1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Test Line Out/Line In Is Working?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by abrogard, Sep 17, 2007.

1. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

I've got an AsusA8NSLI board and I'm trying to plug the Line out from an old Casiotone 701 into it, via the jack in back, 'line in'.

I've got a 6.5mm mono plug into the Casio with a stereo to mono 3.5mm adapter behind it and then the rest of the connection is just a standard stero cable with 3.5mm stereo plugs at each end.

I can't get any sign of life, not on my machine, nor on another machine. On the second machine I've only tried microsoft's 'sound recorder' but on my machine I've tried it and I've tried Soundforge and I've tried Blaze Media pro ( i think it was ).

Can I hand my cheapo analog multimeter off the ends of this cable and look for a voltage that'll show me there's some line out actually happening? Or could that blow the output electronics? Or would the signal be too low or something (too ac ?) for my multimeter to see it?

How can I test?

regards,

ab :)

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

Have you installed the motherboard sound drivers?

Yes? Then try playing an mp3 file.

No? Use the driver disk that came with the board.

Sound output??

Yes? Check that the audio input channels are not muted (right click the little speaker icon to open the mixer controls

No? Unplug the cable to your amplifier and touch the end with your finger.. should be a loud buzz.

no buzz from last step?? dead amp/cable or wrong connections.
    Try plugging your casio thing straight into the cable to the amp.. if that doesn't work then.. if you get buzz from the end of the wire it's likely you are getting no output from the source device.

Try another audio source like a walkman.. something you know works. It's as simple as starting from the last device before the speakers and working back until you get no sound, you must use more than one source device or you can be there forever.

A note.. those nasty mono to stereo connectors are often trouble. If everything from the computer to the speakers works that is what I would suspect first. There is an obscure type of thing that happens sometimes with these converters.. Because they often have a stereo jack on the 6.5mm side too when plugged in fully they can short the right channel to ground.. If they are wired internally with the pin (left) and ring (right) to both channels a mono jack will short both inputs to ground.. How to test for this.. Only put the plug in half way.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  3. abrogard

abrogard Regular member

Hi and thank you for your input.

Yes, the motherboard produces sound okay, I should have said that. I play movies, mp3's, whatever, whenever, no problem.

I record from microphone input, too, no problem. I'm familiar with the volume control and I've checked line input is free.

This is a question about line input specifically. And testing output from a keyboard 'line out' socket.

There is no amplifier. There is only the keyboard and the computer.

regards,

ab :)