1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP DVD640i

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by tafkam, Mar 2, 2005.

1. tafkam

tafkam Guest

I see Wal Mart has these with LightScribe for 99 bucks, anyone have any experience with these? The LightScribe feature looks kind of cool but I guess you have to use their special disks for that but I guess that is ok but don't know priceing on the disks. Anyone have one of these burners and how do you like it?

2. coolman12

coolman12 Member

Hi I bought one of these.I tried it.Don't expect that the cd cover that the burner makes will look anything similiar to a cd that was printed with silkscreen.The image or words printed by the laser only prints in grey scale,actually almost like black and white.The thing I don't like is.. the finished print is a little to light.There is not enough contrast.There is no color option.But the print does not scratch or smudged even under water.The special cds that the burner uses can be purchased for about .50 cents each.It is not bad for the price

3. tafkam

tafkam Guest

Yeah I ended up getting one, heck for a hundred bucks why not try it. I like it so far, and like you say it is nothing when comparing to a silkscreen but it does the job on those CD's I want to look a little nicer than writing on them with a Sharpie. It is not my main burner anyway, just the "read" dvd for when I burn to my Plextor, but all in all I am glad I got it. Only problem so far is they don't seem to post firmware updates on their site, or maybe there are none for this model yet.....