1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

You should have something above blank called backup. Inside that should be the eeprom. If not make a installer disc andback it up. Use the AID disc found here:

software

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  2. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

That is a great page made by Chunckhead.

3. alecuba

alecuba Member

so that folder called backup inside blank is not the actual eeprom? and what does the eeprom file look like(ie, extension, size, name) cuz the one i had was called AID something....another question, what do i do with the SID? just install a softmod on top of my softmod already and backup the eeprom again or just backup the eeprom, cuz i see that AID has a newer version than the one i have(AID4.0) from over a year ago....thanks

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

You could just back up the eeprom but I would install the softmod all over again if it were me. It seems something went wrong. The download comes with a read me.

Just follow it or one of the more popular softmod tuts here on the forum. Like I said it should be in backup just above blank. It is eeprom.bin 0.3KB.

Get the latest version like I said and find the update to add on then burn it to a disc and run it on the box. Its easy, I put all my faith in my AID discs. If something goes wrong I always turn to the discs.

5. alecuba

alecuba Member

i will install a softmod all over again using AID disk and will post back results when i do so. thanks

6. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

Maybe you should re-format with the format option. I would back up the MS dash and C first then do the eeprom. I had troubles with the eeprom back up freezing after I did my re-format and I lost everything cause I didnt do C and the MS dash first.

7. dman8168

dman8168 Member

well some very helpfull tutorials here and some great help. so i will tell my tale ....

Bought xbox off ebay with xecuter chip.V1.1 was sold as not booting never worked.. got it home ripped into it... hehe 1st problem i found was HORRID looking mod install, and a chip that looks questionable. unit would go red/green frag soon after bootup and no error code. so i repaired the xbox header block and redid the wires that go under the board. checked for continuity and all wires are ok. hooked unit back up this time a little farther this time to the xbox screen and then would crash at the dashboard bootup. this time error 05. so i researched and built an eeprom reader, retrieved the eeprom using ponyprog, read eep in live info beta3 everything looked fine. took hd used linux lockhd from xboxhdm1.9 and locked hd. rebooted hd and started just fine got to the xboxscrren(set time) GREAT i thought. HAA!!! after setting time would not boot a game, or go to other dash . chip light has always been blue since the reinstall of the chip, but it wont show active. this time i get error 21. MORe rEASEARCH WEEEEEE ISNT THIS FUN. what we wont do for our kids. So after more reading and thinking i said ok lets uninstall the chip and disconnect all hardware mods and start over , must be a dead chip. so after uninstalling the chip i used the eeprom file , and the downloded stock dashboard and did the burn a hd from scratch. everything i did went fine . new hd in xbox fired right up just fine , so i went to install AID installer with the 007 exploit, game loads fine , recognizes my flash drive just fine, starts to load the game exploit and it goes error 21 .. well thats it im out of ideas and HAIR!!!! any help would be appreciated. TIA

8. alecuba

alecuba Member

thank you man, now can u just put that into steps so that i know exactly what im doing?

ie: backup C first, then backup ms dash, then format or backup eeprom...
    those steps...thanks

edit: i did it all right, now i got the eeprom and im about to start the hdd upgrade...i will post results...thx again

edit2:
    i now have upgraded the hdd and it was successful, however it is a 250gb hdd...and i know that after it is larger than 137gb other drives have to be formatted...i did so as the tutotial says at the beginning but it did not show the rest of the available capacity....any help on that? thanks

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008
  9. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

Make sure you have done F and G and make sure the jumper on the back of the HDD is set right. I'm not sure if it will work if it is not set right but one of the settings is for limited capacity.

Oh and make sure that you can now FTP into the XBOX and take what you have and back it up on the PC.

I have mine in a folder on my desktop labeled XBOX stuff. It holds all my stuff for my XBOX including my back up of the entire HDD. If you get lucky and look hard enough you can find nifty little XBOX icons so you don't have the ugly Manila folder displaying.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
  10. alecuba

alecuba Member

yea, drive G was not enabled in the settings so now its all good....one question, i tried installing the xbox complex tools program but when i run it it freezes....also, is there anything i can do with games that say disc is damaged and cannot play(something like that)...cuz on my friend's console the game works.....i have the image file in the pc so if i can rip the game out of that image using complex tools or something that would be nice....thanks

11. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

ok maybe try cleaning the disc. I actually used spray wax for my car and I now swear by it. All you should need to burn the ISO is Nero or another program like it. I never used complex tools so I cant say much about it.

Edit: I just went into complex tools and it worked for me. Dont know what to tell yah.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
  12. F3nri5

F3nri5 Member

only thing i can add/suggest is there enough
    space in the folder that comp tools is in? i
    had a problem (games on HDD) where games
    wouldnt run or froze or even told me the
    disk may be dirty. turned out the Folder on
    the HDD was maxxed out. this only effected
    the last item i FTP'd over from PC all prior
    running games/apps still ran. my ftp client
    went through the motions but as the destination
    had run out of space the FTP process was incomplete
    even though it looked like it had done the whole
    lot. maybe its just my client (coffeecup) but you
    get no warnings.

F3nri5

13. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

Most clients tell you when a file has not been added correctly.

14. trav_555

trav_555 Member

can i use files on c and e already on my workin xbox?

15. corn

corn Guest

I don't think so, I believe they have to be "clean".

16. Delmorte

Delmorte Guest

They don't have to be clean but it is better measurement just incase.

More people report problems than not.

17. xjeremyx

xjeremyx Member

okay. so i tried upgrading my drive today after almost two years of the stock (softmodded) drive being in the XB. i made the xboxhdm disc, perfect no problems. it formatted and installed everything great on the HDD. i go to lock it and it says it can't because the drive doesn't support security locking. i read on this tutorial and whatnot and come to find that there is a giant lack of maxtor support. so fine. my question is this. now that this drive is fatx formatted how do i make it go back to being plain jane? i have another computer with a newer seagate in it, and i figure fine i'll just use that one, but in order to do that i have to replace it with the maxtor. SO how do i make the maxtor go back to being xp/ntfs compatible?

18. varnull

varnull Guest

just use the xp installer disk, blow the partitions off, make one new big one and reformat ntfs ;)

19. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

corn, remove the referal link in your sig ASAP! A senior member should know better.

20. trav_555

trav_555 Member

well it worked with the files off my original hd. but i didnt copy e drive only c drive. later thanks