1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to test output on amplifier

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by zacch123, Oct 25, 2004.

1. zacch123

zacch123 Member

Hello, what tool should be used to test/check the output to speakers on an amplifier. I have a sony car amp that I just installed and although showing good on power lights, I am getting no sound from the speakers. I am using a high level input to the amp that I have tested and works. It almost seems like the amp is not over riding the low level inputs when the high level input plug is attached.
    There is no switch to specify low/high level input so I assume the amp auto detects this.

Thanks

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

If you want to test if your amp is giving out power to the speakers, get a multimeter, and set it to AC. then connect the two cables to the pos and neg on the amp. Power supplied to the speakers from the amp is essentially alternating current, it just changes very frequently, unlike household current which is constant. But if you crank the amp up you should get a reading of at least a few volts, and hardly anything if the amp isn't working properly. hope this helps.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

just to clarify, connect the multimeter to the pos and neg terminals of the speaker output, not the power connections. about the high/low detector, if its a new amp check the manual, or you can probably find info about it online. Sony makes good car amps though, I have 3 in my car.