1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use forced subs only in .srt files

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by kurtdh, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kurtdh

kurtdh Member

I have a lot of subtitle streams in .srt format for different types of movies.

Problem is this: These subtitles are showing the entire time the movie is playing. I only want "forced" subs to show..meaning I only want English subtitles to show when English is NOT being spoken. I don't want subtitles shown throughout the entire movie.

What's the best/easiest/fastest way to make it so these .srt subtitle streams only show forced subtitles? Must I convert the file...must I spend hours and hours manually editing it to my liking? Or is there an easy painless way to do it so I can watch my movies without having to see subtitles the entire time when they are not necessary.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I don't think the srt subs contain the "forced" flagging. The idx/sub subtitles do.I could be wrong, but probably not.
    You would have to manually edit and save the new subs, or just look for a different set of subtitles on the net.

3. kurtdh

kurtdh Member

So there is no easy way to convert the .srt file or edit it to make it only show forced subs? (without spending hours and hours going through hundreds of pages of subtitles)?

The only way is to find a .sub/.idx file for the movie that's already premade?

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Pretty much, as far as I know...

5. OneMember

OneMember Active member

Forced subtitles will show even after you disable subtitles. So its all or nothing.
    If you want to see subtitles only when they speak some none-english language in the movie ->
    You need to manually edit the subtitles or found already edited version.

@cyprusrom
    I can also be wrong, but I don't think .sub format has any settings that could make a single line as "forced".

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You are probaly correct.