1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Speed up Firefox page loading

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by geestar20, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

Yeah i guess theres a little speed increase, because im speed capped it is a pretty good difference :)

2. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

Found this, someone wanna try it out, made by OReilly,

"Speed up page display
    To display pages faster, you first need a fast CPU and memory. Don't try the following things on an ancient Pentium II, unless specifically noted here.

Setting the following preference to false is a brutal performance tweak that tells Firefox to process every byte of Web content as soon as it arrives, rather that buffering it in sensible chunks. This makes Firefox web-page handling work extremely hard but theoretically puts page content on the screen faster (recommended only for burning-hot CPUs with super-fast display cards and dial-up connections):

content.notify.ontimer /* default = true */

An even more brutal tweak shuts out all interruptions (including user input) while the incoming web page content is analyzed (not recommended at all unless Firefox is being used as an untended monitoring station):

content.interrupt.parsing /* default = true */

If content.notify.ontimer sensibly remains false, this is the time-out interval for collecting sensible chunks of incoming web page. Lower it for faster incremental page display. Lower it below 10000, and web-page handling will be working extremely hard again (recommended for dial-up):

content.notify.interval /* default = 120000 (micro-seconds) */

For Granny's slow computer, if nothing's arrived recently, then do extra buffering, which saves more CPU cycles. Set to the number of milliseconds to back off each time the network connection is found to be idle (recommended for ancient PCs on dial-up only):

content.notify.backoffcount /* default = -1, meaning never */

Make Firefox pay more attention to the mouse and keyboard at the expense of other activities. Making this a larger polling delay slows down recognition of user input but marginally improves page display:

content.max.tokenizing.time /* default = 360000 (micro-seconds) */

If the user is in the habit of opening 10 web pages (especially 10 tabs) and then sipping coffee while the pages load, making the following parameter's value larger will speed up page display (recommended for slow CPUs):

content.switch.threshold /* default = 750000 (micro-seconds) */

Make a big memory buffer for big pages. Set to a power of 2 minus 1e.g., 16385 (recommended for broadband):

content.maxtextrun /* default = 8191 */

Here are a couple of additional oddments. The following preference tells Firefox to start putting received web pages on the screen right away, even if not much content has been received yet:

nglayout.initialpaint.delay /* set to 0, default = 250 (millisecs) */

The following preference tells Firefox not to bother putting image placeholders on the screen while the real images are fetched, which will also speed page display up a bit (recommended for broadband):

browser.display.show_image_placeholders /* default = true , set to false */

Finally, on Linux/Unix, don't run Firefox with X-servers and X-clients on different machines; that can be quite slow. VNC (or PC-Anywhere, or Windows Remote Desktop) does not affect Firefox performance, except for capping the speed at which desktop updates occur. That is not a Firefox-specific effect, though.

1.11.3. Expand Your Caching
    Your best defense against a slow network is a big local cache. In the Options panel, make the cache as big as you can manage. It's really the memory part of the cache that provides the performance, so if your computer is low on memory, a big disk cache won't help much. Buy more memory; Firefox will find it and use it. If you want to set the size of the memory cache explicitly, use these preferences:

browser.cache.memory.enable /* default is true */
    browser.cache.memory.capacity /* -1 = size to fit, 123 = 123 Kb */ "

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@geestar20 - cheers for the tip, it seems to work faster so far

@DVDBack23 - cheers for that, i'll bear the Linux/Unix bits in mind re the X-servers and what-not

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

Thank you Thank you, your to kind, enjoy!

5. Glitched

Glitched Guest

geestar20 - I have dial up will this make is faster,and i set the number to 30 id i make it higher will it go faster thx!

6. pippa

pippa Guest

7. gstar20

gstar20 Member

try it and see if it makes a difference

I'll have to give this a run and see what this is about. Thanks -pippa-

8. Glitched

Glitched Guest

I put the number at 3000 and i can see the difference good wrk gstar20

9. DVDBack23

DVDBack23 Administrator Staff Member

3000??? MAn i thought 100 works sufficiently... ;)

10. blue1

blue1 Guest

Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type about:config into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining
    network.http.proxy.pipelining
    network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set network.http.pipelining to true

Set network.http.proxy.pipelining to true

Set network.http.pipelining.maxrequests to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it nglayout.initialpaint.delay and set its value to 0 (zero). This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!

You have to close your browser after you make the changes. When you start it back up they will be in effect.

greatttttttt :)

11. solargame

solargame Regular member

wait, didnt geestar already post that same exact thing?

and BTW, geestar, no mean to be rude, but i hope this stragegy doesnt chatch on. this technique will have the browser load the site up alot and therefor will quickly kill the sites bandwith, is this true?

12. creaky

i've been using those tweaks since i built this ancient Celeron 466 with a lowly 192MB of ram, and when i'm afterdawning i leave literally about 30 tabs open so i can cross-reference things; no bandwidth concerns here...

13. solargame

solargame Regular member

no creaky, i was talking about the sites bandwith, not the persons internet bandwith.

14. creaky

ok, i'm with ya now. though i very much doubt it makes a difference

15. solargame

solargame Regular member

i thought that cause im startin to see some sites that are blocking out ff users with this mod.

16. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

@-blue1-

Thanks for the recap....your a genuis! Im gonna tell everyone about this tweak.

@-solargame-

I doubt it but I have noticed with every newer version of firefox some pages take a minute to load, I just think its the programing of firefox.

17. solargame

solargame Regular member

ok, thanks man.

18. sui-cyco

sui-cyco Regular member

i just did the fiefox pipeline settings that geestar suggested.and i noticed a dramatic speed up in page opening.i didnt even close down my browser to have the mod take effect.i had this thread open then began browsing after the adjustments.

so where does someone find out about this kinda stuff?...oh yeah...the same way i found out...the internet of course.but more to the point,what kind of sites?...or is your brain part computer?})

19. exorcist

exorcist Member

It's good also for linux (SuSE 10.0 community version)!

20. gildog32

gildog32 Member

My God! This tip is a SMOKER! Thanx.