1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Upgrade HDD On Softmod Xbox And How To Upgrade HDD On Hardmod Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by TheReturn, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Who_U

Who_U Member

does this work for error 7?

ta

2. SenseiBea

SenseiBea Guest

Hi, first post here.. I have chipped xbox with hard drive rack on top which I use to swap hdd's, does this present an opportunity to 'preload' a large hard drive for installing into a softmodded xbox?

3. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

no, doesn't work that way. xbox uses fatx partitions, and those partitions are limited in size. so an external harddisc will not work.

4. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

no, since if you prepare a softmod onto that harddisc, it still has to be locked with the specific eeprom of the xbox that you want to put the harddisc in. you still need that eeprom to lock the harddrive.

5. imcobarn

imcobarn Member

Hi everyone!

I have a problem with locking (with correct password as I got error-6 in xbox) my new drive and now unlocking it. The drive is IBM Deskstar ic35l120avva07 7200 rpm.

Here is what I have and did:
    I've had softmoded xbox for a few years now (Splinter Cell softmod) running unleash dashboard. I used it to make backups of eeprom, C and E drives to my Laptop via FTP.

Created Xboxhdm bootable CD (v 1.9) with backups and eeprom.bin

hooked up drive as master (jumpers and cable) to my PC

Now when in main menu of Xboxhdm and try to select option 1 (VGA console) my piece of sh*t monitor (cheap and old KDS flat screen) displays error "mode not supported" and I could not see anything so I used option 2 (text) and was fine. I was able to format the drive and create fatx partitions and all.

Also in main menu option 4 (linux wit lock/unlock tools) displayed same "mode not supported" message so I used option 4 (ms-dos) and was able to lock the drive manualy, using password from hddinfo.txt located in Eeprom folder in backup. I validated it as well by using option 6 (Generate HD key )

locked it successfully but when in xbox, I get code-6 error.

I took it out again and connected to the pc and used option 6 (Generate HD key ) and it shows it is locked but with different password (not the one I locked it with). Interesting though hdd key had changed (matching my XboxHDKey from hddinfo.txt located in Eeprom folder in backup folder.

So now I have two possible passwords (one that I used and was generated in Eeprom.bin and one that Xboxhdm's option 6 (Generate HD key ) displays)

I used unlockhd command and even it says "Done!" afterwards, in atapwd it still shows as locked. I used both passwords and it says "Done!" after each so I'm not sure how reliable unlockhd is or what is wrong.

Anyone has any suggestions?

I think if I can just unlock it again so I can use it in my pc would be great.

Thanks.

6. imcobarn

imcobarn Member

Can anybody help?
    I hate to try to do anything else and permanently mess up the hard drive.

7. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

use atapwd to unlock your hdd. don;t use xboxhdm cd. atapwd should work just fine! xboxhdm uses 1 password as a default password (XBOXSCENE), you can use that in atapwd program. typing in the key you used to lock it is quite annoying and prone to making mistakes. good luck, you should be able to unlock it (although i have one hard drive that is locked permanently.. couldn't unlock it by the love of god.. and yes, then, like that drive, it is useless. i just binned it (was a standard 8 gig drive)

8. imcobarn

imcobarn Member

Thanks for the reply. I tried using atapwd (from the cd though) and using XBOXSCENE as master and user password but it did not work. Should I try to get atapwd on a floppy and try that way?

Also weird thing was when I select option 6 in menu (generate HD key) every time would show different password. I know I used the one from hddinfo.txt in eeprom to lock it. Also in atapwd the password I used has to many characters to fit in the box??? Is there a way to view password (true one) with any other program?

Now I'm kind of confused about HD password and HD key. What is the difference and Which do I need to use to unlock it? and lock it later (hopefully)

If I get reply I will try again with atapwd. It is a 120GB drive, I hate to let it go.
    Thanks for your time.

9. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

cd / floppy stays the same. (my) common sense tells me that you should unlock it with the same key you locked it with. but, for that you have to be sure that you know that you have the right key. if xboxhdm generated a sort of random key (based on an algorithm) then you have a serious problem! since i only lock drives from the eeprom.bin and never used any of the other methods (from txt file or manually input a key), i cannot help you with that. i never used those methods for the same reason you have problems now.

perhaps there is a firmware for your harddrive floating around on the internet, if you flash your hdd with its firmware again all locks are gone!

10. imcobarn

imcobarn Member

Thanks for your support. I did found a forum thread where someone used MHDD to unlock their drive so I download it and was able to unlock it using password that I originally used to lock it, actually it did not unlock it but rather disabled locking (before I unlocked it) so it's still locked but with locking disabled. Now I can't try to unlock anymore as it says "not supported" or "locking disabled" or something similar and MHDD does not have utility to enable locking again.

I downloaded manufacturer (ibm, hitachi) tools to maybe enable it again but they are only for Windows and since drive has xbox partitions Windows don't see it. I don't know what to do now but the fact that it let me disable locking using the password I originally used it gives me hope.

xboxhd "Generate hdd key" utility still displays random passwords every time I start it. that is just weird.

I'll be trying to mess with it again and report back for those who have same problem. If anyone has any suggestions, please do so.

Thanks.

11. m0dster

m0dster Member

Ok i have a problem... my xbox was softmodded, and i upgraded to a larger hdd... Now all went well, but i have one question... Considering that i copied the whole c and e drives using xboxhd prog, why is my xbox booting into msdash instead of the modded evox one? Do i have to softmod again? and if so, wont that erase the stuff i already put on my c and e?

12. rob&keri

rob&keri Regular member

Hi,

followed the softmod tutorial and upgraded the HDD only problem is the xbox is showing as Error 7 something about the HDD not being conected properly.

When I first connected it it booted up but kept restarting

Any ideas?

13. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

try belows, maybe your ide cable is the problem. Or, your harddrive has an error. had similar problems in the past, accompanied by a 'cloinck' sound. this is off course a hard drive failure.

"7 - kernel - HDD timeout

Most of the times, the IDE cable is not properly connected when you see this error. Please reattach the ide cable. Not only to the harddisk drive but also to the dvd drive. ALso try to reconnect the ide cable to the motherboard.

Press pretty hard so it goes all the way in. Make sure it is seated straight and proper in the drives and the motherboard. If you still have an error 7. Try another ide cable. If that won't work try another harddisk. If there is still no go, try to set the jumpers on the rearside of the harddisk drive. Set it to master or cable select. If still no succes, good luck and sell your xbox to me rolleyes.gif "
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/210562

14. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Yeah, as dennis stated if it's clicking then it's probably toast. Does your old stock hdd still work?

As for your other questions in various threads...

When you go to build the xboxhdm cd make sure you take the contents of your backup C and put it in the folder. Do the same for the contents of E and the eeprom.bin file in the eeprom folder.

Make sure it's named "eeprom.bin" all lowercase. Xboxhdm will not find the eeprom if it's EEPROM.BIN or Eeprom.bin.

udata and tdata goes within the E folder and should be in lowercase as well.