1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to which files are copied on to a CD

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by dinareddi, Dec 22, 2005.

1. dinareddi

dinareddi Member

Hi all,

Can anybody can tell me...
    Is there any way i can found what files are copied or burned on CD. i mean in the networked environment you cannot who is copying which data on to cds, is there any way to findout this.

thanks in advance
    dnreddy

2. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

W H A T ??????????????????????????????

3. dinareddi

dinareddi Member

ok let me explain my problem

we have about 10 systems, to resitrict misuse of, we placed only one cd-writer and given permission to some people to burn cds or use cd-writer.

Now, is there any way to find out 'what data they are burning to cds'.

Note: I know the cd-burning application creates a log-file which gives info about the cd-creation but not the contents of cd.

-dnreddy

4. ku4hx

ku4hx Guest

Do you suspect criminal activity? I work for a very large American corporation with a whole department/devision dedicated to cybersecurity and computer abuse. There are tools to track 100% of networked computer usage, keystroke recorders being only one.

If you have concerns over criminal activity, you might not want to post your problems on a public forum. Criminal activity should be investigated by your internal security department. If your group, association, or company is too small to have such an organization, then you might want to consider getting an outside security firm to assess your situation.

With only ten stations, and fewer cd/rw users, why not just talk to the users and try to get their buy-in? With only one burner on the net I assume it's in a central location....watch who shows up on a regular basis. Or, put the burner into your station and you can police the activity yourself. Sometimes low-tech is best.

5. DVDBURNUP

DVDBURNUP Guest

Why do they need to burn CDs ?
    More than likely what you are going to have to do is make one person you trust to be the burner. That one person would have access to the burner and they could review what is being burnt. It still is going to be difficult. What if what is being burnt is a compressed file ?
    it could be named anything , to disguise the files inside they could be renamed also.