1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hp dc7900 business desktop

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Sep 17, 2015.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have 2 of these. The issue is that when I connect a pc to tv converter box, #1 works just fine while #2 turns the LCD screen RED in color. The same result is sent to the analog tv as well. I ordered a different model on the off chance that the box itself is faulty. I also ordered an HP ELITE8000 which is similar in design to the 7900. I am hoping the desktop itself is "faulty" in that it will not pass the correct signal from the converter. With the box removed the screen colors are correct. No video card used. All ports are on the MB. Would I be better using a simple "pig tail" that is VGA to stereo audio and composite video out/ Presuming there is a VGA signal present at the matching connector. I would prefer NOT to use a video card for the sake of the connector. Any advice welcome.

2. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

What type of cable are you connecting with?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a windows issue.

4. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

15 pin male/male cable from on board vga out to converter vga in, usb power from port to box. As instructed in manual. Color turns RED both on flat screen and analog. Color returns to correct when box is removed.

Next--- HP ELITE8000. Neither usb nor ps2 mouse is recognized nor will the pointer move. I need to have a working pointer in order to make screen choices. Would a BALL mouse of either type work at least temporarily until I can get the optical mouse to be recognized. Advice welcome.

5. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

For the color red problem, I would be looking for bent, broken/missing pins in any of the connectors(highly likely)
    Mouse problem, first get to device manager and delete all instances of a mouse or pointer device and immediately disconnect/unplug the mouse. Next wait a minute and then plug in your USB mouse and see if the machine acknowledges a new USB device has been connected and if it does it will reinstall the correct driver automatically.

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Catch 22 here. Since the mouse is NOT recognized immedeatly I CANNOT get to device manager nor anything. I bought a ball mouse to avoid this and then device manager is accessable. As for the color change there are no bent pins on any of the connectors. I bought another device which has the required connections hard wired. with a vga out for the flat screen. I can only hope for the best.

7. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

rtrg, believe it or not you can actually operate everything on your computer from the keyboard if you know how or are old enough to have learned that from the beginning. You can also enable voice recognition and drive the machine with verbal commands. Keep on plucking away, you'll get it all back like it should be.

8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Thanks. Now if I could prevail on you to tell me the exact keyboard presses to accomplish this that would be welcome.

The converter worked on the troubled desktop. The different brand and design of converter for the second 7900 worked first time. I still do not know if my spare converters are faulty or not. Both 7900's dislike them, just like my printers either like or dislike specific ink brands. All remans. All of this remains a mystery for this baby boomer. Can you teach this boomer new tricks?

9. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Issue solved on it's own.. I waited until the system found and installed drivers, reduced resolution to a tiny size. Mouse not recognized at that time. Depowered tower. Waited some time and repowered desktop. VOILA! mouse recognized, change resolution and wallpaper to island theme. After all that it goes into a closet to wait until I need it. My previous DELL's over the years all died. So far these 3 HP's are much better, faster, more stable. Wish me luck!

10. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

One more thing CP. I found out that these units dislike PCI carda and VIDEO cards installed in ANY slot depite the fact that three of these units had video cards installed and the DC6000 audio port did not work, nor would a card be accepted. Only a usb donggle would work. I quess it likes what it likes. Any installed card causes it to lose video at the port, or it will not boot. The presence of the card is the issue. Live and learn.

11. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Good news is good medicine. I just went through the whole manual keyboard process you asked to have help with, no way man. It took 10 minutes to delete the mouse from device manager, I have the knowledge but had not done that for over 10 years. LOL
    I build my own computers and I (fingers crossed) have the best computers. My kids had a new computer each on the 3rd birthday, that way they are not on my lap wanting to play.
    Oh well, patience is a virtue young man. Use it to your advantage.

12. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

If I was going to do the manual keyboard deal, I would have asked that you let me take control of your machine via remote assistance.

13. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I found info on the web.

14. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I use teamviewer and a phone with all my customers and clients.... Very difficult to help someone on here, going back and forth with posts and not really knowing what they have done....
    Good for you! Research Via Google is the best way to get help... Reading is much better that Peeing on the fence! :(
    Don't pee on electric fence.PNG

15. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

GEEK--- This was an older post and your answer. The issue was solved since then. But I have a new issue with 2 HP;s, DC7900 business, and an ELITE 8000. They are mirrors of each other. The issue is that some of my installation CDs will not install although they apparently read. The INSTALL selection either has no response, or gives an error, "FLASH NOT RESPONDING". no other info. And lastly my laser printer, a BROTHER HL1440 installs but does not respond. In this case I think the printer is toast. I say that because 2 days ago I got it to work by moving the usb cable to various ports. The "FOUND HARDWARE" finely appeared. Since then after setting up 3 more towers the printer stopped responding. My various browsers all were spotty mostly not having a net connection despite the tray icon to the contrary. I swapped the hdd and that took care of it. I am going to clone to a larger drive and then test it in this tower. Any advice welcome.