1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HOWDY.... What's the best Audio/Video compiling progi.....?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by leeman, Apr 22, 2002.

1. leeman

leeman Guest

The popular ones appear to be:

Ulead Media Studio Pro
    Adobe Premiere
    Vegas Video
    Pinnacle Studio 7

Which of these (or if there's another) would you consider the best for an all-in-one program?

I've tried the first three. I like UMSP and VV.
    PS7 appears to be the better one from what I have seen and heard, but I can't find it to try.

Anyway, what are your suggestions?

Thanks......

2. s00pcan

s00pcan Guest

Virtualdub and TMPGEnc are very useful.

3. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

And Virtual Dub is freeware.

4. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

soopcan and ghostdog did not answer correctly.
    vdub and tmpg are not for high end editing.
    yes they do certain things..but they are far from a real video editing program..i do agree that they are both VERY useful for other things.
    i have not tried the programs mentioned by leeman..i did have ulead VIDEO studio 4 and it was ok..media studio is more "pro like" but i have only seen it..i use premier 6..its very easy to use and can have up to 99 video AND audio tracks.i have not checked out the vegas video or pinnacle yet cause i am happy with premier...if you look at the adobe forums many people have problems but they are caused by themself not the program..as with most people, most errors are operator related and not the software...there is also AVID..i havent tried that either.

5. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Premiere isn't a bad program. I use the editor bundled with the hardware because Premiere is a little bloated for cut & paste type work. I played with Vegas and it looks real useful for doing post-production stuff.

6. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Johnbmx: How do you make 2-pass Divx-movies with Premier?, or do you play around with stuff like that at all?
    I´ve also got Premier but it´s a bit too "professional" for me.

7. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

.i dont..i export my movie as an "uncompressed avi" then i save that as my master file..i encode from there..if i need divx i put it into v-dub just 1 pass cbr..if i need mpeg i put it in tmpg just 1 pass cbr...i stay away from real player and quicktime.

8. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

So you finnish the video up in Premier and then compress it with something else. Doesn´t that sort of double the time needed to complete the video?

9. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

.it takes a bit longer but the purpose behind it is i have a "master" to keep...if i just make a divx from premier or an mpeg and then later someone on a mac or something asks for it in real media or quicktime..it would be stupid to take an already compressed divx or mpeg and use it for a master.

10. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

So you somewhat of a large HD? If I remember correctly a uncompressed AVI takes up alot of our precious bytes.

11. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

no..on this puter i only have a 16gig... uncompressed comes close to 1 gig per minute..so i do things in sections..after i convert to mpeg(which is what i usually use) i take all the mpeg parts and merge them..i use v-dub to split the avi and put it onto discs...my new puter(in the building stage) has 3-40 gig hdd
    2 run on raid 0 and 1 is for the os.everyone talks about the really big drives but this will be enough for me.

12. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

But if the whole point is to have a master to keep then you can only work with one 16 minute movie....ever. Right?

13. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

no...only 16 at a time

14. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

But then you would have to erase the master every time you want to work with a new movie. No more master?

15. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

i am not trying to bag on you and this is not a debate forum but ....are you allowed to be here?
    are you like in the 3rd grade or lower...if not please learn to read...do you read my posts before you speak?is my font invisible?

16. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

No I´m actually a bit older then 3rd graders.

This got a bit of topic, I admit that.

"the purpose behind it is i have a "master" to keep"

But you can´t keep the master if you only have a 16 GB drive?

17. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

ok..read back a couple posts..thats why i asked that cause i already answered that question...""i use v-dub to split the avi and put it onto discs..."" if i want that master back in the puter i just remerge with vdub..i also usually only do about 10 minutes.i also mostly do music vids, skate vids and bike vids.
    they are usually about 10 mins or shorter anyway and if i want to make a 30 min bike vid i just merge all the mpegs.it is a hassle for now until i finish the new puter.

18. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Now I got it. You put the master on the discs. OK. Intercranial traffic is a bit slow sometimes :)

19. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

sorry i got a bit upset but it seems that every video forum i go to especially the adobe ones...it seems like no one reads and everyone just asks...i know we all need to ask so that we can learn.

20. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

No problem. I wasn´t offended or anything.