1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Use a USB Thumbdrive as a Memory Card (For Softmod)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Oct 25, 2007.

1. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

???-I can just put a usb end on my controller, plug it into my pc and put an XBOX memory card in it, right? I would figure then I wouldn't have to play with the USB Flash Drive.

2. DeformedG

DeformedG Member

Hi this is my first time softmodding an xbox and of course i am already stuck :p i followed your directions but i must have done something wrong, i am using a Kingston Datatraveler 2.0 gig, which i believe says is compatible. I downloaded the files you provided under the link and extracted the programs. I am on the step where it says to install the MaxDrive XBox driver, however it does not show up. Perhaps I did the previous step wrong where it says to install the drivers manually. I really have no idea what i did wrong.

PS. I am not sure how this happened or if this affects what i am doing wrong, but since i have been attempting to configure the usb, suddenly under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, a little sub area called "USBIO controlled devices" has appeared with "Action Replay XBox" underneath that. I am so lost right now this has turned out to be much more involved than i previously thought

3. DeformedG

DeformedG Member

OK so scratch that last post i made, i figured how to install the MaxDrive XBox drive, however "memcard" doesnt show up in Action Replay. Any ideas as to why?

4. diablo307

diablo307 Member

If you installed the max drive first then you install the action replay software next it should work.Drag files over to ya thumb drive hope it works.

5. DeformedG

DeformedG Member

nevermind i got it now i used 1.05 instead of 1.4 and it worked. but which splinter cell file do you use from the downloaded files when you want to copy to xbox?

6. diablo307

diablo307 Member

yes use splintercell put it on your xbox hardrrive then load game follow instruction the way he shows ya , i scrolled down on my computer to watch what steps he saying easier to follow so ya cant mess it up.

7. Ro_Bot

Ro_Bot Member

@DeformedG

The splinter cell PAL and NTSC save files depend on the reign of the game (canada, usa, uk, japan, etc.) used. I live the united states and own a copy of a usa reign splinter cell game, and therefor used the NTSC. (PAL is for africa, UK etc.. see the image)
    [​IMG]

I hope this helps, (please correct me if im wrong)

Ro_bot

o_0

8. diablo307

diablo307 Member

You are correct.

9. SolidFox

SolidFox Member

Ok, I've got a USB to Xbox cable, and I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer Micro 4GB, with U3 removed, and got to the step where I formatted the USB drive in the Xbox, and attempted to install the MAXDRIVE drivers for it, and fail miserably. I tried this both in Windows Vista x64, and Windows XP Pro. Vista will NOT even recognize the driver provided by the xbreader.inf. XP does, and will show the USBIO in the device manager, but crashes (and I'm talking total Blue Screen of Death) and reboots when I try to update it. I'm down to my last strand of hair here from pulling it all out. I tried TONS of other USB devices, and all were reported "damaged" by the Xbox, except this one. HELP!

10. SolidFox

SolidFox Member

Sorry for the double post, but I think I got somewhere.... or at least, I THOUGHT I did. I got the MAXDRIVE driver to install in XP, and it appears under USBIO in device manager now, but now.... when I plug in the thumb drive and open AR, the toolbar icon says, "The USB device failed to enumerate." Crap. Any ideas?

11. xJPM100x

xJPM100x Guest

I guarantee 90% of the issues people are having could be solved by following this guide properly. I've done this countless times with countless USB flash drives and haven't ran into one single problem.

12. diablo307

diablo307 Member

Very true, it say to get ya thumb drive recongonized first then install the ar program lol,very easy to mod the xbox.just learn to follow indtructions.:)

13. SolidFox

SolidFox Member

I followed the instructions to a T, and AR still fails to recognize it. I guess I'm one of those 10% who have issues.

The thumbdrive doesn't show up in Explorer, but it does appear in Device Manager, and disappear if I remove it. Funny thing is that AR still says the USB device numerated error when it's not even plugged in.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  14. diablo307

diablo307 Member

First did you make sure ya reconized your thumb drive.?Then you installed and updated your ar program.?Reboot your computer,try to load ar program.?Drag files to the thumb drive,hope it worked.

15. SolidFox

SolidFox Member

Recognized by what? The Xbox? Yeah, and it formatted it. Though it DID give me an error when I tried copying a save to it.

16. diablo307

diablo307 Member

No your computer needs to recongonize the thumbdrive to copy the ar programs to it.Then you save them to your xbox harddrive,hope it worked,i used two compters to do mine ,one to scrolled down the screen to follow instructions and the other one i used to put the ar programs on to put on the xbox harddrive, by the way my thumb drive worked with windows vista.

17. SolidFox

SolidFox Member

I don't know what you mean. I plugged it into the PC first, then plugged it into the Xbox, and brought it back to the PC, and I was asked to format it, and I clicked no. Then I followed the steps to update the driver for the USB drive with the xbreadr.inf, and now it shows up as a "MaxDrive Xbox" under "USBIO controlled devices." It doesn't appear in Windows, though. But no matter where I plug it in, I get the same error in AR 1.42, even when it's NOT plugged in.

18. diablo307

diablo307 Member

Try this open the ar program, then insert your thumb drive,wait a few seconds,then try to drag a saved game to the thumb drive hope it worked,if not you might need to uninstall the ar program,then reboot pc,then reinstall the ar program,up grade it,then reboot pc,then open the ar program,then insert the thumb drive,drag a saved game to it,if its working when ya drag a file over to the thumb drive top of the bar will change to white i believe,let me know,hope it works.

19. diablo307

diablo307 Member

20. SolidFox

SolidFox Member

Yeah, it's STILL not working. Do I need a special version of AR or something?