1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how you remove a Rootkit?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by JXP2307, Nov 30, 2005.

1. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

I have been reading about the sony rootkit, and am wondering if regular anti-virus' like AVG, Norton, Mcafee, ect. will find and fix a rootkit? Or should I try a rootkit scanner?

Is rootkit.com a legit site with good software? It looks shady to me...

Anyone have advice on proper removal of a rootkit?

Thanks!

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If whatever virus protection program that you run does not find it and eliminate it, backup all of your important data, and Format C: After you have the OS installed again, immediately disable your optical drives from auto start.

There have been numerous discussions on Sony's deliberate attempt to trash computers, but I have not seen a good way to get rid of it, if you get it. I know that Norton was working on a fix to incorporate into their antivirus program, but I am not sure that they have done it yet.

3. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Thanks Grandpa.

I don't think I have a rootkit, but now I know what to do, if I do.

4. JVC

JVC Active member

I read somewhere that Sony has made software available for download, to remove the rootkit. I'd suggest checking Sony's site, or send them an email about it. If you find the software, post the page address for everyone to use.......please? :eek:)
    Good luck!

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2005
  6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

7. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Thanks, great article.

Oh and Grandpa, thanks for your service and sacrifice. My father was also in Nam. Imagine you are the same age as my Pops!

8. randy1942

randy1942 Member

From what i can all the major anti virus guys now detect and destro the rootkit.

My advice for the proper removal of the rootkit is to the use the new standalone uninstaller that sony have put out.

It doesnt use of that activeX crap they tried to force you to use just a straight executable. I have run it and as far as i can tell it works fine and removes everything.

See this post from Ed Felton of Princeton http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=924

The direct link for the uninstaller is http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html

9. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

The NEW uninstaller from SONY came out on Dec 5th -- This is supposedly a correction for the old uninstaller they had contracted out .

USE at your own risks -- I have a feeling that Sony still leaves in a few little gremlins for their ""future use".

http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/uninstall.html

10. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Thanks for the info, everyone.

11. sonybmg

sonybmg Member

It has recently come to our attention that some individuals and companies are offering various instructions and tools to uninstall the XCP content protection software from computers. Please be advised that we have already made available a proper uninstaller at http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/updates.html . This is the only safe and secure method for removing the protection components of which SONY BMG is aware. SONY BMG assumes no responsibility for use of any other uninstaller tool or instructions.

For any questions about XCP content protection software used on SONY BMG discs please go to http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/english/home.html .

Thank you.

SONY BMG

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  12. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

I will never buy any Sony products -- !

Typical of SONY/BMG both links he gives are 404 !! How professionnal !

404 - NOT FOUND

The one i gave does work !
    The reason his dont work is that he put a period after the html at the end !!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2005
  13. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Whoa!

My little thread has brought a Sony Rep into the fold!!

One question SonyBMG.

Why do you think it is within your rights to invade my privacy?

Just answer that for me please.

14. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Yeah really Sony what gives you the right to mess and destroys people's owncomputer they worked hard for ? Havnt ya heard its illegal to install software without people knowledge? You guys are screwed....I betcha this does ya in for xmas.....I know I aint buying no sony crap......I will just use the cd to wipe my ass.....thats what I think of it.

I will tell ya one thing...theank god slysoft anydvd doesnt allow any extra shit from cd being installed? I keep anydvd running whenever I play a music cd in my computer just to prevent this from happening.

Good day Sony...may you rot in eternal flames in hell.....lol!@:>

Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  15. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

@JXP2307: Thanks for the thanks, and you are welcome. And thank your father, for me.

16. JXP2307

JXP2307 Regular member

Will do Grandpa... I don't believe you guys are thanked enough.

See ya round the water cooler.