1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

howto create full sized dvd?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by jwhitt12, May 3, 2014.

1. jwhitt12

jwhitt12 Member

I am running with xp and nero 12. I cannot seem to create a full sized video. If I copy a dvd and then make a new one from that everything is fine. I just took a dvd, that I have, which had a menu with two items and broke out each item with DVD Shrink. That worked great except for one small problem. When I imported the .vob file it told me that the resolution was 740x480 (this may be the problem as I want 1920x1080) I found no option, in DVD Shrink, to change this.

I then went to nero video, chose to make a movie, chose the highest resolution possible (1920x1080, 29.97 frame rate), hoping it would restore the proper resolution. I then imported the appropriate .vob, created by DVD Shrink. After editing that file to take out the stuff I didn't want, I pressed next, saved everything and proceeded to burn the file to a dvd.

the result was a square in the middle of the screen which was, I think, 740x480 (small). Since the file I was dealing with was less than 1gb and the dvd has the capacity to deal with 4.7gb (I think), I did not have a size problem. I have, obviously missed something here (hopefully there is a way to fix this)

Thank you........

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  2. keebles

keebles Regular member

DVD resolution is 720x480. If your trying to make a DVD look HD, forget it. Your best bet is a HD tv and a Blu ray player. This way you can watch your DVDs in upscale format.
    Upscale format is fake hd( the player will try to duplicate pixels to fill up the screen with out stretching out the picture(sometimes that doesn't work). If you want true hd, you need to use blu ray

http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheatervideobasics/qt/dvdvidupscale.htm

3. attar

attar Senior member

The maximum resolution of a DVD movie is 720x480 (North America) or 720x576 (EU and Australasia) - anything larger cannot be authored to DVD.

Although you could resize the source upwards (but it can't be authored as DVD), you don't get any more detail in the new video - the available information is in effect smeared over a larger canvas which results in a softer picture.
    I'm given to understand that an upscaling standalone DVD player can improve the picture quality of a DVD movie, but since I haven't got one someone else will have to chime in.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i have actually burnt a high resolution video to dvd.Think it was an mkv rip and used dvdflick to burn it.The dvd player i used it on didn't support hd (video resolution unsupported) but audio worked.
    Its possible that it would playback on blu ray players, i'm not sure as i don't have access to 1.

also wasn't a full length video was a tv series, think 48minute episode.

software i used would of been dvdflick and imgburn but like i said video didn't play on a standalone dvd player & i honestly don't know if it would play on a blu ray player or not.

5. jwhitt12

jwhitt12 Member

Thanks for the replies!

I think I am missing something here. The original DVD, and any copy thereof, plays on the tv using all the space available. So does any other commercial dvd I have ever seen. This problem only arises when one tries to make a dvd from a variety of videos. On the other hand I can, for instance, create a dvd for a slide show that will also fill the screen.

Now when I make the dvd in question I can even hit the 'full page' button which will actually increase the size of the display by about 10%. Again, I am, obviously, misunderstanding what all you kind responders are telling me. What I think you are telling me is that all dvd's are not created equal and those creased with Nero will not, under any circumstances, duplicate the resolution of the original files?

I have also created an iso file from Shrink DVD. I think I will burn that just to see what happens. <G>