1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. DigitalSM

DigitalSM Member

I tried this, but, when I try to lock my HD it says eeprom not found please enter floppy or path where eeprom is found or quit... I'm using V.H.P. (Vista Hom Premium), which I used to build the linux ISO image by the way.... Is the linux hd locking app case sensitive? the reason I asked is because my eeprom file name was in all caps.

any Ideas

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  2. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Not sure if Case will make a difference, but to lock the drive you have to type this exactly (without the quotes)

'lockhd -a'

* Note the space...

3. DigitalSM

DigitalSM Member

Thanks for the response, thats not what I meant though, I understand using the commands in linux. Some if not all of the commands and the flags at the end of the commands are case sensitive btw....

I figured it out... the "eeprom.bin" file name was spelled with all "CAPS," (EEPROM.bin), when I copied it to the eeprom folder, before building the linux.iso image file. So I recreated the linux.iso file again, but, this time, I renamed the "EEPROM.bin" using all "lower case" letters, (eeprom.bin) and copied it to the eeprom folder. I created the linux.iso image using the command prompt running it "as administrator," the executing the 'make-iso-win.bat' batch file from the cmd prompt, burned it... and it worked...

conclusion: The eeprom.bin file you get from your XBOX's BIOS/ TSOP should be renamed to "eeprom.bin" all lower case, (if it's not already), before creating the linux.iso file and burning it. The lockhd -a app command is case sensitive, and if your eeprom.bin file is not named with all lower case letters, the lockhd -a command won't find the eeprom.bin file, and you get the error I got...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  4. DigitalSM

DigitalSM Member

Thanks for the response, thats not what I meant though, I understand using the commands in linux. Some if not all of the commands and the flags at the end of the commands are case sensitive btw....

I figured it out... the "eeprom.bin" file name was spelled with all "CAPS," (EEPROM.bin), when I copied it to the eeprom folder, before building the linux.iso image file. So I recreated the linux.iso file again, but, this time, I renamed the "EEPROM.bin" using all "lower case" letters, (eeprom.bin) and copied it to the eeprom folder. I created the linux.iso image using the command prompt running it "as administrator," the executing the 'make-iso-win.bat' batch file from the cmd prompt, burned it... and it worked...

conclusion: The eeprom.bin file you get from your XBOX's BIOS/ TSOP should be renamed to "eeprom.bin" all lower case, (if it's not already), before creating the linux.iso file and burning it. The lockhd -a app command is case sensitive, and if your eeprom.bin file is not named with all lower case letters, the lockhd -a command won't find the eeprom.bin file, and you get the error I got...

5. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Nice! Will add this vital piece of info to the guides!

Cheers!

6. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

im no noob at modding....but after using the same cd i succesfully used 3 months ago...i now get the "ERROR 13" at xbox startup...though i succesfully locked the hd....what could be the problem???
    PS..i still own the original C, E, BACKUP folders which i ftped to a flash drive..

7. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Error 13 is a dashboard fault. The dash files have just become corrupted!

Use this guide to rebuild the HDD if you have the eeprom, otherwise just use my XboxHDM Hotswap tutorial to do it.

8. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

thxx chunk..keep ya posted,,,,
    BTW..i finally got around to modding the samsung 616t dvd drive......
    works like a dream(atleast so far).....hit me if ya need some pics...

9. farrantch

farrantch Member

remember when i said that the live info thing wasnt reading my eeprom. i upgraded to the newer verision and it still isnt working

10. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Hmm, I don't know what to tell you!

Maybe make a couple of backups with different programs, COnfig Magic, etc and try them all!?

11. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

well im a mess right now........
    i rebuilt the hdd, then came the locking part....i got this error saying the hdd was frozen...gladly we already addressed the issue, so i unplugged the eide cable, and plugged it back in at the "XBOX HD MAKER" screen, choosed option 3, did everything necessary to lock the drive, but now i get this "primary hard drive is not detected" error...i checked the cables, jumper(set on master), power...everything..Yet i still get the error..
    To make things worst, my pc's hdd (with windows XP on it)isn't recognised either......Like i said...it's a mess...

12. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

Hey! I think i had that same problem, did you by chance, happen to unlock an Xbox hard drive first and then try to lock it or something?

13. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

Exactly.........i plan on purchasing new eide cables....
    So what's the problem????

14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Sounds more like a BIOS issue!

Check the Auto\manual settings for HDD detection in the BIOS.

That's where the problem will be!

15. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

damn, your going to have to gimme more details.....im not sure what your suggesting....

usually when teh hdd's recognised, it'd be available for selection under the "primary boot device" option at the bios screen...

i've been computer-less for over 2 weeks now,,,,HELP!!! not sure how much more i can take.. :(

16. dan72588

dan72588 Regular member

Ok, did you lock your computer hard drive with the eeprom by accident? If so, then you need to use that cd that had the same EXACT eeprom to unlock it cuz if you unlock it with a different eeprom....i think the hard drive is toast....at least if you're using xboxhdm

17. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

When your computer starts, It will tell you to either "Hit DEL to enter setup" or F1 or something.

This will get you to your BIOS.

Just tell the BIOS to reset to factory defaults!

Works wonders!

18. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

yeah, done that..
    mine actually said "load default settings" , then i choosed teh "exit and save settings" option.
    The hdd still isn't recognised, it only shows both dvd drives under "seconday ide devices", but nothing under "primary ide devices"; which is supposedly where the hdd should appear..\

To dan72588, i never accidentally locked the hdd that had windows in it,,,WHY?? well because its an sata hdd..

19. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Whoh! Backup...

Do you have IDE drives or SATA drives?

SATA drives will be loaded AFTER the bios check, they will not show up in Primary devices!

Also try using the IDE cable from the CD-Rom...

20. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

o my fault..lemme clear the confusion..
    the hdd with windows in it's originally an ide, but for performance reasons i opted to use one of these ide to sata adapters given my pc can handle both kinds(ide n sata)....thus given i had the adapter cable hanging from the now "sata" hdd, i'd obviously recognise it as the hdd with windows in it, hence avoiding accidentally locking it. heres a link http://cgi.ebay.com/IDE-to-SATA-Ser...ryZ39967QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    And like i said , my pc's got both plugs, so im able to play around with both kinds of hdd.
    And just for the heck of it, i took off the adapter and tried to run it as an ide hdd, to no avail.... (with default setup loaded at bios)
    Also, keep in mind that i got 2 ide cables from radioshack, which didnt help, but i'll try the cd cables anyway..
    thxx again.. m8..