1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hp elite 8000 cmt mobo sata ports

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by rtrg, Sep 10, 2020.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

please move if needed. the mobo has 4 sata ports of different colors, blue, dark blue, white, orange, and one esata black. the photo I have identifies that white is for C drive, orange is for a secondary drive, dk blue is for first optical drive, and lite blue is for a second optical drive. the photo also says that either blue port could be used for a third hdd. my desktop uses different ports for these same connections. does this mean that any of the 4 ports could be used for any device, hdd or optical drive? I installed a third party cloning app that can clone 2 hdds at the same time. currently I have one unused port of the 4. is this the port I would use for the third hdd? so I can clone both at the same time? is the clone speed reduced or stay the same? I will clone one at a time if needed. somehow one hdd failed. the system rejects the drive no matter what I try to do with it. I bought 2 hdds with win7 pre written to them.those are the two I want to clone to save time reinstalling 35 apps! is this possible?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yes sata ports for any device. To make it work so computer can see the hdd it may need enabling in the bios.
    Doesn't matter what port is to what hdd it has no bearing on anything; So long as you know which hdd is which you can go ahead.
    Cloning 2 at the same time. Never tried it. Should be ok tho it would pay to refrain from using it (pc) till job is done

For cloning advice bookmark this
    http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

thanks. I made a mistake in my previous post I will correct. I uded AOMEI 6 BACKUPPER for the clone, one at a time 6 times only because I had spare hdds laying around all removed from dead desktops. various storage sixe and brands. all worked and were bootable. do you know of any free clone app that can clone two at a time the limit of my desktop unless I "borrow" the cables from the optical drive for #3 hdd making 1 source and 3 targets. name of app, and download link?

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If any app could clone multiple it would be an enterprise version or technician. I'm not aware of any normal clone software that can clone more than 1 at a time, unless easeus todo can or acronis