1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hp 200e dvd burner

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sneaktip, Oct 1, 2002.

1. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

DEErek,

I would go with a pioneer. The -r -rw media is more compatible. My first burner was a pioneer and didn't have many issues. don't ask how I ended up taking the machine back and getting the HP.

2. Deerek

Deerek Member

So if I buy the poineer do I still have to ripp the dvd first then burn it also do I loose my subtitles or do I have to do all the stuff I did when I create my VCD, I was just looking at this dvdxcopy is that any good?? I am looking for somthing that will work with all my movies is this realistic or some movie's might not burn

3. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Have you read any of the forums on copying dvds? That will answer all of your questions. But YES, you still have to rip your files. All of that subtitles, stripping, etc. depends on the size of what your trying to copy. The forum thread will explain it to you. I don't know anything about vcd's. Dvdx's???
    In theory, all dvds can be backed up. You should look for a burner that will use -r/rw media. More compatible.

4. Deerek

Deerek Member

Then what the big hipe about the DVD+R/RW drives the people in stores say it's the new thing

5. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Look on vcdhelp.com and find out what media your standalone will support. Then make your decision from there.

6. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hi Phil, I never got an illegal navigation. I start the movie, I use Smartripper to rip just the movie, when done, I open up Ifoedit, do the vob extras and the vts sectors. Everything is in VIDEO_TS folder. I click play DVD in Ifoedit and I get some message about sound, I just ignore it. If everything is okay, the movie starts to play with out all the junk. I close out and I open up Record Now Max and add the folder and click burn. That's it. Sorry to have taken so long to get back, but I had some problems and I got a new ISP, so I don't get half my email. I just came to the site and saw that the thread had gotten bigger.

7. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Laff, yeah... a few ppl have joined in. Weird. That you don't get the illegal nav error. Anyway, it seems every1 has their own invidual case by case issues. Thanks for offering your insight. You know, I might need to start the movie first...and then rip it. I ususally just open up decrypt and start ripping and then edit. I have read that playing the movie first 'unlocks' it. So I'll try that this evening. I'm also going to change the mode compatibility for dvd200 and use +rw and see if I can get it to work. YOu know what....the movie I was talking about I skipped the vob xtra step....

8. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Oh yes, you have to start the movie first for a couple of minutes and then start Smartripper and once it verifies everything, you can close out My Dvd or whatever program you use to play the Dvd. I always rip "movie" and always make sure you start with vts1. When Smartripper is done, go to where you saved these files. I always delete a file that is entitle 'd2v'. It isn't needed and it help saves space on the dvd. Open ifoedit and the file you need is ifo and that contains the info. Scroll down to program 1 where you see the vob ids. They can range from one up to whatever. So if this first line says "uses vob id 1,2, 4, remember this.Go to vob extras on the bottom and a box will open and if you just want the movie and a couple of things, no other languages, the box will show you that maybe just to English boxes are checked, you then click strip it. Another box will open and have a list of vob ids boxes on the left. Put a check mark in the ones that program 1 uses - like 1,2,4. Click strip it and it does it's thing. MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THIS TO A FILE TITLED - VIDEO_TS. After that, close out and reopen ifoedit and open the VIDEO_TS folder. There should only be two files in this folder. Click on the bottom one and then click 'vts sectors' and answer yes to all. Then click open and get the other file and click 'vts sectors'. Click on play dvd in the right corner of screen and the screen will go black and you'll get an error message. Click okay and if everything is right, a box will open on the left and start playing the movie. If it plays, it's a burn. I hope this will help you.

9. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Elayne darling, I forgot to do the vob xtra stuff :) Let me slap myself with the stupid stick. I haven't used smartrip, but I'll give it a try. I have the 'how to' guide so I'll give it a try this evening....question(below)

"Click on play dvd in the right corner of screen and the screen will go black and you'll get an error message. Click okay and if everything is right, a box will open on the left and start playing the movie."

***okay...not sure about that step, but I'll do it. I've had that happen once, when I tried LOR, but I thought it was something I did. So when the error pops up and I click 'ok' the movie will 'still' open up and play????

My only other issue is that my standalone most likely won't read +r, but it supposed to play +rw's. I'm crossing my fingers! It plays -r but I took that computer back, bummer.

10. sneaktip

sneaktip Guest

This is such a pain in the a!!!

11. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

Hey, I went to hell and back and finally got it. A lot of reading and tried step by step. When I finally got it, it was a piece of cake, okay, pie. But I have ripped and burned over 60 dvds. I have tried everything to rempeg and remux and still can't get that, but I will. And I finally got splitting down to a fine art. Sometimes to much reading messes you up. I like Smartripper, Dvd Decrypter always made my computer crash and I had minidumps like crazy. I am sure you will get this. With Smartripper, once the movie plays as you know, open up Smartripper. The default is 'Movie' and save it some place (I use my documents)as VTS_01, when it's done, about 12 to 15 minutes,
    close out. Make your VIDEO_TS folder. Open up ifoedit, load the file and do the vob extras, close out. Reopen and do the VTS sectors on the IFO file first and then the other file in the folder. Press DVD play. An error message will appear, click okay. On the left side of your screen, the movie should start, if it does, burn baby burn. You can get an Apex dvd player for about $60. I got a 3 disc changer for $106 and it has played both, +r and +rw. If your dvd player is only +rw, then that is what you'll have to use when burning. I have been using Memorex and at Office Max, they are on sale. A 5-pack of dvd+r is $15, so at $3 each, that is a real deal.

12. tranluke

tranluke Guest

Hi all,

I used RecordNow Max to make dvd backup with hp200e, and when I clicked on record mode, it appeared an error message said that it was a bad disc. But I used the +rw disc. Please help!

Thanks

13. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

Elanye.
    Well my dvd player won't play +r anything, so I'm going to use my computer to play it on the tv, I have a tv out. I 'started' from scratch and made a working copy of a movie. I haven't tested it in a standalone but as long as its working in my PC I'm not worried. Just mad I spent $200 on a dvd player I can't fully use. Guess I'll just have to buy another! I wish these morons at the the stores wouldn't keep arguing w. about you can't 'burn' movies (how dumb). Smartripper worked great for me. I had gotten use to decrypt, but I'm going to read up some more on smartrip so I can get comfortable with it.
    5pak for $15? I just spent $25 at Best buy for memorex +rw's!!!

TranLuke, uhh u may want to load the aspi setting on ur computer. I had the same issue but I can't rmber how exactly I fixed it. And your sure you have recordMAX and not the regular version that came with your pc? I was getting that error b4 I paid for the upgrade. You also have to make sure that recordnow software is set as your primary recording software.

14. tranluke

tranluke Guest

Hi,

I got the RecordNow Max Platinum version. How do I load the aspi?

Pls advice,

15. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

16. phil1991

phil1991 Regular member

sneaktip. You shouldn't have any issues if your following what Elayne has to say as far as ripping. The steps sound simple, and they are, once you have an understanding of what your doing. Again, take a look at Derrows guides, with visual aide, if u need detailed assist or Msconga's instructions in her dvd9 thread.
    What issues are you having thats a 'pain in the a**?'

The only issue I have now is my player doesn't recognize the + media. The guy at best buy told me to buy a mintek for $59 and they'll play any kind of Dvd media. So I have to use the S-video out and hook PC to my computer whenver I wanna watch a movie. *Ugh*

17. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

I am using Windows XP. I had downloaded several aspi files and they were a pain. With Smartripper, if you get an error message, click okay and Smartripper takes over, and it did. Smartripper read the files and authenicated them. If it does that, everything is fine. I had purchased 4 or 5 dvd players and none of them worked with +r and even the ones that were suppose to read +rw. I finally took a couple of dvds that I burned to the store and had them played on different dvd players. The store hated to see me come in the door. But as I said, I got an Apex 3 disc changer from Circuit City for $106 out the door. About the +rw, a couple of times I got that and I did an erase of the disc and then it worked. Concerning the people in the stores, they don't want to hear about the homemade dvds. But the +r and +rw is fairly new, just a few months old I believe. The companies that came up with it our basically the leaders of the media world and are trying to change over. You know, just to screw with people like us. Now, concerning slpitting the dvd. I had a heck of a time with that. Finally, with Smartripper, I ripped the first half of the files to a folder, when that was done, I ripped the second half to another folder (like disc1 and disc2. I close out and open ifoedit and get the first folder (disc1) and get the vob extras, strip it (remember the vob ids) and save it to VIDEO_TS. Close out and reopen ifoedit. Now you get the VTS sectors. If the movie plays, I burn. I change the name of the first VIDEO_TS to anything. I then open up the disc1 folder and delete the vobs in it but I keep the rest of the information. I then open up disc2 folder and transfer those vobs to disc1 folder and rename them as vob1,2 and so on. I close out and open ifoedit and get that disc1 folder and repeat the process. It has worked for me and I can understand what I'm doing. I hope this will help. Thanks Phil.

18. tranluke

tranluke Guest

Hi,

I ripped the FAMILY MAN to my hard drive. After I splitted, it couldn't play in ifo. Pls show me how to get it play in ifo. I am pretty new at this, and I really need help.

Thanks

19. tranluke

tranluke Guest

Oh, I can play it in ifo now, but the problem now is still the "bad disc". I can't burn in hp200e. Is anyone encounter the same problem?

Let me know, pls!

20. Elayne

Elayne Regular member

I don't know what to tell you. If you did all of the above, you shouldn't have any problem. Just try another disc, maybe the +r. I believe we are getting a message at the bottom of the page. I'm sorry I couldn't help more.