1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. matt_a_us

matt_a_us Member

having problems trying to lock the new hard drive for xbox it hangs up then i try to run the locking utilities

2. bsell1

bsell1 Member

Thanks for the tutorial! However, before I begin, I have a question. I have a softmodded xbox. When I switch out the HD, will I need to re-softmod it all over again, or do I just start adding files to the new HD?

3. Kazzar

Kazzar Member

I might be wrong, since my xbox is hardmodded....but I would think you could just copy the files over to the new harddrive, since the xbox has to boot to the harddrive anyway, modded or not.

4. RobTapps

RobTapps Guest

ok so i got a free 360 from a buddy and it only came with a 20GB samsung SATA HDD so i want to switch it with my laptops 300GB Fujitsu SATA HDD... so my question (have been looking for the awnser fot the last few days) do i need to soft/hard mod my xbox to do this?? or should it work fine if i just make the 300GB in to an xbox HDD with the xboxhdm v1.9 and UnleashX tools?

oh and here is the info for both HDD's...

Samsung
    20GB
    REV A
    DC+5v == 0.85A
    LBA 39,179,952

Fujitsu
    300GB
    REV A
    DC+5v == 0.55a
    LBA 586,072,368

5. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

xboxhdm is for the original xbox, it will not work for the 360. Aslo the largest hard drive available for the 360 is a 250gig, your 300 will not work.

If you had a 250gig drive you could use the ss.bin file floating around to make it work in your 360, but sadly you're sol because there is no ss.bin for a 300gig drive.

Sorry

6. RobTapps

RobTapps Guest

ok so i also have a 250gb HDD its a westers digital, wd2500aajs (full sized out of a spare desktop, i dont care if it has to sit ontop of my xbox i just want more space..)or if i did try it on the 300gb HDDwould it only show up as 250GB usable?

7. RobTapps

RobTapps Guest

oops i forgot to ask if the WD HDD will work?
    its specs are as follows:

SATA
    250GB
    RPM 7200
    REV. A0
    Model: WD2500AAJS-75B4A0
    5VDC == 0.65A
    12VDC == 0.50A

8. scum101

scum101 Guest

why the hell are we continuing to have a 360 discussion in TOTALLY the wrong place?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

RobTapps, try posting in the xbox 360 forum as this is for the xbox not xbox 360 as they are 2 different machines made by the same company.

10. dab0ne

dab0ne Regular member

Im having trouble with xboxhdm. I put the disc in and it loads up just fine. I connect my new HDD and press 1. I hit enter and I get a message that says:

"You passed an undefined mode number. Wait 30 sec."

afterwards I get redirected to the correct menu where I type "xboxhd" (without the quotes of course). After I hint enter I get a message saying:

"This script assumes /dev/hda is the device to be used for creating or rescueing an xbox harddrive
    No disk drive found on /dev/hda (primary master)!
    Shotdown, connect a drive and reboot"

I have my new HDD set as the master with the jumper, and I have the master cable plugged into the back of the HDD. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

11. Kyther

Kyther Member

theres a few different setting in the bios that you can change i cant exactly recall but i had to change one of mine in order to get it to read the HDD for the installation, it may have been the smart feature im not sure. i think its somewhere in this thread that i saw it just be patiant you'll find the answer in time

12. dab0ne

dab0ne Regular member

If I soft modded my xbox before upgrading my HDD... will i need to redo the soft mod or will my xbox still have the soft mod with my new HDD?

13. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Kyther, edit your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP. yours is 6 lines of text which includes the blank line.
    4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

14. Kyther

Kyther Member

I apolagize for that DDP ive had that Sig for quite sometime noone ever mentioned it to me. As for you dab0ne im not sure how your trying to softmod it (im not sure if i can use names or not) but i use Ndure which doesnt require the cracks in games. it soft mods the original HDD then you back up the eeprom, retrieve that and you have to re install it into the new HDD and soft mod it again if you choose to, this also allows you to just upgrade the hdd and use the ms dash if you want an original but with a larger hdd. I can help further if needed

By the way if theres anything im not suppose to share let me know please

15. dab0ne

dab0ne Regular member

Yea, I got the HDD working... you were right about the BIOS. I went into my computers BIOS and made sure the boot sequence was CD-Rom then Hard Drive. It was really screwing up because I had to go into my bios and redo those setting everytime I restarted my computer. Once I figured that out it was all good. After I installed my new 320gb HDD i had to redo the softmod which was cake since I already had the files on the AR Max. I just popped in splinter cell and thats all she wrote. Thanks for the advice on the BIOS. That suggestion led me in the right direction which ultimately made my mod possible. Cheers.

16. Kyther

Kyther Member

No problem glad i could help, word of advice though if your bios is resetting everytime you may want to make sure the battery on the motherboard isnt about dead. If you dont mind my asking what dashboard/softmod did you decide to use, i had to use ndure unleashx since i couldnt get my hands on an AR

17. dab0ne

dab0ne Regular member

I Used Unleash X as well but I did have an Action Replay. Chunkheads tutorial suggested this for novice users so that what I did. About my computers motherboard battery, you could be right. The computer I was using was an old gateway desktop from 2001 or something. After I got this stuff to work I sat down with my wife and had a long talk about upgrading our desktop. I have a descent laptop but that wouldnt have really helped me here.

18. Kyther

Kyther Member

Sadly i had to go the more elaborate wqay AR is a hard item to find took me 3 days to get everything right but i managed as for gateway havent seen those towers in years good luck personally i recomend hp less issues with them from my exp