1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to use exact and lame for making mp3?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by steveng01, Aug 19, 2002.

1. steveng01

steveng01 Member

hi guys, im just noob so if i ask some dumb questions, please forgive me and help me out

how do i make mp3 files by using exact? when i opened it up, only the WRI icon is highlighted.??? where do i upload music files to exact and start making mp3?
    thank you

2. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

3. steveng01

steveng01 Member

i did the setup procedures as mentioned on the link, but somehow i still have no idea how to start using it. i mean where do i drag songs, organize them like i did with Nero? How to change quality settings? What is VRB, etc.? also I have seen some other softwares like Razorlame, what is it? i am so confused about the lame, since it's a little different from what I have been using for burning cds. sorry if i've asked too many questions but please help me out

4. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

After you have done the setup procedure, you simply inster a CD and click the icon on the left with "MP3". If you wish to compress .WAV files then choose TOOLS->COMPRESS WAVS

In the settings by choosing high quality you get great sounding files that are about the same size as normal 192kbps files. VBR means that the bitrate varies (Variable BitRate). If the music is complex then more bits are used to maintain the high quality, but if the music is simple the less bits are used and you save HD space.

If you choose low quality then you will get 128 ABR (Average BitRate) files that are ok for portable players and such when you are low on storage capacity.

RazorLame is just one way to use the LAME Encoder. There is also a prog known as winLAME that is very simple to use.

EAC is mainly for RIPPING and COMPRESSING music - not for burning (even though it has limited burning features). For buring MP3s I recommend Feurio! and Nero is also ok too.

5. steveng01

steveng01 Member

so you are saying, i can not import music files from my HD to EAC? I put a music disk in, and everything lighted up instead of greying out. but when i tried to grab songs I downloaded, EAC doesn't work. do i miss anything?

6. steveng01

steveng01 Member

my last question. when we burn mp3 cds, we convert files with wma or cda extension to mp3, correct? but what about the audio files we download from for instance kazza which are in mp3 format already? how can i change the quality of those 128kbps files to 192kbps and burn them?

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

WMA->MP3 conversion should not be done since you will lose quality.
    MP3->MP3 conversion (changing bitrate) should not be done since you lose quality.

Exact Audio Copy is used to convert audio CDs or ripped WAV files to MP3s (and other formats).

Here's another link for you: http://cd-rw.org/news/archive/2781.cfm

8. steveng01

steveng01 Member

thanx man. the link is very helpful