temporarily. i was wondering that, while still in this mode, can i install a softmod onto the hdd??

ta

19. O_O_O

O_O_O Member

Where does the MS Dash live? SID gives the option to back it up during the Soft mod but Krayzie's doesn't...surely missing that option is a bad thing?

20. gus738

gus738 Guest

Sid 4 is safer then krazy ndure because its scripted coded to have virtual mounts, so lets say you delete something important like .exe to run a dash like ms dash or evox etc etc eeprom it has a system that can recover the xbox with a click of a button.

you cannot continue the softmod until its properly backed up with eeprom and a clean ms dash.

because of these mounts it may be some slight tiny bit buggy but rarely.

as for your other question i didnt understand it. btw sid 5 is out and is better