1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP DVD Writer 300n does not see DVD+R media

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mlw52, May 5, 2004.

1. mlw52

mlw52 Member

chthomson and paradox...

When I was having trouble finding discs that would work in my HP 300 writer and I had purchased a number of discs from different makers, I found this out:

The Ritek DVD+R's write in my drive but don't work the majority of time in my Sony DVD player. But they work in my Brother's newer Sony DVD player. So if you copy a movie and it doesn't work in your home player, give it to a friend to try in thier's before turning it into a coaster. Smile. Also don't worry if you've bought several types of media DVD+R or RW while having recording problems. I did worry but later found that I could use all the media I had bought. So I was well stocked! Haa! The discs that worked best in my home DVD player were Maxell and Fuji (up to 4 speed). This DVD 300 HP drive writes at 2.4x and the up to 4x is fine. The Ritek discs give me a good one out of every 5 or so discs for my home player, but those that don't work/play on my home player, do work/play on someone elses. The main thing is the discs must be + discs. Trade those - discs in for the + ones! Hope this helps! So not all discs are unusable.

2. jg6198

jg6198 Guest

I have the HP300N and had no coasters using TDK or Ridata disk with manufacturer ID RICOHJPN01. Over 200 burns and not one coaster.

3. egg333

egg333 Member

I am having the same problem too when i purchased some memorex dvd-r's for my HP pavilion PC it says please insert a blank dvd into the rewriter drive and its really annoying, I downloaded the firmware upgrade 300n version 3.2 and it still doesent work, can you help thanks egg33.

4. egg333

egg333 Member

I have the HP DVD-RW 400i do i download the 400c firmware upgrade??? thanks egg333.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  5. egg333

egg333 Member

I now have downloaded the 400c firmware upgraded and the same problem still occurs and i cannot copy onto the dvd-r discs, can u please help me thanks egg333.

6. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi egg333
    Please clarify the DVD burner the 300n or the HP DVD-RW 400i. Both HP burners are +R /+RW DVD burners. The only dual burner they sell is the 420. The Memorex dvd-r's will not work in these burners.
    For more details on the differences see http://digitalfaq.com/othervideo/dvdformats.htm
    I hope this helps

PS This burner works well with Maxell +R media and Ritek + R media

7. mlw52

mlw52 Member

hi egg333 ,
    Do you have your manual for your computer and DVD writer? I don't have the 400n but would think it is the same as the 300n and only writes to + discs. The firmware will not help you with that. The firmware is only supposed to help with writing speed . And the HP tech told me not to use the firmware updates as they cause more trouble. They also said that the HP 300n writers only write to the positive (+) discs such as are marked DVD+R or DVD+RW discs. Forget the updates on firmware and try the DVD+ discs first. If that doesn't do it look at the writing program that you are using. What kind are you using? Are you using the DVD writing or copy program that came with your computer? Do you have a decrypter program or are you not using one? Is your DVD writer also a CD writer? Does it write to CDs okay? In other words are you only having problems with writing to DVD's? If every thing else is working well, TRY the DVD+R or DVD+RW discs. That should fix your problem. Hope I have been of some help, if not, you can call HP Tech Support 24/7 at this number if I were you and had a warranty: 1-800-474-6836 . That's their direct line. Or go to HP.com and look at their boards for help. I'll try to help you further if you you'd like my help. Hope the DVD+ disks do it for you. Good luck!

8. Raymomofo

Raymomofo Member

So I'm thinking that the best discs too use for this drive are the maxwell dvd+r(w) and the TDK ones? I had trouble burning memorex due to the stupid CMC media code...Waste of discs

9. mlw52

mlw52 Member

I don't know any thing about the CMC media code on Memorex or any disc. I just know that TDK and Maxell DVD+R(RW) media discs work fine with my HP DVD Writer. Some Ritek discs work fine with it also. I haven't tried Memorex dvd+r(rw), but Iv'e heard of no problems until yours in using them. The recording program or software also decides which disks it will accept, not just the DVD Write. For instance I can't use TDK discs with the roxio dvd copier that came with my computer. I can use TDK with my ICOPYDVDS2 software. Everyone's computer is set up to use or not use certain DVD media. But what I will tell you is...I have had no trouble what so ever with Maxell DVD+R(RW)'s or CD-R(RW)'s. So my best advice is go with Maxell. Good luck!

10. Raymomofo

Raymomofo Member

Alright...The next time I see the maxwell discs, ill get some and try it out. What program would you use to backup your files btw?

11. mlw52

mlw52 Member

I currently don't use a particular program for that. I save every thing to CD's periodically. I've had trouble with those back up programs and have heard the same from others. Perhaps you should start a new thread question on that. I like the Microsoft XP restore point program on my HP. It does great for me and using CD's to copy my work periodically is the safest method I can think of. I'm not the one to talk to about those back up programs. Good luck!

12. Raymomofo

Raymomofo Member

I don't want to periodically back up my computer. I just want to create data discs to burn the files and then delete them off my computer to free some space. Do you know if the maxwell discs work well with nero 6?

13. mlw52

mlw52 Member

I'm not familiar with Nero 6, sorry. The Maxell CD's work great with all my programs. That's all I can tell you. I use CD-RW's for all that sort of thing.
    I only use DVD+R(RW)s for Movies.
    Good luck...

14. _paradox_

_paradox_ Member

Sweetness! Thank you guys for your help. My problem has been solved. I can use nearly any CD-R or CD-RW it seems; but for DVD's, I bought some Maxell DVD+RWs which worked where DVD-RWs (by the same manufacturer) failed.

Yay!

15. gambler99

gambler99 Member

Great to see this message board. Found it via a google search. I made over 100 DVD burns using 321 software and all of a sudden, I started having the exact problem described here. My problem is that I am out of warranty. Do you all think that this is a big problem and maybe HP would give me a new drive? If I am replacing the current device, any suggestions as to where to get it done and what DVD device I should get? Thanks in advance.

G99

16. mlw52

mlw52 Member

Hello gambler99...
    Are you using the same drive, HP 300n dvd drive, as we have been using? I'm not familiar with 321 software. Perhaps someone else is on this board. Have you tried different software for writing dvd's/cd's ? What exactly is your problem? If your drive is the problem and you are out of warranty, I would think that HP or your warranty company would not be able to give you a new drive. You could call HP sales and ask them what drive they suggest using as a replacement for your old one and tell them about your current drives problem. If you call HP tech support, they will charge you if your pc is out of warranty. But sales won't.I always check to see what they know works best with my HP pc. They keep a running record on compatible and none compatible hardware and software. Maybe you could get that list from the HP.com site. It's worth checking into. You might get lucky, there is always a slim chance of such miracles occurring. Smile.

Have you ever done any repairs on your pc yourself? That's the cheapest way if you feel able. If not, places like Best Buy and Office supply stores usually have in house service departments. They can remove and replace your old drive or upgrade your computer hardware and software for you locally. HP has service centers around the world. Check their site for that info also. I prefer to do my own repairs or to have them done locally. I don't like to ship pc's. I don't want to end up with other problems because they came about due to shipping accidents. Smile. If you decide not to have HP fix your pc or that their drive is to costly compaired to another one available locally, then just take the specs that the HP sales person gives you on the drive they offer, down to your local computer store to get the right drive. You'll need to know the speed drive that your software, pc, can support. Get the specs from HP sales and then start checking prices and drives. Good luck! Hope this helps some.

17. texassee

texassee Member

I just bought a new Compaq Presario on July 24th and I am having the same prob as the rest of you. My HP 400c DVD writer will not write to Memorex. I have talked to the techs and they tell me to try different media. Will this work or do I need to download the firmware.

18. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

19. texassee

texassee Member

Thanks CH,
    I am trying to burn on a Memorex DVD+R and Memorex CD-R and neither one are recognized. I was successful at burning my recovery program from part.D: drive but I can't burn,copy,paste,nothing to get some jpeg files on them. 2 Different HP techs have said to try different media. Where do I get the firmware?

20. chthomson

chthomson Regular member