1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to tell the diff between mac and windows os??

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by me_24112, Sep 16, 2004.

1. me_24112

me_24112 Member

I know this may seem like a really dumb question, but I am not used to mac computers, and never seen one that i know of, i only deal with windows. so my question is...when a computer that runs windows boots up you see what windows os it is running, now with macintosh, what do you see during the load up process?? how do i know the difference between the two?? ok also, a friend of mine got a used computer and they dont know alot about computers at all, and i asked them what operating system are they running and they stated windows 98, (remember this is their first computer, so i am not for sure where they got this info from, and now here is the clincher, she said the computer is an apple computer with the word "mac" on it, and the monitor is teal green, and it only has a cd-rom in it!!??? i have only seen one big teal colored monitor and that was a mac computer. but when it loads up they state they see windows 98. can someone help me without me going all the way to their house which is a good way away, and tell me what to have them click on to see what operating system the computer has on it, please??? also, if it is a mac computer, which i have never fooled with at all, can you change a mac computer to a windows computer??

thanks

2. matty8887

matty8887 Regular member

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

Ok, there are a few Noticeable features.

From the sounds of it they have a teal green iMac...

First, do they have a Window Logo and a button that has 'Start' on it at the bottom of the screen when the comptuer is on, or does it have a menu at the top with a Apple logo in the topleft.

Is there an Icon called My Computer, or is there a Hard Drive icon in the top right.

Is the recycle bin called 'Recycle Bin' or 'Trash'

To see the version, you can Right Click My Computer, then Select Properties.. or u can Click the Apple Menu, and its either in Profiler or About, something like that.

It is possible that they are running Mac OS 9....

CJC