1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to turn off 2-sec gap in Nero audio cd burning?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by timcupery, Jun 19, 2003.

1. timcupery

timcupery Member

I mostly use Nero for burning, but - this may sound stupid - I haven’t been able to figure out how to turn off the two-second gaps on audio cd’s, other than changing each track’s gap one by one, “manually”. I’m burning in disc-at-once mode, etc. The help file of my Nero is corrupted, and I haven’t been able to figure out how to switch the default to no-gaps. Anyway, any help is appreciated here. Thanks.

2. minix

minix Member

Yes, it's stupid: Nero is stupid. You can't do it.

In Nero you have to do it "manually". Instead of one by one you can, you can select all the tracks except the 1st (this is even more stupid), and change pauses for all tracks at once.

If you want good and smart software, use Feurio!
    It remembers all the last settings and windows positions you used, and only burns in DAO mode, so you don't have to remember to select Disc At Once every time.
    This is the list of supported drives:
    http://www.feurio.com/English/cd_writer.shtml

Even if your drive isn't supported, you can make it work using the generic driver, if your drive is absolutely MMC compatible, but you would have to make tests.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2003
  3. jakks

jakks Regular member

How the hell is Nero stupid, its the best cd/dvd burning software out there to date. FACT

4. minix

minix Member

well, maybe as an overall package (I don't make many data CDs), but it's not the best for audio.

what would you call Nero if it can't even remember the last settings you used?
    why is 2 seconds pauses default?
    why are there undocumented options?
    why "Remove silence at the end of *.cda tracks" does nothing?
    why "Cache the the track before burning" is enabled by default independently of the strategy?
    why creating an image is done in that stupid way?

And most important, Nero is buggy.
    A lot of months passed from 5.5.0.0 to 5.5.7.8 with another important stupid bug like deleting the last sector of all audio tracks in a compilation.
    Erradicated old bugs appear again in new versions.
    Another stupid bug (it can't even save compilations correctly :p ):
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/38375

According to Afterdawn, "Feurio is BY FAR the best tool for any audio work and a must have.":

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/feurio.cfm

Feurio has the best burning engine, and it's the best tool to burn WAV and MP3 files.

5. timcupery

timcupery Member

So Nero allows removal of all of the listed 2-second gaps, except the first track. But it doesn't actually add a gap before the first track. It is significantly the most stable burning engine I've used. That is, it never puts out screwed-up discs. Feurio didn't work with my burner last time I tried it. May try again at some point. Thanks for the help.

6. minix

minix Member

Yes, Nero allows to remove all pauses, but you have to remember it every time you make a CD.

The 1st track needs an index-0 pause of 2 or 3 seconds always to be a compliant Red Book disc. That's why it's stupid that Nero allows you to change it, and even more if you can't fill that pause with hidden music like Feurio allows.
    http://www.feurio.com/English/faq/faq_index0_firsttrack.shtml

By the way, what's your drive? If it's very new, maybe it's supported now.

Nero's burning engine is borrowed from Feurio ;-)
    although, as always, they've ruined the old good code and now it doesn't work as well as it should in W98.

7. nik99

nik99 Regular member

minx..
    hey i doidnt know that feurio was by the ahead guys only..
    u have any idea y they woud bring this out (a rival ) common feattures to the best seling nero

8. minix

minix Member

AFAIK, Feurio and Ahead always had a good relationship, but Feurio is made by Jens Fangmeier (not Ahead team fortunately).

Ahead only distributes Feurio, I guess that in exchange for some "help" with programming.
    Nero 4 had an awful burning engine without buffer RAM, a feature that Feurio had years before. Then, Nero 5 was released with a RAM buffer and Feurio started to be distributed by Ahead.

I've just tried Nero 5.0.0.3, and it works well (like Feurio), but now 5.5.x versions manage memory in W98 like I show here:
    http://www14.brinkster.com/testing5/fnero/

As always, Ahead broke the old code in some version, and the RAM buffer doesn't work as it should in Win98.
    See my last post here:
    http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?act=ST&f=20&t=8105&st=100#entry81302

9. nik99

nik99 Regular member

..wow..u seem to live ,breathe this stuff..

.. buffer underun avoidance is there in Nero atleast since 5 me thinks..and it works well.but iv got some of my tracks stopping befoer the end in some cds..
    what i hate most is that it cant remember my last settings..
    and the 2 seocnd thing..GRRr.

10. minix

minix Member

Buffer underrun protection is implemented in hardware.
    The only thing software does is enabling or disabling that feature. Some drives don't use Burn Proof as default and software needs to enable it, and other drives can't be used without Burn Proof, and they'll work that way even if software doesn't support BurnProof.

What I'm talking about is what Nero calls "Ultrabuffer" now (Nero 4 didn't have this feature and it was a pain).
    Burners have a very small buffer and if it gets empty because reading transfers are slow, your CD will be wasted (in old burners) or the burning will stop.
    A big RAM buffer is much more difficult to empty.

But you have to do it correctly. If it eats all memory, swapping of virtual memory will begin, causing a performance drop and maybe a buffer underrun.

The tracks stopping before the end are probably corrupted MP3s. Did you check if they have errors? (Nero doesn't report these errors)

11. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Just my 2 cents worth...Nero has it's User Manual / Guide available for download on their site....they also have the Quick-Start guide but, it might be worth a gander to answer your questions.

12. minix

minix Member

well, downloading 5MB with a 56K modem just to discover that versions of the program and help must match, might be quite irritating (another stupid decision).

I'll be glad if you show me what the help says about the "Remove silence at the end of *.cda tracks"... I can't find it anywhere and it seems to do nothing if I enable it.

13. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I'll have a look and post it when I find it. Am quite busy so, give me some time.

Thx

14. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I have the Owner's Manual (NOT Quick Start) and on page # 44 / 46 it explains it a little bit. Better then I could. I don't know which one you downloaded but, the manual is only 720 KB.

If you want it, either download it from the site or PM me your e-mail and I will send it to you.

Cheers

15. minix

minix Member

In the web I only can get the language packages. They are about 5MB.
    I don't know where to get the Owner's manual.

What does it say about that option? In my experience it does nothing. I've burned the same disc with that option enabled and disabled and the results were identical (the tracks had silence at the start and end).

16. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

Here's the link....

http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#c1002822752943

If you need to "retrace" my steps...when you go to www.nero.com

Choose:

Products
    Nero
    Product Info
    Documentation
    Scroll to the bottom and you will see either the option to view it or Download it.

Best of luck..

17. minix

minix Member

OK. Finally I got the manual.

Anyway, I don't find anything about the "Remove silence at the end of *.cda tracks" option.

For me, it's still a non documented option that does nothing whether you enable it or disable it.

18. BlkPnthr

BlkPnthr Guest

I thought I had listed the page numbers. Certainly if the manual can't explain it, maybe consider writing Ahead directly and asking them about it. I am sure if anyone can answer it, they can...after all...it's an option in their program.

19. minix

minix Member

Yes, I've all the pages about audio, and nothing is said about that option (like in the help).
    It's an option that does nothing: I've tested it.
    (Removing silence when ripping is an option in the extraction module, so it can't be that).