1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Upgrade HDD On Softmod Xbox And How To Upgrade HDD On Hardmod Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by TheReturn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. xbizzy

xbizzy Member

hey 115729, tried to reply through email but it came back undeliverable. anyway here was the gist, dont really remember what i did but now i have a download manager (free download manager, works wonders downloading on 56k. i totally recommend) that downloaded it fine for me with no extension so i just zipped it for ya. you can try that but if it doesnt work drop me a line with whats happening and where.

for those who cant get the backup script for ndure - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DY0JVV2I (in zip archive so its not appended with .htm or .txt and not sure how long its active so if it goes dead email me for a copy.)

2. 115729

115729 Guest

hey cool thanks. I just went ahead and did the softmod without updateing the script. Think it worked fine but got a message saying my harddrive was full? (still like 300 Mb on it) anyways i now have ftp access to my box so thats all i care about. Now all i need to know is how to get that eeprom.bin file. saw something about putting config magic on there but i have no idea how to install stuff to xbox lol. just need to backup eeprom.bin i think so i can copy it to computer any suggestions?

3. 115729

115729 Guest

Ok so apperantly evolution x gets installed when u do the ndure mod. I found it activated it, it took me to the spot where i can backup my eeprom. I did. So then i found a file called boot.bin thats 256k so i think that must be my eeprom? (ive been searching for a file called eeprom.bin) so now i got that on my computer and guna try to make a new harddrive.

4. 115729

115729 Guest

also if u know anything about emulators (where to DL them and roms +how to put them on box ) or anything about running Linux on the xbox that would be realy nice info to know,
    Thanks

5. 115729

115729 Guest

ok feel stupid, found the actual eeprom.bin under evox then e then backup lol its not 256k its 256 bytes so i went through alot by haveing the wrong file lol hope that helps anyone else who sees this. (eeprom shows up as 1k on windows btw)

6. vdojunkie

vdojunkie Member

need help i installed a hdd that is 200gig. but my xbox only reads about 129 gig. what m i doing wrong. i have a hardmod. & using slayer's auto installer 2.7... THX in advance

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

which bios do you have? do you know how to reflash bios? which version of your xbox?

YOu have the old bios. That is it.

8. vdojunkie

vdojunkie Member

if im not mistaken i have evolx m7

Last edited: May 18, 2007
  9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

10. auggiejm

auggiejm Member

Worked good for me. Had some issues with locking the HD but I found a post where if you do just leave the ide cable unattached until just before you chose 3 for the locking option. I put a 250 gig drive in but I beleive I only formated the F drive before locking and placing in my xbox. I don't see a G drive so question is did I mess up or is there a way to format it with opening the xbox? Thank for all the TUTs and letting me be lazy :)

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

which dashboard do you have? do you have any autoinstaller disk?

12. auggiejm

auggiejm Member

XBMC-Xbox media center. No I don't have an autoinstaller disk. If a different dashboard would help though I could always swap.

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I see. Go ahead to download UnleashX dashboard. Extract it. Then do ftp and ftp it to F drive.

On xbox goto file explorer then select F drive and look for default.xbe of UnleashX. Click on it. Unleash dash will load up.

ON unleash dash, goto settings and look for FORMAT. Then select format G drive ONLY. DONE.

14. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

hiya,
    i just "borrowed' these hds from a rather "less-needy" source ....(both are formatted btw)
    -One's a 250 gb maxtor ata hd...
    -The other's a 200 gb maxtor pata hd....
    so will any of these (if not both) be suitable for an hd upgrade???

And again, dude i appreciate the help.

out........
    PS..checkout this link too..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Attachment

15. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

The ATA hdd works 100%. The PATA may not work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2007
  16. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Member

I recently upgraded my softmodded xbox with a 120GB drive. I was getting the impression that I couldnt use any larger drive or it would cut the remaining space off at 137GB. But then I read a little more about flashing the BIOS and/or to enable a G: drive. Im using Auto Installer Deluxe 4.01 to prepare the drive. So can I use AID to make a G: on say a 500GB drive, and I would have a 137GB F:, and a 363GB G:? All without flashing the box?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Forget the BIOS, that's old skool and nobody touches it anymore, its dangerous.

The Xbox will cut of the F:\ at 137GB. However, using UnleashX, you can format a G:\ and get the remaining space!

There is no size restriction.

Click on my tutorials to find out how to upgrade the drive and also how to enable the added space.

18. 0S1R1S

0S1R1S Member

Do I have to continue to use unleashx after I create the G:? Or can I just prepare it, and then use XBMC. As of now, im using the newest version of xbmc, it has a G: drive listed on the menu screen, I know obviously dont have a G because its only 120, but would it just recognize the extra space in XBMC when I would add a larger drive? Or do I have to use unleashx.

thanks for the reply btw

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

You only need UnleashX for the formatting tools. After it's formatted you can use any dash you like!

20. robstp

robstp Member

Hi I upgraded my Xbox HD to a 200gb Maxtor HD.
    I used config magic for the Eeprom and used xboxhdm_v1.9 to format the drive. Every thing went well, I can boot up the Xbox to UnleashX, I see the F drive with 186MB. The big problem is I can't start a game. From CD or from a copy to hard drive. It starts to load but the screen stays black. Can any one help me?
    Thx