1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Troubleshooting and FAQ for Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 18, 2007.

1. zerojfb

zerojfb Member

Guess i was kinda lazy, huh? #) It's just that i haven't had the time to get around the faqs and none of them seemed to answer my question. Plus, since the XBox is modded through software i'm always kinda scared of doing something that will interfere or corrupt the program.

Anyway, i've reconsidered the emulators and music thing. I have a MP3 player and CF PSP and a PC and in both the emulators run perfect so...

Thanks a lot, man. And a big thanks on behalf of the XBox community for keeping the ball rolling!!!

LET'S HEAR IT FOR CHUNKHEAD, PEOPLE!
    ;)

2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

As long as you have your eeprom backed up, I'd encourage you to become a bit more adventurous with the Xbox. It has so much potential and can be a lot of fun. If you have your eeprom you can ALWAYS fix it!

;)

3. zerojfb

zerojfb Member

I got a file in winrar. it has several parts. i extracted and it extracted another 2gb rar file. I tried to extract that one and i got "you need to start the extraction from a previous volume". WTF? can you help me out?

Forget it... I got it. The several parts were to be extracted to two archives

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  4. zerojfb

zerojfb Member

My xbox is in single boot but i have some games i'd like to play online (Halo, DOA Ultimate...). Is there any way for me to go dual boot from single or do i have to uninstall and do it over again?
    Do you know if there still are people playing online games on the first xbox? Because if this comunity is dead, there's no use for all the trouble.

And by the way, since i got the emulators part covered and a mp3 player and a multimedia disc, what else could i get out of the xbox? What would my adventurousness get me? ;)

Thanks in advance, brutha

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Online gaming is still strong! Look into XBConnect and X-Link Kai, they are free versions of Xbox LIVE!

Simply re-softmod it to enable dual-boot!

As for what else you can do, use XBMC to stream media across a home network! That's what I use my Xboxs for!

6. zerojfb

zerojfb Member

Re-softmod as in run the program over the existing one or remove and then reinstall? I think i backed up my MS (vital to dual boot) but i'm not sure. How do i check? 'Cause if i haven't since this is single boot there's no way i can get the normal ms back, right? i tried to use dual from the mod screen and after dual boot had virtual c + eeprom or same thing plus hd. which do i choose?

I live in Portugal. Does this affect how strong the online gaming is?

Another thing, i read in the SID 5.0 manual than in order for the xbox live to work properly you have to have an un-modded xbox, register with it in xbox live and then install SID 5.0 dual boot hacked dash, ms dash. Although i did read in your tutorial that if you start up with the eject button it will run the normal ms dash with no mod, my thinking is that if it wasn't necessary and it was ok to bypass registration through dual, the manual shouldn't have required registering previously to installing (i'm a lawyer. Does it show...? ;) ). Anyway, i've read your unistall tutorial so if i can bypass the registration with the dual boot, just address this third Magna-Charta-like question with a "you can bypass and be fine" and skip the clarifying ;D

Sorry about the nagging but the console was a somewhat big investment, i lucked out having it modded without chip and i'm having a ball with the softmod and i'd really hate to screw that up...

Thanks, man

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  7. maDdoggnz

maDdoggnz Regular member

Hey im a bit new to the xbox modding scene and im having a bit of trubble my friend just got a new hdd for his xbox but his gray cable ws broken so it wouldent boot up on his xbox so we put it in mine to see if it worked and sure enuff it booted up on mine fine.The problem is he got a new cable for his hdd and disk drive and when we try to get the hdd too boot on his xbox it says error 05 . Now i know this meens that the hdd is unlocked but how can i fix this so it will boot on his xbox ???. The reason he changed his hdd is because his last one crashed and he needed a new one Can some one please help me ?? thanks in advance for any help and sorry if its stupid question but i got sick of trying to find info to help me and dont wana distroy his hdd lol .His xbox has a mod chip not a soft mod if that helps and he dosent have a backup of his eeprom ether i just thort it was weird that it booted up on my chiped xbox sweet

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  8. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You shouldn't be able to get an Error 5 with a modchip! Modchips don't use the eeprom, so there's no need to lock the drive!

Is the chip turned on? Some require you to hold the power button for three seconds on boot...

You can also insert a Slayers disc and lock the drive...

9. zerojfb

zerojfb Member

Did you see my post, chunk?

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Sorry mate, bit spaced at the moment!

No, you can simply softmod over the top of the existing one! Use my "Can I FTP an unmodded Xbox" tutorial to show you how to put a new, clean MS Dash on during the softmod process!

As for you Xbox LIVE question, with dual boot, as long as it is booted into 'normal' mode, Xbox LIVE is unaware of the mod!

;)

11. zerojfb

zerojfb Member

i had the back ups all along. i'm now dual! doesn't mean i swing both ways though... ;D

anyway, i have a thompson modem (has ethernet slot and usb slot) and an nic card on the pc. my internet connection is currently through the ethernet cable. i think if i get the controller, i can connect through USB. I've installed xlink kai and i've logged in fine. seen the worlds, players... (nobody on fighting games! i wanted to kick ass on doa!).

my question is: can i connect through USB (i've told the connection is weaker and crashier) and use the ethernet port to connect to the usb or do i have to get a router or a hub and connect the hub to the modem and split the signal to xbox and pc using two hub slots?

by the way, how much do you pay if you just use the f#$%ing Xbox Live? just to see if it is worth all the trouble.

Thanks again, man. You keep getting me through the shady alleys of alternative xbox gaming ;)

12. Sumone157

Sumone157 Regular member

I have sucessfully hot swaped my xbox. I can play and everything but instead of a green light, it is a solid red light. Whats wrong with it? There is no problems with it and no error codes.

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ Sumone157

Solid Red is telling you that the mod is enabled, this is normal! If you have XBMC as your dash, you can actually change the colour in the settings!

@ zerojfb

What you need to make you entire life easier is a simple, cheap switch! You can buy one here in Oz for about $20, similar to this one...

http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/1877_8_Port_10__100M_NWay_Full_duplex_Switch.aspx

These are all you need to run a small home network!

Plug your computer into one, the modem in another and the Xbox in another. They can all communicate and share and you still have 5 spots left to add more PC\Xboxs!

;)

14. wunaBfree

wunaBfree Member

chuck this is a great tool u have provided> Thank you all soo muuuch.
    chuck im a noob (1wk) to an old but exciting phonomenon> I have a ch@$pd xbox maybe about 2 or three years ago but for some reason the only dashboard i c is ms' original dashboard with that said
    1 I dont know what chip i have
    2 can iunlock or retieve the modded dash
    3 in my memory i c xbmc,unleash is also in th memory but can only delete is the opt.
    4 the only thing i do know for sure is that when i press the eject button on xbox i can play original xbox games
    > if i press power in the lft upper corner is a logo Evox. this is how i use my *other* disk. ( this is the ch@pd m*de i guess but i still have the ms dash )
    last but least i cant ftp HEEELP s.v.p if possible\

15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You don't need to be afraid here, we can talk about modchips!

You are simply missing a custom dash!

Get AID v4.10 and use it to install any dash you like!

16. deucedeat

deucedeat Member

The problem is now my xbox won't start up at all. It just says XBOX then goes to Requires Service it does not even say Microsoft under the XBOX Logo anymore and the lights on the eject button start to flash green themn red then green then red over and over again. In you thread you say that it is a bad eeprom. So my question is should I hotswap or should I use a reader and get my eeprom and make a bootup disc. Right now I can't even get into my Slayers disc. Help

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Have you got a modchip? Is there an Error number in the top left?

18. JFordJr

JFordJr Member

FYI, the link to show the different types of drives does not work anymore. I will find out which drive I have in a few hours, I was just trying to find out in advance. Great setup by the way! Extremely well put.

19. deucedeat

deucedeat Member

No I softmodded my xbox and there is no error code. I think I read somewhere that version 1.0 xbox's don'y show error codes and mine is an v1.0

20. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

v1.0 doesn't show Error 7 (Dead HDD), that will be the issue!