1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use my phone abroad ??

Discussion in 'General mobile discussion' started by Culchie, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

I figured I'd ask you knowlegable people here. Always gotten good help here before. I live in a rural area, and trying to select the best carrier is a job in itself. I want to get a good quad band phone with a touch screen, that don't require the data packages like a Smartphone does. It seems the carriers that I have that option with has the worst coverage in my area. The carriers that have the best coverage, either don't have any GSM phones, or don't have any like I want.

So, I thought about just getting a non GSM phone and a plan from a carrier that has good coverage in my state.

My question then being. I have a unlocked Motorola V551 that I'm using with pre-paid at the moment. I need to know IF and HOW I can use it in Ireland when I don't have a monthly plan with someone. I know I can switch SIM cards, but I don't really know how all that works. Any help would be appreciated.

2. mrleftnut

mrleftnut Member

Well depending on who your prepaid plan is through, your carrier may have roaming agreements in Ireland. I'm pretty sure AT&T does. You should be fine as long as your phone can operate on the 900 or 1800 band.

3. Culchie

Culchie Regular member

Thanks for replying. I have T-mobile pay as you go. They said I couldn't use it if I was using pre-paid. So, I would have to get a new sim with a company over there. I guess my number would change. I guess it would be cheaper to get a Ireland to USA phone card to call back to the states. I'm not sure what the best way is once I get there.