1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to un-install Vista and install XP-Pro on new computer?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by spideymac, Jul 27, 2007.

1. CTerrian

CTerrian Member

I don't use RAID at all. Just install XP, and get all the drivers loaded. Then use any image program like Norton's Ghost or Acronis to image the OS to CD's. You can also write the image to a network drive, or even a slaved drive. I typically write to CD's,and toss them in an envelope. Then I tape it inside the case. That way when a customer brings back the computer and tells me it's broke, it only takes 10 minutes to fix it. <g>
    (It takes me about 10 minutes to re-image the drive back to its original state. Much like a restore CD that Dell and Gateway provide.)

2. spideymac

spideymac Guest

Thanx again. Will do; the CD inside the case idea is a true "pearl of wisdom".

3. bailey02

bailey02 Guest

i have crappy vista pre-installed on my new computer, and i like to use it download songs and burn movies, so i bought xp pro, how do i uninstall vista and install xp pro and the drivers for my HP m8000n.

Also, is there a program or a way to parition my hard drive using xp pro and vista?

4. CTerrian

CTerrian Member

Just put the XP CD in the drive and run Setup.exe. The computer will restart, and just follow the prompts.
    When you get to this screen:
    [​IMG]
    Hit the "C" key and create a partition. I usually create a 50 GB partition for XP. After installation, use Disk Management to partition the remaining space on the hard disk. It can be opened by clicking Start/Run, and type diskmgmt.msc, choose "ok".

5. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Now Im back to xp (thanks again btw). I also read a tutorial on how to create another partion using vista to install xp. Now lets say that vista does somehow become great with another sp or updates how would I go about creating another partion to install vista on but keep my xp as it is right now? In other words how do i split my xp partition?

6. CTerrian

CTerrian Member

While in XP, simply put the Vista CD in a drive and run it. When it ask's where to install, just point it to another drive.

7. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

I only have one hard drive. I'm trying to split the one I have so that I have two separate partitions. One for xp and the other for vista.

8. CTerrian

CTerrian Member

1. In Windows XP, partition your hard drive. You can use Partition Magic, which costs $50, or the free GParted Live CD, create a new "primary" partition to install Vista on. Make it at least 20 GB in size. (I normally make it 50 GB)

2. To install Vista on the new partition, place the Vista CD in the CD drive, and point it to your newly-created partition as the installation destination.

3. Choose your operating system on boot. Once Vista is installed on your newly-created partition, on boot up, you'll get a choice to start XP or Vista. Default is Vista. This can be changed using Vista's boot manager.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  9. smg

smg Regular member

I tried installing XP Home on a created partition on my VISTA OS (ACER laptop) only to discover I no longer had a modem (so I couldnt get on the internet anymore). So I had to use VISTA since it did recognize the modem. Aso, I couldnt play my XP games in the XP OS I had installed. I kept getting a error when I tried to load a game. I even tried using Dameon tools to play them virtually in my XP partition etc. No luck again.

10. CTerrian

CTerrian Member

While in Vista, open Device Manager, and find out the name of the modem. Then go to the Acer site and see if they have a driver that supports XP.
    Without knowing the which modem you have, it's a difficult to help you.
    Here is a list of drivers for Acer: http://tinyurl.com/25x9jj

11. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks alot CTerrian. You are the first person to help me with this. My laptop is an ACER Aspire 5570Z. My modem is Agere. In properties under General its called Agere Systems HDA Modem. Under Diagnostics its Hardware ID is: HDAUDIO\FUNC_02&VEN_11C1&DEV_3026
    I went to Acer and downloaded the drivers for an Acer 5570 laptop for Win XP OS (because they didnt have anything listed for 5570Z). I asumed that 5570 and 5570Z would be almost the same since there were only 2 items listed for 5570Z (Emanagement something & a security patch I believe and that was all they had for that model which is mine). In fact while I was in the 5570 section, I downloaded everything they had that was for XP OS for that model (5570). They had 2 drivers for the modem for XP OS. So I don't know which is the correct one to use. One is:
    TM4220_MODEM and the other one is AS3680_MODEM. I appreciate this help very much friend.:)

12. CTerrian

CTerrian Member

Simply choose the Aspire-5570 and then choose the Agere Modem driver v2.1.63.0 modem. You will see the driver is for XP. Download it, and try it. You won't hurt anything. Let us know if that works.

Here's another one; http://tinyurl.com/ysbdk9

13. smg

smg Regular member

I just noticed that my driver is version 2.1.74.0. I didnt think until just now to look for it on my computer.