1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hp 840 cd dvd writer

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sharpeee3, Jun 10, 2007.

1. sharpeee3

sharpeee3 Member

Hi im having a problem with my drive it reconizes and plays all cds but when i put a dvd in it it dont reconize it. It did reconize all media and i dont really know what happened or when it stopped working i have windows XP on a compaq presario sr1403wm and a HP840 cd dvd writer please help me

2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Have you tried to update your drives firmware.

3. myth2768

myth2768 Member

I'm having the same problem let me know how you solved it.

4. c1c

c1c Regular member

I have the same external burner. I can't seem to find out my exact model number of the burner so I can update all firmware. Any one know where to find the exact number? I believe some are:

840d, 840i, etc.

5. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If you guys go to Google and search for these two firmware sites you will find the firmware for this burner there.

1. The Dangerous Brothers
    2. The Firmware page

Or you can find it on my profile page.

6. thekochs

thekochs Member

How can you find out what version you have loaded into your drive ?
    I see an old util called HP MyDrive but didn't get a CD with any utils when I bought my 840d...only Nero.

Thanks !

7. thekochs

thekochs Member

Borhan9...forgot...can't find download link for firmware for HP DVD Writer 840d. The HP site has a 03-2006 EXE for 68JH but this is for 840i & b. Can you provide link ? Could not find in your profile.

Also, as I asked above I'd really like to find out what firmware version is currently in my 840d before doing this....how ?

Thanks !

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

If you go into my computer and then right click on your DVD drive and go to properties and then go into your driver section of the properties it will show it there. Or you can load DVD Decrypter or CloneDVD 2 and it will show you the firmware version before you start burning.

Links to the two sites.

The Dangerous Brothers
    http://tdb.rpc1.org/

The Firmware Page
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

I hope that helps.

9. thekochs

thekochs Member

Thakns very much for the feedback but in XP I went into My Computer and right clicked and went to Properties. There was no Driver section there but a Hardware tab. I clicked on it and it did not per say show firmware version but showed "HP DVD Writer 840d Revision HPD3". I then went into Device Manager and right clicked on drive to Propterties and went to driver. Only thing listed was Microsoft 7/1/2001 5.1.2535.0 and the system32 drivers under Details. No firmware info here I could tell.

Thanks for the URLs but neither have 840d...not even 840 I could find. Below is the HP download link...it has 840i and b....no mention of d. Any thoughts ? I'll try DVD Decryptor.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1101461&lang=en

10. thekochs

thekochs Member

UPDATE: Well I downloaded DVD Decrypter (v3.5.4.0)...note hard to find this still. I ran and could not find anywhere it showed firmware version. I launched a DVD for decryption and in the log file the only item was:

SourceDevice [3:0:0] HP DVD Writer 840d HPD3 (E:) (ATA)

That was it....no revision. Any thoughts ? As you can see I'm not eager to download a firmware version from HP that does not show my "d" extension...nor without really knowing as well if it is truly an upgrade.

Thanks for the help and any guidance !!!

11. c1c

c1c Regular member

Hey I am in the same boat as you, why doesnt HP list the 'd' version?

12. c1c

c1c Regular member

I would rather download firmware from HP, not a website called Dangerous Brothers.

13. thekochs

thekochs Member

I got 840d directly from HP Support they e:mailed to me. I'm happy to send the ZIP of the EXE to you...PM me with your e:mail and I'll send. I'd post my e:mail but worried about spam and could not find a way on AfterDawn to upload a zip/attachment. The firmware upgrade really help the issue....no failures for me since.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  14. thekochs

thekochs Member

15. rickh33a

rickh33a Member

hi I had the same problem and decided to uninstall the device and rebooted and voila! that fixed it. Now my HP DVD 840d worked like it did before reading DVDs just fine. Hope this helps