1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to transfer Mini-DV video to DVD

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by viviany, Jan 18, 2004.

1. viviany

viviany Member

I have Sony TRV30 and I want to make DVD home video out of miniDV tape. I have a DVD burner in my PC. How do I do it and what software should I use?Is it very difficult? Do I need a 1394 card? Is there any documents written about how to do it?

Thanks in advance.

2. malum

malum Regular member

You will need a firewire card (1394)

If you want to edit you'll need editing software (XP comes with Movie maker)
    Then you'll need to re-encode the video as Mpeg2 (dvD standard) then you need to convert it to DVD files (VOBs) then burn it with the app of your choice (Nero for me)

I use Video Vegas to edit and re-encode and DVD Architect for menus and to make the DVD structure. These are not free but are excellent.

You can use freeware tools but I don't so I can't advise you.

3. viviany

viviany Member

Thank you very much.

4. jvillar

jvillar Member

malum,

how do you convert the mpeg2 in Vegas to dvd format. Also can you select the resolution to 720 x 480? Thnx!

5. malum

malum Regular member

Choose "render as" from the file menu and in the save as box choose Mainconcept Mpeg2 then in the template dropdown choose "DVD Architect NTSC Video Stream"

(If you choose NTSC it will sort the reolution to 720 to 480 for you.)

If you don't have Architect installed the above option may not be available to you. In which case just choose DVD NTSC Video Stream

This will produce a DVD compliant Mpeg2 file. Vegas won't produce VOB files ready to burn. You need DVD Architect for that (or any other program that converts mpeg2 to VOBs)

BTW if you click on file then properties from the main toolbar you can set you video properties to be NTSC or whatever for all your projects

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  6. cA|ZeRO

cA|ZeRO Guest

when i capture video from my trv33, usin vegas 4.0, it captures as AVI, how do i capture as MPEG2?

7. malum

malum Regular member

you don't want to.
    To capture as mpeg it will have to re-render on the fly and you'll get dropped frames, also if you want to edit it you'll want AVI.

8. berni29

berni29 Member

You do not have to use firewire. Does your Videocam have an S-video socket? I use that into an external (wintvPVR) to encode to MPEG2 on the fly and then edit in Movie Maker 2 if I want to. It saves a lot of time. The one thing I am not sure of is how much quality I am loosing. Having said that I cannot see the difference between the original tapes and the DVD which I record in long play.

9. rcraig

rcraig Member

I am on the verge of making the jump to a digital video camera and have a few questions baseed on my research and what I have read in this thread.

1. It seems that Pinnacle Studio Dv v8 software will allow me to create DVDs and SVCDs that I can play on my DVD player without all the other software and machinations mentioned here. Am I missing something?
    BTW, I want to purchase a Sony DCRTRV22 to go with my Windows XP-based PC with IEEE1392 card.

2. What is the difference between SVCD and DVD format for playing back on my DVD player?

Thanks in advance

10. yuedana

yuedana Regular member

rcraig
    it's best to start a new thread for new questions.

1. pinnacle studio dv8 is fine. I use it and it is much cheaper than the vegas that malum describes which is really a prosumer type product. pinnacle studio dv is all you need. (btw you have a ieee 1394 card)

2. dvd and svcd are different formats that can be played by standalones. dvd are in dvd format on dvd-/+r discs and can hold 2 hrs of video typically. svcd are recorded on cd-r and hold about 30 minutes of not quite dvd quality video. You need to check your standalone to make sure that it can handle all this.

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/svcd.cfm
    http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/vcd.cfm
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004