1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Upgrade your Xbox HDD (Super Tutorial)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by chunkhead, Jul 12, 2007.

1. audogstar

audogstar Member

As I believe it to be..

IF the console is chipped, you don't need to lock the hdd.

Get the AID disk onto a DVD & with new hdd in the console boot with AID disk in & then follow the promts etc to prepair the new hdd & then you can install what you need from there.

2. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

ok so ive got a brand new WD 250GIG HD, i jus remove the old 120GIG out of the chipped xbox, pop this brand new one in, burn aid to a dvd, and then run it on my xbox?

and what does tha aid program do?

3. audogstar

audogstar Member

Well if you take some time to read...

there are many posts that tell the whats/hows/wheres / etc...
    Auto Installer Deluxe (AID)

MAKE sure the 120gb hdd is unlocked before you remove it..
    check in the system details it will say locked/unlocked.

then shut down , swap drives & reboot with AID disk...

go through the tuts from chunkheads sig... most refer to softmodding , but the AID disk references are all for the same disk.

4. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

it says the HD is locked enabled...how do u unlock it?

5. stinkbud

stinkbud Member

I have been lurking at afterdawn for a few years now. I have found al lthe info fantastic.

I am currently trying to upgrade my hard drive with an extra I have.. According to the sources out there, my drive is compatable with the xbox, it is a WD 160 gb unit. I first tried to use xboxhdm to no avail. Copying C and E directories and making the linux dvd etc... I ended up with an error 13 code.

Then I tried this method in this thread. I built a stock HD with clean files and it worked fine. I put in mechassault to run the softmod process and as soon as I selected "run linux" I get an error 21 message. I tried putting halo 2 in to reset the dash, then i tried mechassault again and the whole thing froze up.

I since put the old drive back in but I would love to get the 160gb in. What am I doing wrong?

6. audogstar

audogstar Member

Is your console chipped ??

I assume you were trying to softmod it though due to useing the games..

make sure you have the correct eeprom.bin file.. open it & compair with the serial on the base of your console, then follow chunkheads tuts on how to make the iso for xboxhdm.
    as for the games.. they needs to be specific for the softmod. best option is Splinter Cell read this :

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/558747

7. stinkbud

stinkbud Member

i am using a softmod. I softmodded my original hard drive using mechassault with no problems. I used SID 4 to do it. I also made sure that the eeprom is the proper one. I have read chunkheads tutorial and found them very helpful. Still I find myself stuck here. Mechassault worked before.

Can I use the AID to copy the drive? I saw something about chimp being included on the disc and people have reported success with it.

8. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

ok im still confused here...

so all i have to do is remove the 120GIG HD from the xbox and replace it with the new 250GIG HD, boot up AID, and it will do everything for me?

or do i have to do something to the other HD first before installing the new one?

its already chipped and has EVOX on it i just wanna upgrade the HD. or do i have to unlock/lock something aswell??

im confused.

9. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

well i downlaoded AID, burned the iso to a dvd-r, put it in my xbox and it wont read it.....

its read dvd-r's before, maybe the lens is dirty or something, is there a way to clean my cd-drive?

10. stinkbud

stinkbud Member

Does the screen turn black after it loads up?

It did that for me and it is normal apparantly....just wait a few minutes and the AID dashborad will come up

11. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

nah i honestly think my cd-drive is fucked its pretty old and has been through alot, whats the best one to buy that will read everything?

and is it just simple by just removing the old and one and puttin the new one in?

12. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

I'm away for two days and this thread explodes! :)

Ok...

@ yungjeezy

The information provided to you is 100% correct! Mochipped Xboxs do not need the HDD to be locked as the BIOS on the chip doesn't need it!

Simply insert either AID or Slayers and follow the instructions. As for your drive, maybe you made a bad burn? The AID disc takes about 40 secs to load, give it a bit...! You're sure you have a CHIP yeah...?

@ stinkbud Not sure of exactly what the issue is, however I DON'T trust 'Mechassault'! Get Splintercell if you can, it always works!

Also try SID 5 (in my software section). I personally still use SID 4 as there is no issue with it...

13. yungjeezy

yungjeezy Member

chukhead: yes my xbox is chipped.

its the dvd-rom drive,its a thompson one. i tried doing the pot tweak and still not working, ive tried bought dvds, burned dvds not reading anymore, and it used to read them so im guessin its burnt out.

im tryin get ahold of a replacement eye, or a faulty xbox that still has a working dvd-rom drive, thats my best bet right now.

thanx for all the info though.

14. mrgrimm

mrgrimm Member

Ok, first. Great tutorial chunkhead. But a problem arose after I rebooted to lock the hard drive (SeaGate ST310211A) , i typed lockhd -a and it came up with primary master not found. Ok, checked to see if the jumper was on slave/cable select. Nope, it was/is on master. The IDE cable is coming from the blue IDE port on the motherboard. So it was connected.

I tried out a Samsung harddrive (SV2044D) and I was able to do everything, but lock the harddrive. This time it came up with: This drive does not support the ATA security spec. And everything below says "no".

Each harddrive worked the first time i booted and selected 1 from the xboxhd menu, etc.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  15. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

There seems to be a lot of this happening at the moment! The only thing I can think of is the BIOS on some motherboards are causing hassle!?

I've personally NEVER had a locking issue, so...

Try my tips found under 'hotswapping' in my tutorials and see if anything changes!

16. c_slides

c_slides Guest

Hi Chunkhead

Complete noob to modding. I have successfully modded my xbox using the hotswap trick and it is working like a dream. I am trying to upgrade though to a new maxtor 60gig hdd. I have followed your tutorial and have have got to the point where I need to lock the hdd but using linux it says "error - this drive has security enabled - disable first".

I can lock the hdd using the dos tools but when I place it in the xbox I get error 06. I have read on other forums that this is a lockin/unlocking error and have also read that dos is not reccomended for locking the hdd. Any ideas on my problem or how to disable security? Your help would be greatfully appreciated.

17. audogstar

audogstar Member

Hey there

Maxtors are known to have locking problems..

Try to stick with Seagate or Western Digital hdd's..

18. chunkhead

chunkhead Regular member

Security errors like the one you mentioned mean that the HDD is already locked! If you hotswapped, the hotswap wasn't successful and the drive is still locked!

Error 6 means that you have used the wrong eeprom. When you say DOS tools, did you type the code or use an eeprom. If you typed a code, you may have permanently bricked your HDD!

19. leeroy94

leeroy94 Regular member

use the aid disk ti install the soft mod ... put the disk in before the the machine is on then turn off then back on ... the machine will boot once with out the epprom backed up .... ok lemme restart here ! use xboxhdm and use the mahack xbox softmod files ... then once u get that on the drive back up eeprom u dont need to back it up to the pc yet ... once your running the fist soft mod change the seeting to auto detect dvd , game , data and audio ... the use the aid disk .... it will boot from the start up , back up the eeprom and then u can choose what dash u want .... after all is done then go looking for the eeprom

20. c_slides

c_slides Guest

I know about the Maxtor drives audogstar. I do have a Seagate and a WD drive but both are in my PC and being used already. They are both mass storage drives and are a bit overkill for what I want to do with my Xbox. The Maxtor drive was just lying around and 60gig is just about right.

If anyone has overcome this locking/unlocking problem with Maxtor drives please let me know as I do not wish to buy another HDD just for my Xbox.

Chunkhead, when I meant I hotswapped I mean I did it with the original Xbox HDD, this is working fine. The Maxtor drive could not have been locked already as I surely would not have been able to copy files to it during the first part of the upgrade procedure? The EEPROM I have was copied over using unleashX dashboard. Is it only the eeprom.bin file I need or are there any other files or do I have to rename the eeprom?

I only used DOS tools on my XBOXHDM to lock the HDD as linux would not do it. Incidentally I have managed to successfully lock a 20gig samsung drive (with the same EEPROM) but when I put it in my Xbox it just hangs on the big X after the Microsoft sign appears, no error 06 which means I must have the right EEPROM, right? I am guessing I just messed up somewhere with this drive and that's why its hanging.

Any ideas on what to do?