1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOW TO: Use a USB Thumbdrive as a Memory Card (For Softmod)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by chunkhead, Oct 25, 2007.

1. arthur333

arthur333 Member

HELP ME i got stuck like many other peoples in this forum.
    Can anybody normaly explain me how to fix this problem
    When i apdate my driver there says "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware. "
    If you'll help me with this problem you just will made a happiest guy in th world))

PLease I need really help

Thank you

Arthur

2. xJPM100x

xJPM100x Guest

Am I the only person who's actually been able to get this to work? -_-

3. arthur333

arthur333 Member

Does anyone know how to solve this problem??

Thank you

Arthur

4. arthur333

arthur333 Member

5. X_Team

X_Team Member

i do everything right until the update driver thing. When i click on udate driver then go threw the steps until ur supposed to choose maxdrive xbox.. IT DOESNT SHOW UP1 please help. 1st person to tell me will get $5 through paypal. Email all answers at playhockey162@yahoo.com

Thanks

6. DSHIZNIT

DSHIZNIT Member

A game controller to USB adapter will work. I picked up one for 10.00 at Wal Mart. Radio Shack has them too. The adapter is for converting PS2, Xbox and Wii controllers to PC. (all three controllers in one adapter) it comes with a small disc that installs the drivers on your PC. Then you will need the HACKED AR program and a USB memory card.
    Then you plug the Xbox controller into PC with an Xbox MEM card in the slot, open HACKED AR and it will see the Xbox mem Card.
    The adapter Model number is FT8D91.
    Good luck
    BTW, AR comes with 2 disks, one is Media Player. AR MAX has only 1 DISK.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  7. jeezy103

jeezy103 Guest

i finally downloaded a the may 28th edition of xbmc yet it still won'y recognise any fatx formatted drive i connected through a usb to xbox adapter.
    what's going on here??? All it says is, "Unable to Mount Storage Unit"....so it recognises something is being connected but fails to read it/
    Help??

8. otnarg

otnarg Guest

hi all. ive used a advent 256 pen drive and soft modded ok. thanx for the help..

otnarg

9. ncasx

ncasx Regular member

AR Prog crashes for me when flash drive is connected...? tried different ones. XP SP3
    Edit: also tried Vista, XP SP2. Sandisk micro cruser 2gb, psp 32MB, psp 1GB, sony 512MB Micro Vault, 1GB Micro Vault, 2GB Micro Vault. All freeze AR...so what am i doing wrong?

I installed AR with update. connect usb to xbox it formats. on computer i unplug all mass storage devices, and got the vid/pid and changed the first line of xbreader file inside the driver folder. Unplug flash drive open AR. AR seems to work plug in usb drive... freeze. Drive still in computer start AR freeze.

Alright im going crazy over this thing. Maybe its my flash drives, maybe not. Maybe im just doing something stupid. Maybe ill just give up for now.

Edit: ive uninstalled everything, all drives n stuff, and reinstalled it, it now doesn't crash. 2GB SanDisk Micro Cruser formats, but AR doesnt dectect it. 2GB Sony Micro Vault, xbox seems to not see the files put by AR. Also AR doesnt seem to see the files put on by the Xbox.

Edit: After tring almost everything I had n couldnt get it to work, i tried mp3 player, that also fails. But the micro SD reader that came with M3 Real worked perfectly with Kingston 1GB JP. You have to format the memory card on AR before putting files on it though.
    By the way i did this mod to load/swap save files, not to use for softmodding. Although the files does copy 2 the xbox n it should work.

Thanks chunkhead for sharing!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  10. bill01

bill01 Member

Can you use this trick to add files to an already xbox formated USB stick?

11. jbjmed82

jbjmed82 Member

ok hello guys. decided to finally try to mod my xbox and all was going well but i hit a snagg. i have done all the steps outlined in this tut, and redone them about 5 times to make sure it wasnt just me. I got the jump drive to get recognized and formatted by the xbox. i have AR installed. i have updated the driver on the jump drive. now when i go to run AR it seems to recognize the jump drive as the AR logo flashes when i insert it and disconnect it but i cant get any of the save on to the memery card side. can anyone help please. finally got up the nerve to do it got the game jump drive software but cant get past this . thanks in advance.

12. jbjmed82

jbjmed82 Member

ok guys, fixed the earlier problem got a new jumpdrive and got this one to read on my AR. but still not working properly. Ive got the save files on to the drive and when i plug them into my xbox it reads the save files but i cant save them to my hard drive. the option to copy doesnt come up. only the option to delete it. any body know why this is? please help.

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

you just need to select the next icon along.

14. jbjmed82

jbjmed82 Member

um there is no other icon. the xbox the only ption when im in the memory screen on the xbox is delete. i cant even copy saved files from my xbox onto my usb drive. is this maybe just my xbox. maybe the only option is to hotswap.

15. jbjmed82

jbjmed82 Member

lol ok im an idiot thanks alot.

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Hehe, nice one

17. Session9

Session9 Member

Woo!
    I just softmodded successfully, so happy!

Wanted to say that I used three different USB drives and one MP3 player from Asia somewhere, and none of them worked. The USB drives all just made the Memory screen flash repeatedly, and AR wouldn't put files onto the MP3 player ("not enough space on card").

The drives that didn't work were:
    Kingston DataTraveler 128MB - Picture here;
    Toshiba 2GB - Picture here;
    Transcend JetFlash V30 2GB - Picture here;
    JWD MP3 Player (Model: JWM-10) - Picture here.

The USB drive that worked perfectly for me was the:
    Shintaro 1GB - Picture here.

Thanks for the tutorial =]

18. brixx

brixx Guest

I get the problem: Windows dosent think its the best driver >.>
    Then it dosent install! Help!

19. brixx

brixx Guest

I can confirm that the following are compatible and work!
    PsP 4gb Sandisk Memorystick (did everything ON PSP)

and the IBM Card Jumpdrive (Not avaible, its pretty much a usb card, looks like a lunch card/credit card and a usb thing that flips out!)

20. themoid

themoid Member

hi guys,

my softmodded xbox has died so have bought a new one to softmod. i've lost the usb drive i used to mod the box, so have bought a new Sandisk micro 2gb one (which is on the working list).

but having problems. after formatting, instaling max driver etc the usb is recognised in Action Replay, but says no space. if i format it it reappears with 64 game saves, which if i delete them does not free up space ?

any ideas ? i bought this usb as it says on the wiki list that it works, so hoping it actually does !

or other idea - is there any way i can transfer the modded HD from the dead xbox to the new xbox ?

cheers

Stu