1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Upgrade HDD On Softmod Xbox And How To Upgrade HDD On Hardmod Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by TheReturn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. audogstar

audogstar Member

Thanks to chunkhead for these details via his Super Tuts

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/533828

If your HDD is larger then 137GB, you will also need to format a G:\

In order to do that, you will need the UnleashX dashboard.
    Go to the 'Format' menu, enter 'Xbox' as the password and the 'Format G:\'. The rest of the space will now be available.

2. reapur

reapur Member

Holy Moly
    I went and read all those faqs and tutorials, I feel like my eyes are gonna explode.
    Then I came back and read your response:
    >>In order to do that, you will need the UnleashX dashboard.
    Go to the 'Format' menu, enter 'Xbox' as the password and the 'Format G:\'. The rest of the space will now be available.
    <<

Lo and behold, that's all it took.
    Now I can't wipe the grin off my face. I'm done, I can start using it now.
    Now the only bummer is the installed formatted F: to 123GB and the rest is now on G: so I just need to figure out how to get XBMC to see both drives.

Cheers

3. yrojnoid

yrojnoid Guest

I have a problem as well
    I have followed this tutorial to the word as well as other tutorials with slighty different steps everything goes fine untill the end were it says plug it in and enjoy your new hard drive

well my new hard drives boots to the xbox logo and thats it
    no error msg
    I have tried several times with xboxhd using different discs
    i have tried other hard drives other xboxs
    the whole walkthrough goes fine untill the end were i enjoy my new hard drive

my xbox is softmodded with sid 5 auto installer with splinter cell exploit
    i have searched and searched and searched and cannot find any tutorial for this problem

4. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

I'm guessing that it's looking for the wrong file when starting and freezing. Though in all my experiences it would be throwing a code.

Things to check:

File structure - Make sure you are booting evoxdash.xbe or avalaunch.xbe or whatever you have

Jumper on the back of the new hard drive - should be set to cable select

Make sure the drive locked successfully

Check all your connections inside your ide cable may be loose.

More than likely i would think it's your file structure.

Good luck

5. yrojnoid

yrojnoid Guest

so i remade the disc again this time using the c folder in slayers auto instaler delux 2.7 and i get error 21 now
    so i tried with the ms back up on my xbox hard drive (dash 5960) backup i get error 21 as well
    so i made a disc with copys of my c and e folders with everything in it
    c drive
    i have all the files for ms dash plus the sid5 folder (need for softmod?) evox folder and xb1dash.xbe
    and in E drive i have backup folder xbmc evox evox ini evoxdash udata tdata cache and a screendump file and some evoxdash backup i left on there for...was used for backupfile incase i had to hex edit witch dont think ill be doing anyways i burnt that and it got past the loading screen and gave me a msg about downloading updates and then it rebooted and then got hung in a reboot
    could it have something to do with me formatting F drive?
    i have a 40 gig maxtor hdd my cables are fine and im setting it to cable select when installed in xbox
    everything appears fine in xboxhd as far as formatting and what not

i also tried booting into evox and then hot swapping in the new hard drive and raw ftping but it froze everytime i tried to write

still stumped

6. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

use a clean unmodded dash to format the drive then mod with a aid disc. That's probably the easiest way to solve your problem.

You can also use my dash files, it has avalaunch patched with a working ms dash.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GHHFXQJI - This is the C: i use for all my xbox's.

7. yrojnoid

yrojnoid Guest

Good news your C drive worked Bad news I think i shocked the hard drive and fried it lol
    oh well mission acomplished i guess thanks for the help

8. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

lol i swear you guys have problems i've never heard of before. if you still have your eeprom you can do a hard drive upgrade and get your box working again. There's no reason to give up at this point.

9. yrojnoid

yrojnoid Guest

no its got nothing to do with eeprom the bigger one i put in i was playing around with the slayer auto installer disk and installed xbmc on e drive with my soft mod i rebooted and then i was doing many frequent hot swaps in the last couple of days so everything was kind of rickety position and i dropped running hard drive into running xbox case
    and now the hard drive is not detected by computer or xbox or external case it just spins and makes some sort of small beeping scratching noise
    and config magic says lock not supported when i know it is

10. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

wow sorry about your luck. I've never dropped a running hard drive. Well actually I don't move them while they're on. Like I said before, if something is spinning 7200rpm I wouldn't move it.

11. yrojnoid

yrojnoid Guest

anyone know were i can get xbox wide icon package?
    or even individual on a web page?
    cant find them n e were

12. 420smoker

420smoker Guest

heres what i got upgraded my xbox to a 500gig seagate everything
    worked fine. i used 400gigs now when i put any thing els on it
    it is corrupt

13. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

How is your drive partitioned?

14. 420smoker

420smoker Guest

well i used xboxhdm 1.9 to make the drive i think it had 135gigs on f drive ,345 gigs on g drive ,and of course 8 gigs for e drive and c drive something small.
    g drive is the only one that is giving me problems e and f drive work fine no problems i have thought of whipe it and rebulding it would it help or do i need to go messen around in xbox partition

15. MRBHCK

MRBHCK Regular member

Can I use a Laptop to do this:) I have 3 Laptops I dont have a PC:(
    1.Windows or Windows Pro I think:(??????
    2.WindowsXP
    3.Windows Vista someone Please Reply^_^ Thank U

16. drock1286

drock1286 Member

you should be able to. as long as you have an ATA100/133 cable connecting your CD drive, you can get one that has two connections on it and use it to connect the Xbox harddrive to.

17. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

I haven't tried it because i haven't had to but i'm sure you could get a external hard drive caddy and a hard drive and format it that way. Just make sure you don't wipe your laptops drive.

You could even go the easy route and go to good will, they sell computers for cheap and that should solve your problem.

Try to just delete the partition and repartition g:. It might work and might not, but you should be able to remove just one partition and replace it.

18. ahwan

ahwan Member

Hi TheReturn,
    I have been following this thread trying to find the link to download config magic final but not able to find one. Can anyone kindly post me the link to it. Thanks.

19. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

20. ahwan

ahwan Member

Yes, finally get it downloaded. Thanks C4RN1, really appreciate the extra effort in getting it posted.