1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HR10-250 DVR & NO phone line, do I need oe

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by Dano135, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Dano135

Dano135 Guest

Hello and thank you for the wonderful information provided within this site. I just received the HR10-250 from DirectTV. On the phone I was told I didn't need a phone line but I have since learned that the HD DVR must have a phone line compared to the non-HD that doesn't need a phone line.

Is this true and do you know a work around because I don't want to pay a monthly fee for a phone line but I will if i have to and do I just need one to set it up and then can I cancel the phone line.

Thank You,

Dan

2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

The person who told you you didn't need one flat out lied to you. I have one of these, The Hughes HR10-250 requires a land-based phone connection to operate properly, in fact you can not complete the initial setup without it. The reason is because this particular model still incorparates the TiVO technology and software in it. The non-HD version which is DirecTv's R15 model does not require one. This is because DirecTv parted company from TiVo and started making their own in house DVR device. While DTV would like you to have a phone connection on the R15 it will not hamper usage if you don't, whereas with the HR10-250 it won't work right without it. Only option is to get a phone line, take it to a friend's house and set it up there and then come back home, or wait til DirecTv puts out their own HD-DVR model.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2006