1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. NoMustard

NoMustard Guest

Gave what silent suggested a try and I got the no drive found on primary master msg...Guess ill try a different pc.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

yeah just try it on a friend's pc

3. NoMustard

NoMustard Guest

Small update, I asked my neighbor if I could try on his pc he has a compaq and it didnt work ;( One thing I did notice was that when I press 3 on the xboxhdm menu it went right through to the next menu but when I press 3 on my pc I get the following message i failed to mention this before " You passed an undefined mode number press return to see video mode aviable, space to continue or wait 30seconds" when I hit space it goes to the next menu where I can type in 'lockhd' etc.....Dose this change anything I have told you guys so far ?

Btw I only had time to try on his pc once he was leaving but said I could try again when he came back home.Anymore help would be great....

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Just persevere; as to that undefined mode message, don't worry about it, i just select option 0, it's just a linux thing

5. NoMustard

NoMustard Guest

got that fixed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2008
  6. jgdrag

jgdrag Guest

Is that it then? All done?

7. NoMustard

NoMustard Guest

I got it done ;) did it with an old p4 comp...I want to say thank you to all who helped me you guys are the best...

8. jgdrag

jgdrag Guest

Enjoy!!!!

9. silent714

silent714 Regular member

Glad to know it worked out. ;)

10. evilbulb

evilbulb Member

ok, 3rd modded drive im trying, first 2 went great. this one, not so much. im using a different computer from the first 2. made the linux disc, i didnt use nero used an iso burner. it recognizes the drive and all so i dont think my bios is the problem, but it say something like, bad kernal, tried to kill init? any ideas?

11. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

well init is the first linux process started ...... bad kernal ... hummmm.... im clue less lol ... im taking linux in college ... tommorow is my exam .. hah ha im gonna fail ....

12. pi_hole

pi_hole Guest

Quick question regarding the XBHDM script:

Can it be edited?

The motherboard on my PC always freezes the Primary Master (as well as the Secondary Slave), and only the Primary Slave is "thawed". I have tried hotswapping to no avail, and although I have other motherboards available to the task, I'm too lazy to pull them out of my garbage electronics storage...

As near as I can tell, the only limitation to the XBHDM script is the fact that it only caters to /dev/hda, and not to /dev/hdb. That, and my admitted complete lack of knowledge with regards to Lunix (intentional misspelling).

If the script can be edited, please provide a brief tutorial (I'm Lunix-illiterate, but not unfamiliar), or, if it cannot, please provide a breakdown of its contents so that I can manually run the script myself.

My root problem (pun intended) is that for some reason the Xbox whose HDD I'm upgrading refuses to boot from the HDD Upgrade CD I created (can't remember its source at the moment), so I'm hoping XBHDM can do it for me. The CD in question has worked fine on two other Xboxes, so unless it has been corrupted somehow, it should boot the Xbox for F drive formatting.

Help?

--
    Stan

[Update]

Strange... I used HDD Driver to restore the drive image (which was from the original 8 GB Xbox HDD), and re-locked it, and after installing it, the F drive was magically formatted... Problem solved?!

--
    Stan

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  13. Swift06

Swift06 Member

i'm having trouble with the VERY last step... putting the hdd in the xbox and pushing the power button.

so when it comes on, the green blob does its thing and then it says that my xbox requires servicing. the formatting of the hdd went flawlessly and i have no idea what is going wrong. the drive is locked, because i double checked by trying to lock it again. xbhdm it said that it was already locked and to unlock it first. help?

14. silent714

silent714 Regular member

Does the xbox give you an error code?

15. Swift06

Swift06 Member

no. it just says

your xbox requires service.
    please call xbox customer support

then it says it in like 5 more languages.

16. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

ya it should give u an error code ... 12 is good .... i think 5 means the dvd rom isnt plugged in correctly ... try formatting again with xboxhdm ... i always find that the original drive is the best to use ... ive tried with a 500gb segate and before long it became extreamly corrupted ... ive also done a 40gb drive and it worked very well ... i too had many probelms and it takes a long time ... keep at it buddy and im sure u will see some progress ... ive have also found that any xbox that was manufactured from 2002 or before is not able to mod using xbox hdm method ... hope i could help but probally not

17. Swift06

Swift06 Member

will do. we'll see how it turns out.

18. Swift06

Swift06 Member

didn't turn out well. i reformatted my hdd, and ANOTHER one, being a Seagate and still got the same error. what does this mean now? it must not be my hdd's, is it?

19. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

i'd say the procedure used or/and the xbox hdd are most likely to blame here, given i've been using my 500gb seagate hdd for almost a year now without an issue of any kind......yet.

20. Swift06

Swift06 Member

so what should i do? i also tried to make an evox boot disk and that didn't work either. any other hdd swap methods?