1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Upgrade HDD On Softmod Xbox And How To Upgrade HDD On Hardmod Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by TheReturn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. audogstar

audogstar Member

Well i am still waiting to finish ftp'n xbmc onto the E:/apps

how long should it take ??
    Its doing it, but taking ages to do...

will try to ftp a small game to hdd next & see what happens..

is it possible to just pull a hdd from another chipped console & boot in this 1 if the hdd isnt locked ??? or are they still locked to that console ???

2. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Try to play games from backup dvd to if it play.
    oh, how big is the hdd? do you have F drive?

HD lock or unlock does not matter with modchip.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  3. audogstar

audogstar Member

OK . tried yet again to ftp xbmc over to E/apps & as before failed to load, only got as far as the evolution X screen..

HDD is 80 GB so yes its got E/ & F/ for apps/games etc

Its seems a little flaky atm as its turning off if i go to eject the games from dvd drive or only give the power switch a quick tap.. I need to hold it for about 1-2 seconds for it to power up properly..but then seems to run fine..
    Plays "Bali" games if booted with them in it , but loads to splash screen as like other apps if i go to load from running console.

Also picky with what original games it will detect & start to load , again locks with them too..

Begining to think i have a partially borked power supply &/or chip.

Will pull a hdd from another console to see if it works or not..

What will happen if i use a hdd from a softmodded console ????

4. audogstar

audogstar Member

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

right now, dont worry about xbmc. You just focus on playing games from HD. Once you can play games from HD, then install xbmc from AID disk. It will work.

Which dashboard do you have on the working xbox? how fast ftp on the working xbox compare to this xbox? does working xbox have modchip?

can you tell me the Spec of 80GB? which modchip? bios?

6. audogstar

audogstar Member

OK pulled open another chipped console..

Good working console :
    Executer2 chip & console works fine..

Seagate Barracuda ATA IV model ST380021A 80GB
    Seagate 7200.9 80 GB model ST3802110A

How do i get the bios details from each of the chipped consoles ????

problem console is supposed to have a Super Aladin Live chip..

Will put a different hdd into the Executer2 console shortly & test it as its only chipped with standard hdd / dash etc.. no extras atm

7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

yes put the Seagate 80GB hdd into the X2 chipped xbox. Use AID to install dashboard and XBMC. Then try to load it. If it works, you something is wrong with the other xbox

8. audogstar

audogstar Member

Well just pulled a stock hdd out & loaded evox dash etc to it from AID disk & its still got games from old console... works fine on the X2 ..

swapped it to the MODS PLUS/Super Aladin Live chipped console,
    & it boots fine as does all the other hdd's i've put into it , but doesnt play the game from the hdd, same as before, it locks up..
    wont load a game from hdd/disk or any apps..
    psu looks fine to me so I'm assuming there is something majorly wrong with the chip...

any other option but to take it to the people that chipped it & pay through the nose cause their "sticker" is torn ???

*** how do i get bios details **

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  9. drock1286

drock1286 Member

Just want to throw out there that this is the best guide I have been able to find! I followed it to the "T" and now have a 160GB hdd in my softmodded Xbox! Thanks!

10. Demon1337

Demon1337 Guest

Thats just it i tried and had the same error. The Seagate is an 80g and the version is said to be all lockable I even tried two other fully lockable Hdds and got the same error. I have made over twenty disks so far and none of them work past this point. I have tried two computers and several HDDS on each and same error. I would try CHIMP method but...i need the software and apparently few ppl like to say where to get. XBINS didnt seem to have it when i looked nor did another FTP site have it that had a little more then XBINS..

11. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

@ audogstar

I be more inclined to suggest the chip is stuffed!

In my opinion, remove the chip, softmod it and be done with it!

Get the eeprom via the chip first though!

;)

12. ssbs

ssbs Member

is there a limit to the size of the hard drve i wood like to put a 500gb in my xbox

13. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

No limit! Rumors circulating that you need to format the larger portion in 32k clusters though...

14. ssbs

ssbs Member

thank you every one have helped out so much

15. SavageMin

SavageMin Member

Hey all I appreciate The hard work in this forum. I made a printable version of X-S Hacker's "XBOXHDM FOR DUMMIES". I'm sure I'm not the only one modding with a single computer and don't want to write down the instructions (the pics help too). I take no credit for the content I just mad it easier to print and gave props where it was due. If you want a copy PM me or catch me at yahoo messenger "vladius71".

Peace
    SavageMind

16. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

@SavageMin
    if you want me to add you tut here, I can do that. All credits come to you or whoever wrote that tut.

17. SavageMin

SavageMin Member

Thanks,
    The tut is in ms word format. However I seem to have developed a problem. I took a Maxtor 6Y080P0 HDD and tried to install. Now I backed up the eeprom with Xunleash and copied the file into the appropriate xboxhdm Linux folder. I burned the ISO onto a dvd and ran the util. Everything worked fine until I tried to unlock/lock the HDD. It told me that it could not find the eeprom on the cd. I doubled checked and burnt the iso again to the same issue. I opted instead to enter the HDD password manually. This I tripled checked and it was the same one i got from Xunleash and Config magic. Well guess what i got the pretty blinking light and the green screen of doom. There seems to be some debate on my particular HDD on weather it lock or not. However it did say the hdd was locked. Some areas of question have arised. 1. since I used this drive in a puter first is it tainted? 2. Do i need to lock the drive in the xbox or externally?
    Any help would be great thanks.

SavageMind

18. drock1286

drock1286 Member

In my case, I used my harddrive in an old computer and it formatted clean and ran in my xbox no problem. It might just be that the harddrive is not lockable even though SOME people have had success with it. As for your second question, I only know that I locked mine while it was still hooked up to my computer...I don't know anything about locking in the xbox...

19. audogstar

audogstar Member

chunkhead.

Is there any way to interogate the modchip to see what ver the firmware is OR confirm that it is in fact an Super Aladin Live chip ?? Could it be just a corrupt firmware / flash fixable ??
    havent had the time to get over to see the guys @ Modsplus as yet, but will do this week i think.

Thanks

20. reapur

reapur Member

Hi Guys,
    I spent a lot of time tonight trying to get my xbox to see bigger than 137GB.

Here's the deal, I had someone else SOFTMOD it and install a 750GB disk. The xbox now only sees 137. Even tho there are other drives, accessible only via FTP that make up the rest of the 750gb.
    I'm trying to figure out if it's even possible to make the xbox (and ultimately XBMC) see the full drive.

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to do this with a softmod, and if so how or point me to a faq. I can't find any more relavent info in the search on this.

I read about xbtool but they just tell you to patch the bios file. It never mentions where this bios file is or how to get/extract it.

Thanks for any help