1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to troubleshoot the DVD drive or DVDs?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by schnoo, Apr 29, 2007.

1. schnoo

schnoo Member

i have had my SONY DVD RW drive for about 3 or 4 years... i am wondering if it is starting to give me problems or the DVD stack i have has issues... goes from a perfect burn to FMV or rendered movie parts of games sometimes skipping around... other games play fine... so i would imagine its more the burner or DVDs

so any suggestions for troubleshooting the DVDs themselves or the DVD drive?

sony DW U14A is the model

2. onya

onya Guest

Re-burn one of the games that has given you grief, but this time use a much lower burn speed like 4X or 8X max, and use a high quality brand name disc. Howd you go?

3. schnoo

schnoo Member

i am using Taiyo yuden TY02 and i burned at 1x speed
    cant burn any more slowly... i have burned 100s of games

during the past week or two this has happened 50% of the time... so its a habitual error... either with the new batch of DVDs or the DVD drive

4. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

make sure you have the latest firmware update for your drive

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

and burning to slow can be just as bad as burning to fast trying burning at 4x. being your drive is that old it could be going south on you .drives are pretty inexpensive at about 30 to 40 dollars

5. onya

onya Guest

As you use taiyo yuden media, I wouldn't suspect the quality, even though bad presses can happen. Burning at 1X speed as MichaelP1 states can cause it's own set of problems. Updating to the latest firmware is an operation i'd leave 'till last, but a valid point also. You post that this error(s) has only started to occur in the last fortnight or so, what changes to your system have been made prior to these events? Have you tried burning the same files on another system?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2007
  6. schnoo

schnoo Member

no firmware/hardware changes in the past fortnight.
    i have had norton running the past year or two so i would hope anything would be caught... sometimes the DVDs do run great(bought from supermediastore and the DVDID is TY02 so i know they are legit)

anyway, any other tests i can do to the DVD drive itself? i believe the drive only burns at 4 or 8x max (and i have always burnt at 1 or 2x speed)

ok thanks!

7. schnoo

schnoo Member

**just burnt a movie DVD ISO and it plays superbly in my DVD player...
    so i am not sure still what the problem is... burnt 2x speed TY02 brand

again any help would be great!

8. onya

onya Guest

If burning at 2X speed gets you through, then great. A point has been made that you burn at 4X or 8x speed would be deemed acceptable also. The fault appears to be intermitent, have you tried as mentioned before about using the same files on a different pc?

9. schnoo

schnoo Member

i would do that, but i have no other PC or DVD drive :)
    ... as an aside... would a bad DVD drive burner be okay to keep around as a READable drive (and just use the laser of the new one to write?)

10. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

Yes that will work fine