1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Looks fine, don't ask questions and just be happy that it worked!

;)

Stupid Maxtors...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  2. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

*edit* I took a change and copied my existing TDATA and UDATA onto the linux disk when I made it, I think its working, it's hooked up to my other PC atm and is installing. So tomorrow I'll put it in my Xbox and then use SID 5 to install the softmod on my 200GB Drive.
    Thanks Again, Badass

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

I'm about to do a 200GB Hitachi drive. Now, too get the eeprom I FTP ed in I got the files onto my xbox using action replay, a make shift Xbox to USB adaptor, and a usb memory stick, I had the memory card adaptor, but my memory card didn't like the softmod files.

Anyways my make shift xbox to usb adaptor is kinda flaky, so is it possible to add the files to the Xbox HDM disk, so they're on the new HDD automatically?

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  3. jb55

jb55 Member

hi,
    just swapped to a 320gig Seagate hdd. Everything worked a treat.
    Then softmodded it and got to the last part of the tut and formatted G drive.
    Problem is I can't see G drive when I FTP to the xbox. In media centre file managed I can see
    it but not all the extra space is there.

How do I get all the extra space partitioned and visible when I ftp to it? thanks guys. jb

4. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

At least you get that, I choose format G in my unleashedX dashboard, and it doesn't ask for a password like the tutorial says, but then it says completed, but G doesn't appear.

Actually thinking about it, I never restarted the xbox after it.

5. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

i have a question ... i am able to load the evox dash easily but when i proceed with the last step to finish the soft mod ( running the default.xbe ) in the backup folder the xbox reboots and when it starts it just keeps rebooting ??? if i just do leave the evox dash all is ok but i was planning on putting a 500gb drive in and ill need unleashx to format the g partition ... any ideas????

6. liopord

liopord Member

Hi chunkhead, i'm having some trouble:

Recently I got the 'loud clicks of death' on my xbox hdd. Luckyly, I had a backup with my eeprom.bin and all of my files. The thing is that I got a spare HDD and followed all the tutorial, no problems using the xboxhmd, but when I got the new HDD on the xbox, I got the same error message as before, but not the clicking sound.

If you know what might be happening here please let me know. Thanks a lot.

Happy Festivus to all!!!

7. audogstar

audogstar Member

What is your error message ????

8. xJelly

xJelly Member

Awesome tutorial Chunkhead, buttttt! I've a huge problem. I can't get my 500GB HD to work in my (softmodded) XBOX (v1.1 I believe).

I followed your tutorial exactly but I can't seem to get the drive to work inside it. I followed your tutorial all the way up until here;

* Once you successfully FTP the console, you'll need to find the eeprom file. It's located in E:\Udata\2xxxxxxxxxx\0000000000000\Backup.

The folder didn't exist. Right now I have the following files in this folder: /E/backups/eeprom/backup/

bios.bin
    disk.bin
    eeprom.bin
    hddinfo.txt
    hddkey.bin

And /C/backup/

bios.bin
    disk.bin
    eeprom.bin
    hddinfo.txt
    hddkey.bin

And /E/TDATA/080299ff/

avalaunch.xml.backup
    eeprom.bin
    EEPROM_BACKUP.BIN
    lastquickstart.ava
    xmasgreet04

I also have 3 eeprom.bin files on my computer. If I load up the eeprom.bin from /E/backups/eeprom/backup it matches the serial number on the bottom of my XBOX. But if I copy this across to the xboxhdm CD and lock my HD - then put it in my XBOX it dosn't boot up. Error 06.

It does this with each eeprom.bin. Any suggestions to get a GOOD dump?

9. audogstar

audogstar Member

FTP the eeprom.bin files over to your PC , 1 at a time & open it with Xplorer360 from here if you dont have it yet..

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450#3371151

When you get the correct bin file the number displayed in Xplorer360 will match the number on the base of your xbox console.

USE that eeprom.bin file to build & lock your new hdd, then start the softmod from scratch & you will be done.

** EDIT ** what make of hdd are you trying to use.. IF its a Maxtor you may find you cant lock them... Best is Western Digital & Seagate HDD's..

Last edited: Dec 26, 2007
  10. xJelly

xJelly Member

Thanks for the reply. The hard-drive is a Seagate ST3500630A.

I'll try locking it with XBOXHDM w/ the 'correct' eeprom now. Thanks.

EDIT: Once I've transfered over the eeprom.bin do I just do File>Open Image in Xplorer360? It dosn't seem to do anything? Sorry if this seems stupid, I've ever used Xplorer360 before.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  11. varnull

varnull Guest

edit.... thread refreshed while posting.. found 2 whole pages !! hahaha

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  12. xJelly

xJelly Member

Right,

Got one of the 4/5 eeprom's I found from around my XBOX. Checked the first one and it matched the Serial Number on the bottom of my XBOX. Used eeprom and put it in the EEPROM folder in xboxhdm. Used the fresh dashboard files from the link provided and successfully built a new HDD from scratch and locked it.

Swapped the HD's over in the XBOX and booted up with no game in. After minutes of waiting at the start-up screen (where the WHITE Microsoft logo is displayed), without a Microsoft logo for the most of it, and went into Error 13.

Shutdown the XBOX and booted up with a disk in (Splinter Cell, the one I originally used to softmod ;)). Again same as last time but this time Error 21.

I've googled around I've concluded that it's something to do with corrupted dashboard files?

So my question is, should I go about 'clearing' these errors? Many guides on fixing these errors assume you're using the original XBOX HD and I don't want to mess [the new 500GB one] up. So can anyone recommends the best way?

Thanks!

13. audogstar

audogstar Member

Ooooops..
    I think I give you a bumbsteer in my last post.. SORRY tired & worn out from chasing bushfires..
    Find the eeprom.bin file (ftp 1 by 1 to PC) & open with LiveInfo Beta 3...
    that will load the eeprom details. then match the Serial number from the eeprom with your console..
    make sure you keep that 1 & delete the rest.. (then double check it to make sure you kept the correct file)

Use Xboxhdm to build the new hdd with correct eeprom (as per tut you have already used)& also might be worth getting a clean copy of the dash file - http://rapidshare.com/files/14478719/ms-dash-mik3h.rar
    MS Dash 5960.. be sure to follow all deatils of tut as its 100% & it works..

then make sure after the hdd is built lock it with the space in the command..

lockhd -a

** remember to leave the space..

14. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Usage of MY files (MS Dash. etc) is crucial!

If you are using your own files and having problems, I cannot vouch for the tutorial's outcome!

I KNOW that all my files are good, and the tutorials steps are flawless!

If your Serial number on the eeprom (in LiveInfo) matches, then it IS the correct eeprom. There is obviously a locking\unlocking issue!

Obviously you were smart enough to unlock the HDD from the old eeprom first!?

15. xJelly

xJelly Member

Thanks for the replies.

I used the MS Dash files provided in the link of this thread (yours Chunkhead).

Yes I unlocked it first, once I unlocked it I got all the No's (such as Security Enabled = No, Locked = No, Frozen = No, etc).

I deleted all the other eeprom's and double checked I used the right one when building the linux ISO.

I've read through the thread a million times and I still get this error!

I've also tried connecting the hard drive BEFORE and AFTER XBOXHDM starts, still nothing.

Is there anyway I can use xbrowser to copy over the fresh c/e files again? Without having to 'build a new hdd from scratch'?

16. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Hmm, you may have a funny HDD? It may be on the way out... you may also have a pain in the ass BIOS on your PC. You could also be burning the disc wrong!?

Are you using only the clean MS Dash Files? You're not adding your own E:\ or anything like that?

Do you have a v1.6 Xbox?

17. xJelly

xJelly Member

Could be a funny hard drive - but noone else with this hard drive has had any [reported] problems. Indeed it could be the computer. The mobo and CPU alone are atleast 3 years old. I'll try it at my friends house.

I'm burning the disc in Nero using the default settings and at 48x speed (when using a CD-R) and 10x when using a CD-RW.

XBOX is version 1.1.

18. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

i have a xbox with a Xecuter 2 chip and 120GIG HD.

i want to upgrade my HD to a 250GIG.

ok but what do i need? i only have a laptop can i still do the upgrade with a laptop? or do i need an actual pc?

id rather do it myself then have to pay someone $30 if i can do it myself.

plz get back to me asap.

19. audogstar

audogstar Member

To make it as easy as possible to upgrade your hdd really all you need is a copy of AID 4.10 disk from here :

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/557450#3371151

burn it to a dvd, open your console, swap hdd's (make sure its not locked so you can use it in a PC or whatever) put the dvd in the tray & reboot.

check out the tutorials here :

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/536595#3246424

you will find a few to give you the idea on what you need & what to do etc.

20. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

so if i had new HD to put in the xbox it should be unlocked? and i woudlnt have to use my laptop at all then? just that aid program

im dummy when it comes to this sort of stuff.