1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. adamshrek

adamshrek Guest

sos my friend had a chipped xbox and to get to the normal xbox dash he prest the power button and to get to the modded dash he heldit

2. mdorans

mdorans Member

Without trying to be annoying, considering the impressive amount of effort expended here...

Would there be any disadvantage to using NAS instead of replacing the existing HD. That way you could easily access the storage from anywhere.

I'm no expert on softmodding which is why I'm suggesting this as an alternative and I'm wondering if there's any advantages I'd be missing out on.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I do both. On any xboxes used for gaming i've put in large hard drives, 40/250/500GB. For any other xboxes that are used just for watching movies/playing music i leave the stock hard drives in and play all media across my network. I had considered a NAS device myself (with the aim of using less power than having a PC on just for serving media) but any NAS devices i've looked into (that hold sufficient disks ie a few Terabytes) draw as much power as a PC so i've stayed with a PC for serving media. However i don't have my file server running 24/7 (nor would i if i had a NAS device), i just have all relevant folders/disks shared and i just have the file server running when i want to access music & movies and XBMC obviously just sees the shares automatically.
    All of my xboxes are softmodded, a couple are modchipped but all have the awesome XBMC installed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  4. mdorans

mdorans Member

So the principle works in practice then?

It would be great to save power, but I see the key advantage of the nas is that it has no boot up time.

Personally, I don't like media servers as it burns rainforests if left on all day, makes alot of noise, makes the air stuffy and involves boot time.

I just want to flick the power switch and the xbmc pops up with a shortcut to nas.

I've only just experimented with a softmod xbox and I haven't looked at playing games directly from the HD. Still using the discs for the few games I have. Any directions available for a tut and is it possible to get lots of xbox games and emulators off the web? I would like to get some kind of multiplayer quiz game on it for post drinking session antics. Pity it can't play music at the same time as running a game...or can it?

5. creaky

Games work fine off the HDD, however (in case you were assuming they can) games cannot work across a network, they can only be on DVD or the xbox HDD.
    You can install all your media on an xbox with a huge HDD, just beware that any HDD over 250GB needs formatting with the correct amount of clusters (i think it's 32k clusters) to avoid data loss/corruption.
    edit- there's a few recent Emulator threads up top of page in 1 or more of the xbox forums.

My file server (all hard drives are internal to the PC) is also my main PC (Quad core PC, primary use is DVD ripping/encoding etc) so it's powered on much more frequently more than my other PC's. I have loads of hard drives (for Backups) in USB2.0 enclosures which are only ever switched on when data needs to be transferred to them, these are all connected to the Primary PC; i considered moving all the USB2.0 kit to a lower spec PC and to use that as a file server but as my main encoding PC is frequently needed (for encoding obviously!) i've left things as they are.

6. mdorans

mdorans Member

Sounds like a large setup. What you need now is a remote fob key to turn the power on and off for all the usb devices. That'll save you the effort! Would be neat if you could turn the xbox on/off with a wireless controller. (Like the 360 can but without sounding like a jumbo jet) Think I noticed a tut on that someplace whilst skimming.

How much space does the average game take up? I'll have a look through the forum to see how to put a couple of games on the stock hd and stick with nas for music & video. Cheers for the 'been there done that' info. Found a cheapo nas box here http://tehwiz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=498 Seems like a half decent product for the money.

7. creaky

The xbox can indeed be remotely turned on and off. Last year i ordered a tiny kit from here - http://xir.us/xireasy.aspx

Works perfectly, though wiring it up scared me at the time, you have to splice in a few wires to the xbox power connector, plus different version xboxes have different wiring configurations (however the xir website gives you the various wiring diagrams). I just use a standard xbox remote control kit, ie -
    [​IMG]

You use the topmost button to turn on, and lowermost button to turn off. I only installed on the main xbox though, as i have 4 xboxes in the one room.

There's all sorts of cheap NAS enclosures for single drives, in hindsight i should have bought loads of those, but i bought all mine purely as backup enclosures, way before i thought of wanting NAS functionality.

I guess the average games takes about 2.5GB, i have all my games on one (500GB) HDD on the Primary PC, something like 176 games, and that drive is virtually full (though i've bought/obtained ALL the xbox games i could ever want so that's fine), and the same data on a backup USB2.0 drive. So whenever i or the kids wants a game to install we never have to wade thru all the DVD's again.

8. mdorans

mdorans Member

9. toocko

toocko Member

I am trying to install a 500 gig hard drive. Followed the turorial and eveythig went well until I booted with the cd I created. Menu came up,but at the place where "xboxhd" needs to be typed is where the problem came. I typed "xboxhd" and it cane back with linux cd not found. I made another cd and same problem. I tried different hard drives, same problem.I searched this entire thread and this question was asked,but doesn't appear that it was answered. Can anyone help? Also does the hard drive need to be blank before it can be used or will it be formatted during this process? Thanks in advance

10. dorkalert

dorkalert Member

I am trying to use liveinfo per the tutorial to check on the serial no. but when i load the eeprom the prog says "warning! the xbe and video region is incorrect! please select a valid region from the list."
    I clicked each one, one by one and they all came up with the same error.
    I am confused.
    I wanted to use chimp but it would just come up with a green screen even though i supposedly have a xbox version 1.0.
    any help would be appreciated.
    thanks.

11. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

It's been a while since I last visited the XBOX forums, I've been in the PSP forums of Afterdawn for quite sometime.

I just bought a brand new Seagate Barracuda 500GB hard drive. All of the drives I've upgraded to have been previously formatted from factory. I bought a brand new PC 3 years ago and the first thing I did when I got it home, I removed the hard drive and stuck into my xbox. It was a 500GB, LOL! I've been doing some reading in all of the pages of this thread and I came across something that has me worried. What is the 32K cluster deal? Do I need to format the drive before using xboxhdm? I read that drives above 250GB can suffer date corruption, but will unleashX properly format the G partition or is there a specific type of program that will allow me to archive this. I have an XP machine. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated thanks.

12. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

Any suggestions?

13. locobrown

locobrown Regular member

I would like to know if unleashX will properly format the rest of the G partition.

14. Plexistar

Plexistar Guest

Hey Chunkhead, thanks for this tutorial. but there is a problem, here is my situation.

i did everything you said, i pressed 1, xboxhd, 1 again to start from scratch, i also said yes to everything hdm asked, then during "Building F drive" i get this , "No files in /xboxhdm/F.

under that i get this

"/xbox_tmp/= : No such file or directory

All done!"

that is what i get everytime, so what i did is choose 3 to wipe out my partitions if they were corrupted as the choice said, and still when i choose to do this, i get the above messege. I checked my HDD of off a website , xbox hdd compatablitiy chart or something, my exact model and everything and it is fine and other users have had succuess with mine. Seagate 40GB barracuda drive. Please help and tell me how can i start over with this drive?

15. 1days

1days Member

I had the same problem. I must of tried over two dozen times and never could get it to work either. I then tried "chimp 2.4" and never looked back. Just follow the tut for that and it couldn't be easier. I've done five or six already with 500 gig drives with no problems. Even had a 1.6 version and had to use telnet and no problems with that either. Hope that helps you.

16. whitore1

whitore1 Member

Hey Chunkhead,

Great post, after having several problems, I've finally figured out what I'd been doing wrong. It all really started out when I wanted to use SID5 on my console. After attempting to load the gamesave, I would get error code 21 with the multilingual screen. The screen of hell.

Anyway, I decided to salvage what I could and create a new hard drive. I have no mod chip, but I wanted to format an extra drive that I had lying around. After burning the ISO (which had the C and E drives backed up but no EEPROM), I would get the error "Linux cd not found. Insert it and try again."

For some reason, the answer to my code 21 came to me. I didn't copy over the sid5 installer file! I copied over the Splinter Cell save, but not the installation file. Stupid me. It worked after that.

I eventually realized that it wasn't reading the dvd that I burned it to and that I needed to burn it to a cd. After doing so, it worked just fine. My only issue was that the drive will not lock. I just downloaded configmagic, so that might work. I checked the compatibility and there are a few reports that it won't lock and one report that it will with configmagic.

If the drive won't lock, I have another drive to try (160 Gb, so I'll need that G drive). But what really makes me happy is that I learned this much. Thank you very much and keep up the great work!!

17. Scruffy29

Scruffy29 Regular member

I am so confused I need some help, This is to actually upgrade the HDD inside of your XBox correct? You are not swapping any HDD in or out of it? (I am trying to "UPGRADE" not "SWAP")

I load up my CPU with everything connected and get to the main screen. I type "1 xboxhd" and it takes me to another menu saying "you passed and undefined mode number press space to continue." So i hit space and get to the next screen.

The thing is YOUR screenshot says "root@xbox-HDM:/1 xboxhd"

MINE says "root@Xbox-HDM:/1"

Either way I try and continue by hitting "1" and it says "Invalid command"

I hope we figure this out, thanks in advance

18. Scruffy29

Scruffy29 Regular member

Well, I never unlocked my HD. But when I go to unlock it it says "Linux CD not found! Insert it and try again..." but it has to be their because I got to the menu and everything...

19. Who_U

Who_U Member

hey guys, can i do this with a hard drive that has error 7??

EDIT: i mean that my xbox has error 7. is there any way i can salvage the data off it??? HELP ME..... plz...(sob..sniffle....)

ta

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  20. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

Hi, i've been following this tutorial to the letter and i've read EVERY post in this thread and I keep getting stuck at the same point. I'm to the point to where it says "Connect the HDD you wish to format to the Primary Master IDE cable. Allow a minute for the drive to be recognized" part. I plug in the IDE cable, wait a little bit, and then a "linux bios" begins to load up. It gets to the point of "usb.c new usb registered, assigned bus 1" (not word for word, but something to that affect) and then it just freezes. I have to hold in my pc's power button and shut it off. During the "linux bios" part the only error that i see is a "kmod failed to exac (some scsi host adapter), error 2", which I dont think is a problem considering I dont have scsi, but its the only error I can see. I've tried making 2 linux.iso's and 2 cd's and still stops on the same part.

can anyone help me??