1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Untether Jailbreak your iPod Touch 2nd Generation

Discussion in 'iPhone - Unlocking and hacking' started by Vaiin, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Vaiin

Vaiin Member

I posted this in the wrong section last time ... sorry about that.

This is a tutorial teaching users how to jailbreak their 2nd Generation iPod Touch. By Jailbreaking your iPod, you allow programs/applications to edit/modify the GUI and settings of the iPod. This includes alternate themes, games, utilities, command lines, and etc.

REMINDER!: This will erase all applications, music, videos, and etc from your iPod. You can put them on afterword, but they will not be there when you finish Jailbreaking your iPod (If they are in your iTunes, you can have them synced back on).

Credit to the developers of QuickFreedom for making the program.

Requirements:

• iPod Touch 2nd Generation
    • Original 2.2.1 Firmware (I suggest making a back-up, or downloading it)
    • iPod USB Cable
    • Around 20-30 minutes (maybe more depending on your computer's specifications)
    • QuickFreedom - Download here: http://ipod2g.info/Download/click.php?id=1
    • LIBUSB (QuickFreedom WILL INSTALL THIS)

Step 1.
    Open QuickFreedom.

[​IMG]

Step 2.
    Click the button that says "Jailbreak iPod."

[​IMG]

Step 4.
    Install LIBUSB, by clicking on the "INSTALL LIBUSB" button. QuickFreedom will tell you if you already have LIBUSB installed.

[​IMG]

Step 5.
    Once LIBUSB is installed, and QuickFreedom has found your Original 2.2.1 Firmware, click the next button.

[​IMG]

Step 6.
    If you want to change your boot/recovery logos, then click the "Change..." button. Make sure to click "Install Installer" if you want to have Installer on your iPod for Apps, Themes, and etc.

[​IMG]
    Step 7.
    I chose the logo above (I didn't choose a recovery, but you're more than welcome to). Next, click the "Create Firmware" button.

[​IMG]

Step 8.
    This seemed to be one of the longer steps of the jailbreaking. Your computer will take 5-10 (probably longer) minutes to create the firmware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Step 9.
    After it finishes, a message will appear, and the Custom Firmware will be placed on your desktop.

[​IMG]

(The Custom Firmware on my desktop)

[​IMG]

Step 10.
    Now, press next in QuickFreedom, and you will see a new screen. Click on the button that says DFU Instructions.

[​IMG]

Step 11.
    A new window will pop up and give you instructions to:

Unplug your iPod and turn it off, by holding down the power button (the button on the top left of the iPod):

[​IMG]

Step 12.
    The image will change and you will have to hold Home and Power together for 10 seconds.

[​IMG]

Step 13.
    Then, release POWER and CONTINUE HOLDING HOME for 30 seconds (the whole 30 seconds is not necessary, but it's good just in case).

[​IMG]

Step 14.
    Now, your iPod Touch should be in DFU/Recovery mode. iTunes will pop up and tell you that the iPod is in recovery mode, and your iPod's settings will look a tad weird, but that is supposed to happen.

Go back into QuickFreedom, and click the button that says "Pre-Jailbreak."

[​IMG]

Step 15.
    QuickFreedom will complete the pre-jailbreak and your iPod screen should turn white.
    Next, open iTunes and go to your iPod Touch's page. You need to HOLD SHIFT AND CLICK button that says "Restore."

[​IMG]

Step 16.
    Another window will open and you will need to choose your Custom Firmware and click "Open."

[​IMG]

Step 17.
    Wait until the iPod finishes restoring with the new custom firmware. Then, you will be asked to set up the iPod in iTunes.

MAKE SURE: Set up the iPod as a NEW iPod. You already have all of your information erased, so it won't change anything.

(Unfortunately I don't have pictures for this last step)

---

Now you are done! Your iPod is Jailbroken and you will have the Installer (if you chose to have it installed in Step 6.

Pictures of my iPod after Jailbreaking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you need to ask any questions, please post them here, and I or another member will gladly try to help you out!

2. random10

random10 Member

is this safe?? because i had an ipod touch before and tried to jailbreak it but it got bricked. i got a new one yesterday. will this method work on it. my ipod is a 8gb 2nd generation firmware 2.2.1.

3. Vaiin

Vaiin Member

I can't think of any reason why this tutorial wouldn't work for you 8gb iTouch, as long as it meets the requirements I specified.

I've had mine jailbroken for a while and it hasn't been bricked yet.

4. jacob2343

jacob2343 Member

Thank you so much for this tutorial, this worked perfectly for me no problems just make sure you run libusb and quickfreedom in compatibility mode if you have vista. I highly recommend this, two thumbs up! :)

5. Vanilla66

Vanilla66 Member

followed tut and jailbroke a 32GB ipod touch 2nd gen 2.2.1,
    worked flawlessly, thx

6. fuel_f2f

fuel_f2f Regular member

Asking to get this stickied.