1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to update evox / do i need to remove the 007 save file

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Agathon11, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

Here's what I'm working with:
    I have an original xbox with no mod chip and the standard hdd. It has EvolutionX v3935 I think. Not sure how to check the version regardless I'm sure it's old. I'm new to all this and I used the 007 agent under fire game and action replay to get this far. Now I just have a few questions.

1. Do I need to leave the 007 save file that had the itools thing on my xbox or am I done with it?
    2. What's the latest version of this EvolutionX fw and is there something better that I should be using?
    3. How do I go about updating to the new EvolutionX or other fw?

2. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

From what I can gather evox is old and has few options. I read some people talking about XBMC Installer Deluxe v1.10 is that a good one? Is it the latest version of that firmware? Will it install on my xbox with the standard hdd and no mod chip? How do I install it?

3. scum101

scum101 Guest

now you have evox on your softmod LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! .. you would not believe how many people we get here every few days who try using xbmc as a dash and screwing everything up in a way that can't be recovered.

evox is THE gaming dash.. forget liars who would tell you otherwise and say it's limited.. it isn't as it has all the network settings and game region settings and everything else you need to play games from everywhere.. they are spouting BS when they say xbmc and unleash and avalaunch have those options... because they don't..

what you need now are some apps.. and the are installed to E:\apps or whatever looks similar.. touch NOTHING on C .. at all.. and leave E:\dash alone as well..

4. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

Whew well that's good to hear. So There's not a newer version of evox I should upgrade to for more features or compatibility?

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

6. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

Sorry about that Creaky. Anyway I thought I was going to be able to play DVD movies now but it says I need the Microsoft DVD remote thingy. Do I need to install some kind of media player to make it work? I'm waiting on my cross over cable to get here so I can FTP and transfer a bunch of stuff. In the mean time I would like to know if it's possible to play movies off my pc's hard drive or at least copy over the .avi to my xbox then delete when I'm done? I know i have been asking alot of questions so if you don't want/feel like answering maybe you could just point me to some information on what i'm trying to do. Thanks again for the help.

7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  8. creaky

I only have a couple Evox machines and they're not here at the moment so i can't remember how the DVD playing side of thing goes (in Evox). All my consoles here are UnleashX, i have a feeling that Evox itself doesn't play movie DVD's (scum101 or someone else can happily prove me wrong, Evox isn't my favourite thing in the world, not helped by the main Evox box always playing up, hence why it's not here). I just tried an UnleashX console and while it recognised the (retail) movie disc in the tray, it wouldn't play it. So i started up XBMC as that's how i do all my movie watching anyways and of course it plays.
    I do have the official Microsoft remote control and dongle kits, i know exactly what message screen you're referring to (something abcou having to have a playback kit) but i can't remember the exact text of the message but i do know the message is from one of the xbox's original 'flubber' screens.

I see scorpNZ has replied with a couple links while i've been writing this reply, his links no doubt explain the AVI side of things.
    I've just got back from my kids' house actually, just hooked up an xbox for them that has a 250GB hard drive in, so loads of room for games and i put a bunch of movies and music on there too so they have a nice multimedia system for the bedroom. It's not networked yet but it would only take a spare 100mbit switch then they can hook up a laptop to it or whatever.

scorpNZ makes a good point about the AID discs, however i no longer use those for installing XBMC (my favourite App it has to be said, and the only real reason why i got all my xboxes in the first place though i do like playing games on them with the kids).
    I personally prefer to get XBMC from here ~ http://t3ch.yi.se/ - i just pick the stable build, extract the zipfile to a temporary directory and FTP the whole thing over to the xbox, into E:\Apps.

I use the same XBMC build across all xboxes and i've done it that often that i know where all the user settings are in XBMC so it's dead easy to save those files out of the way and FTP the same XBMC directory structure to each xbox in turn, then copy back the user files.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@ creaky:-The links are for ftp only ,like you say xbmc as an app would be the way to go to play movies since it does the share thingy as well

@Agathlon
    It would pay to get the AID disc btjunkie or tpb should still have it there,get 4.50 & the update pack 4.51 instructions to combine come with it,you can use it to create backups of eeeprom c & e,can't comment much on softmod can't comment much on hard mod either as i've only just figured out how to get pass the original ms screen & auto load into xbmc & i'm still recovering from the headache..lmao

10. creaky

Yeah don't get me wrong, Auto-Installer Deluxe are excellent discs (superceded by XBMC Installer Deluxe), packed with loads of goodies, here's some info on them ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_jump.cfm/557450/4127036 i just prefer to use the T3CH builds of XBMC now, i don't bother with the 'bleeding edge' builds, ie a developer coughs and there's a new build out, i prefer the stable builds, even if they aren't updated that often.
    Some of the AID downloads are still available ~ http://www.aidtracker.com

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I think i'm still on 8.04 on all but one hdd,or whatever build was around in late 07-early 08 as i didn't install the chips,hdd extenders or the dashes,i've only just now decided to update xbmc on all,i booked marked the xbmc build site you mention from another post you made round here somewhere the other day or so ago,very handy coz i don't think the wiki points to it all ya get is some stupid repository ithe links were like opening a box only to find another one inside it & so on & so forth...lol..

12. creaky

I can't really recommend a particular build, the last half a dozen or so i've used were all very stable and not many bugs that i could see, so not sure you'd gain anything in moving to 9.04, but if you do make sure to backup your settings, if i recall correctly they're all stored in /E/Apps/XBMC/UserData, cover art lives in /E/Apps/XBMC/UserData/Thumbnails/Video (my cover art folder is over 500MB)

13. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

Thanks for the reply's but now I have a new problem. I burnt GTA San Andreas twice and each time I can play for a little while (like 5 min or less) Then I get a disc read error. After some searching many people have problems with Evox and getting the game to load. I have tried adjusting the game region and the tsr which are fixes for getting the game to load but i don't think that's my problem. I'm using Sony dvd's and I burn with Nero Burning Rom 9 and my other games are playing fine. Any ideas?

14. creaky

I can't even remember the last time i burnt an xbox game, i always used Qwix for my games ~ http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450 and burnt with Nero or imgburn as once the game files are in ISO format it doesn't matter what program you use to burn. Maybe you didn't do something correctly when preparing the game files ?. I'm not very knowledgable on the game side of things, suffice it to say that using Qwix resulted in all my many games working.
    Don't forget that you can use DVD2XBox to install games to the hard drive too.. that's what i do, i don't use game discs anymore, they're gathering dust in my wardrobe. I keep all the games on a 500GB hard drive in a USB2.0 enclosure so that if ever i or the kids want a particular game on an xbox we just FTP whichever game files over from the 500GB drive.

15. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

I burnt and ripped it the same way as my other games it's just odd I'll try it on my hdd when I get my cross over cable. (should be here today)

16. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

I downloaded aid 4.50 and the aid 4.51 update pack and i'm a little confused. I see the 4.50 iso but how do i apply the 4.51 patch?

17. creaky

Those update packs annoy the hell out of me, i often get them wrong despite following the instructions to the letter. Have a read thru the readme(s) and it's not so bad, just make sure to keep a copy to one side if you bugger up the merge :)
    In fact thinking about it i ditched 4.50 and kept 4.40 as my latest install disc, there's hardly anything new after 4.40, and 4.50 was the last one before they moved to XBMC Installer Deluxe, but as i said further up the thread, i ditched that as well as i use T3CH for my XBMC builds now.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  18. Agathon11

Agathon11 Member

Never mind I found some instructions and got it working. I have Evox already installed and I want to replace it with unleash. Do I just go dashboard section > install E drive dash (softmod)? I'm supposed to always stay away from C: right? So is E: where I want/need it?

19. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yes you install it as a dash or better still as an app,it will then create a shortcut at C called UNLEASH.XBE or something like that,creaky can confirm it; however this method worked for me but i have a modchip

After install of unleash rename xboxdash.xbe inside C to Evoxdash.xbe,then rename UNLEASH.xbe to xboxdash.xbe & your all set,you can still get evox to boot after unleash has booted by using file manager or whatever to locate the newly renamed Evoxdash.xbe

Again do not attempt till creaky confirms or scum if she happens across

20. creaky

I don't know enough about messing about with the XBE files manually, i have done it a few times and got things to work but i faffed about without doing it properly as i would just re-softmod if i broke something, so wouldn't be confident recommending what to change and how, the easy option is simply to install UnleashX, i'm pretty sure it just overwrites whichever files it needs to and 'just works'