1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Speed up Firefox page loading

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by geestar20, Apr 3, 2005.

1. jamidot

jamidot Member

good tip.. thanks

2. dmanuz

dmanuz Member

Fasterfox?
    I just use that...

3. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

compare fasterfox to this and you will see the numbers out beat fasterfox.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Definately! I'm loving this little gem of info - really notice the difference!

Thx alot.

A Firefox Fan!

5. Jinkazuya

Jinkazuya Regular member

When is the [bold]RETURN BUTTON[/bold] since it is said that after typing [bold]about: config, hit the return[/bold]

6. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

the RETURN button is the same thing as the ENTER button

7. PAN5Y

PAN5Y Active member

wow i just noticed this formu and wow it works 500% asome...

;)

8. Ben2006

Ben2006 Guest

dude you are a genius i noticed the speed boost almost immediately let me rephrase that it worked immediately . You are god well not god but probably god of firefox. well thanks for that piece of info. really appreciate it. PEACE

9. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

Just ried the new settings, works great still.

Will this also work for the new version of FireFox 2.0 ?

10. creaky

i was wondering that too.

however i've rebuilt a few of my PC's and haven't touched firefox (version 1.5.0.7) settings on them all, haven't noticed any speed differences to those pc's whose settings i had changed...

11. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

If you just install FF2 over your old install, all enhancements made in about:config stay the same.
    And yes, these tweaks work in FF2 as well.

12. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

The Fiend

Thanks for the info..........

13. chop2113

chop2113 Regular member

Hey guys this is an old chat but im new and i just downloaded firefox just to see how it is i must say im impressed and im a newbie and gstar i followed those links to make it faster ans holy %%%% im never going back to ie unless i have to i notice some sites dont support ff well their losing but im impressed by the way this site works and even a noob like me can follow your instructions which i like ive been to alot of forums and its seems that everyone thinks your a computer geek and understand everything im just starting to learn the computer and really getting into what it can do so i dont always understand the jargon but you guys a willing to explain with patience that i give you a thumbs up im not and old geezer but i aint young either and i appreciate it thanks to you all that participate in these forums

14. creaky

- nice one :)

to others - ps figured out why my previous post was a blonde moment, the settings for Firefox are in a file called prefs.js in my Linux home directory on each PC, hence why the Firefox tweaks are still there (i never clear out /home when i reinstall Linux anywhere).

Doh!!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  15. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Hi all,

Can someone help me with a few things?

How can i find out what ver. of Firefox i have, i have tried it by going into Tools but cant find anythin!
    As i would like to update the ver. & use the tip for it to go a lot faster.
    I've jad DSL/Broadband for 6mths & as soon as i was connected i went lookin for FF & have not looked back as i had one bad time with IE & it being hijacked half the time!
    As i have been followin/subscribed to this thread for a while, but was put off by the add-ons not bein updated, big tabs etc.

So if someone can reassure me of my fears

As this forum has helped me out a lot, if the mods & members are not thanked enough for their efforts, i do as you're tryin your best to aid a newbie that tries not to answer the same question, that does 'use' the search button!

Thanks

16. creaky

@Norm9 - i think the version info is under 'Help' tab (i'm using Epiphany browser in Linux at moment so going from memory).

Firefox 2.0 info here -
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/8055.cfm

@anyone else - i know this thread is about speeding up FF, just in case it helps any Linux people, i'm just investigating my problems with Firefox under Linux, the 1.5.x.x versions of Firefox for me are horrendously unstable under Linux - different machines, different setups and have found some very good info here - http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/08/why_is_firefox_for_linux_so_te.html

17. ireland

ireland Active member

Fasterfox - performance and network tweaks for Firefox.

* Prefetch Links
    Dynamic speed increases can be obtained with Fasterfox's unique prefetching mechanism, which recycles idle bandwidth by silently loading and caching all of the links on the page you are browsing.

* Tweak Network
    Fasterfox allows you to tweak many network and rendering settings such as simultaneous connections, pipelining, cache, DNS cache, and initial paint delay.

* Page Load Timer
    A millisecond accurate page load timer tests the effectiveness of your settings.

* Block Popups
    A popup blocker for popups initiated by Flash plug-ins is also included.

* Locales included for Chinese, Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Frisian, German, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish and Ukrainian.

Download Fasterfox (Requires Firefox 1.5 - 2.0)

download here
    http://fasterfox.mozdev.org/index.html

18. Norm9

Norm9 Guest

Thanks creaky & Ireland->(pardon for the question,you're not irish r u ?)

Im usin ver 1.0.7, suppose that would hamper me. Would i be able to upgrade to ver2.0 straight away.

As i have seen the tabs briefly (BIG) as last week someone asked me for my help about the internet-i thought me!! As im no expert But i didnt want to turn him down as the problem was familiar to me, They were havin problems loggin to MSN HOTMAIL (I'd like to know where to post this as i'd like to give somethin back, as you learn somethin new every day!
    But long story short->)
    I changed their browser to you've guessed it! FF2 & thats where i saw the big tabs, as the only addon i have is Answers 2.1.15 and thats where i noticed with others that i didnt have the updated ver.
    Do the addons add to the RAM & slow it down?

Thanks again

19. Leema01

Leema01 Guest

WOW thanks for the firefox hacks ,keep them comin :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2006
  20. ireland

ireland Active member

Leema01

try this for ye pixs,the must be lower case text

[img]http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l298/leema01/xbox1.png