1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP DVD Writer 300n

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Sidetrack, Oct 8, 2004.

1. Sidetrack

Sidetrack Guest

I have gotten many conflicting answers to whether I can write Video files from my Hard Drive to DVD-R
    Is there an answer anywhere. Am trying to use ArcSoft
    which came on my Compaq with Windows XP.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Sidetrack, Yes it can be done. The files just need to be converted to dvd compliant format. Depending what format the originals are in will determine how much work you will need to do. Check out this link. It may help get you started.
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_avi_to_dvd.cfm
    Good luck with your project.

Jerry

3. Sidetrack

Sidetrack Guest

Jerry, thanks a lot for responding. I don't think I have the education for following all the link's info.
    Do you think it would work if I used a different type of media, such as DVD+R or DVD RW

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

The type media (+ or -) isn't going to make any difference if the video files are not in the proper format. They have to be converted so the player you use for playback can read them properly. Otherwise the player won't start or see the disc when inserted.

Jerry

5. Sidetrack

Sidetrack Guest

Jerry, thanks again, I wish to state that I am not so new to computers, just to DVD media. I have been to HP's site and exhusted all options for finding info about the HP DVD-R Writer that is im my Compaq.Site only list these 3
    » HP DVD Writer dvd300e
    » HP DVD Writer dvd300i
    » HP DVD Writer dvd300xe
    Is there anyway that you could tell me if this drive HP DVD Writer dvd300n actully writes files to a DVD-R. I see the message in my sleep now I have seen it so often from trying. "there is no media in the drive"

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

All the HP 300 series writers are + writers only. Hp's 1st Dual format writer that takes both + and - is the 420 series I'm pretty sure. The letter assigned after the 300 I think has to do with firmware versions. When you update a firmware on HP drives it will sometime change that letter on the end. Yours is a + burner only.

Jerry